Pie Town

Pie Town

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Pie Town, New Mexico, was once legendary for its extraordinary pies. But it's been a while since these delectable desserts graced the counter at the local diner. The townspeople—a hearty mix of Anglos, Hispanics, and Native Americans—like to think of themselves as family, especially when it comes to caring for Alex, a disabled little boy being raised by his grandparents. B...more
Published June 7th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pie Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pie Town

Amy
After winning this one thorugh a Goodreads giveaway, I sat right down with it, looking forward to a nice, feel-good, hometown story, and that's pretty much what I got...to a point.

This is a tough one to write. Was it interesting? Meh...yeah. Was is a nice little story of life in a small town? Meh...yeah. Unfortunately, though, it was a little too 'nice' for my tastes. I'm not really a fan of anything that's too sugary-sweet or predictable, which is why I'm not a big fan of the romance genre. Giv...more
Book Him Danno
The characters in this book were sweet and endearing at times, but just a bit one sided and flat at the others. I found this book to be difficult to really get into and the lives of the people to be quite predictable. Otis was sweet and silly, but you really didn’t get much deeper than that into his character and while everyone adored Alex…Why did they adore Alex except for the fact that he was born ill and wise beyond his years and …I didn’t really understand that bit at all. The priest who had...more
Scarlett Sims
This is definitely not the kind of book I usually pick up. I got it free from Goodreads First Reads, and I actually thought it would be more of a culinary type novel. There are some recipes in the back, but mainly this falls under the category that I think might be called "inspirational fiction." I know some people who might like this book, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The woman who wrote it is a pastor, so we can infer from that that she is hardly what you'd call "orthodox." I also found it int...more
Cindy
Aug 27, 2011 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shannon, Aimee, Joy, Michelle, Debbie
Years ago I met Lynne Hinton at the Festival of Books when she wrote the "Cake" series. I had not wanted to like the first book, and only read it because my book club insisted. I was so glad I did. We met with another book club which consisted of black women called the Sista Circle to discuss Lynne's book and had a terrific conversation stimulated by The Friendship Cake. We all liked the book. Lynne herself is a lovely, intelligent woman and I am honored to have her as a friend. Its true her boo...more
Fayedmeyer
This is not the type of book I usually read, which probably didn't help my opinion of it. I picked up this book because I live quite close to the real Pie Town, New Mexico (where, incidentally, you can find excellent pies) and I was curious to see an outsider's perception of the town. This was perhaps a mistake on my part, as it was impossible for me to enjoy the book knowing how the real Pie Town actually is.

Even putting all that aside, I did not find the plot or characters particularly compell...more
Meagan Grosskreutz
Very good book. One of the best books I have read in a LONG time....
Aspasia
This was a cute and quick read that wasn't too sappy or preachy; however, I was shocked to see swear words in a Christian fiction novel. I know some Christian fiction has gotten more edgy in the last few years but this really surprised me...

Pie Town. A homey name for a small town that conjures up pies, home cooking, and love. Unfortunately, Pie Town does not live up to its name or warm and fuzzy connotations. First, there is no pie (the bakery shut down years ago) and, second, the Pie Town resid...more
Amy Siggelow
I won this wonderful book from the Early Reviewers on Library Thing.

This is definitely the type of "feel good" book that I love to read. A book with a message and a wonderful, uplifting story.

There are a few pivotal characters in this book, three of whom stick out the most. There is the new priest, Father George, who is assigned to Pie Town (which has not a pie sold in the whole town!) after finishing his seminary work. Father George picks up Trina, a hitch-hiking young woman, escaping an abusiv...more
Tonya
Lynne Hinton is an excellent author. With that being said, I love stories in the south. This one takes place in New Mexico. Now don't get me wrong, stories can be anywhere but I love the southern feel and charm.

This one just seemed like we knew where it was headed, and it wrapped up with a neat bow.

The characters are likable, not lovable. I couldn't get close to any of them. They all were just within reach of my fingertips but not attainable. Oris did make me laugh, but I wonder where his humor...more
Carolyn
Debbie Maskus
I have read other books by Lynne Hinton, and have actually met the author. Lynne Hinton is a pastor and many of her stories involve religion and common everyday life. My first introduction to Lynne Hinton was Friendship Cake, an interesting novel with the same women appearing in following novels. Pie Town is set in New Mexico, instead of the South. And instead of African Americans, Hinton portrays Native Americans. I especially liked the angel chorus at the beginning of every section. The story...more
McGuffy Morris

Based on an actual place, Lynne Hinton creates another small town of wonderful characters that live in a unique area of the South-Western United States.

Pie Town is a small desert town inhabited by a variety of people and cultures: Anglo, Hispanic and Native American. They live and support each other as community and as family, as well.

Longtime residents, being close and very traditional, find it hard to accept and adapt to a new priest. In fact, takes a little handicapped boy to convince the tow...more
Amy
This was a FirstReads giveaway book on goodreads. This novel takes place in a small town in New Mexico, called Pie Town, where ironically, there is no pie. The town has come together to care for a young boy with disabilities, who has been left in the care of his grandparents after being abandoned by his mother. The town sees itself as tight-knit because of the care of this boy, however, their values and intentions are challenged when the new priest and a hitch-hiking single woman come to town an...more
Amy La
I grabbed this book randomly at the library for a light easy read. I enjoyed the character development. the last half of the book felt rushed into resolution and lacked most of the detail similar to the earlier portion of the story.
Christina
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and was very excited to receive it. I love the Mitford books, and the description led me to think that "Pie Town" was something like them. I was not disappointed. I was immediately enamored of the sweetness and sorrow that all the characters in the book experience. The townspeople of Pie Town are real and, for the most part, likeable (unless they're not intended to be).

My only complaint is, perhaps, an overabundance of characters. There are a few instance...more
Laurie Gienapp
This was a book I received free, as one of the Goodreads giveaways.

I'd expected something a bit more lighthearted, and perhaps even a bit silly, but that was not the case. The setting, and the key characters, were fairly serious, and some of the ideas explored by the book were also fairly serious. Having said that, the book was a fast read (I finished it on a 4 hour flight, and had to dig in my bag for a 2nd book).

Detailed character development. Not an outstanding book, but definitely better tha...more
Virginia
Nancy
Pie Town, New Mexico is a small community that does not have the quaint all encompassing attitude that I expect to find in books about such groups. The story revolves around how the community deals with several new members, including a Catholic priest. One of the central characters is a young boy who was born with spina bifida. He is visited by an angel, his great grandmother. Lynne Hinton deals with some existential questions in conversations that take place with the priest. This is not an in y...more
Lisa
Mar 17, 2012 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
I first began reading this author's books when I bumped into them at the library. I enjoyed the Friendship series of the group of women. They made a great ensemble! Lynne Hinton's books always touch my heart. I began looking for information about her, and was awed that she is a pastor and can write about issues with no underlying judgement. I have never met her, but I'm a fan on her Facebook. I just began Pie Town and already love it. I'm looking forward to the sequel. Whatever she writes, I'm h...more
Donna
This was the first book by this author that I have read and I was drawn to it by the cover and title. Lynne Hinton is starting a new series with the book about a small town in New Mexico. Two strangers appear in town and we are introduced to the regular members of the community. I enjoyed the story and the characters. There were tender moments as the story develops. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Claudia Mundell
I have read other books by Lynne Hinton. Her work is always pleasant and uplifting. Pie Town starts a little slowly but gathers speed. The author, an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, writes intelligently about the Catholic faith and people who practice it in New Mexico. She reminds us that God can be called by many names as she writes a novel about brokenness and healing. A good read....
Christine
a story of hope that will make you cry and then smile...
Angela Taylor
Alex, an 11 yr old disabled boy, has a unique relationship w/ everyone in his life (which is everyone in town). He is wise beyond his years, he even has his own guardian angel. It is amazing how one child can bring strangers together, resolve differences, and bring neighbors closer. i enjoyed this book very much and have shared it with family members who i know will love it too.
Rose Frase
This is a book about relationships: husband to wife, parent to child, townspeople to each other, townspeople to strangers, stranger to stranger. It is about a town in need of redemption and revitalization. But it is also about how God uses the people we know, as well as those we don't, to give us what we need, even when we don't recognize that need.
Shannon
This book sounds like a great story!! Real interesting characters and I love stories of towns small and large that come together and all the interactions you get from that! I've always wanted to go to New Mexico so that really drew me to this book! I'm really looking forward to reading this! Oh and the pie didn't hurt my intrest either!! :)
Cheryl Allred
This book is what I call "vanilla". It was good but not exciting - just so-so. Interesting enough to keep reading, waiting for something exciting to happen, which never really did. I finished it but would not recommend it. It is the first book in a series but I don't plan on reading any more subsequent books.
Nancy F
The people of Pie Town rally around a disabled boy, Alex, who is being raised by his grandparents. Father George, a new priest arrives with a hitchhiker Trina who almost everyone thinks is trouble. Another likable story by Lynne Hinton centered around a small town with a big heart.
Gail
This book was "literary-ish." The priest character wasn't very likable at the beginning. It was kind of a "small towns will heal you" type of story, but not exactly. Some of the people had to leave before they could be healed--but it was about healing. And pies. :) I liked the story.
Lottie
Aug 16, 2011 Lottie added it
I am about one/quarter into the book and so far it is delightful. It seems to be a lively story and has me thinking about fiction writing. How and why am I getting a strong sense of "place" when most of my thought while reading has been about the various characters.
Janice Crespo
I really thought this book was going to be corny - LOL OK - maybe parts were but the one thing I do have to look forward to is another book! I am so ready - great book for reading - insightful, educational, heart-warming - definitely an author to keep an eye on!
  • You
  • When Sparrows Fall
  • The Gift Giver: A True Story
  • Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)
  • The Clouds Roll Away
  • Along Came a Cowboy (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #2)
  • Coming Unglued
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Fear No Evil
  • In the Arms of Immortals: A Novel of Darkness and Light (Chronicles of the Scribe, #2)
  • The Fine Art of Insincerity: A Novel
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Angel's Den
  • Bon Appetit (French Twist #2)
  • Fatty Patty (A James Bay Novel, #1)
  • The Art of Romance (Matchmakers #2)
  • Angel Harp
  • A Flickering Light (Portraits of the Heart, #1)
Lynne Hinton is the pastor of St. Paul's United Church of Christ in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The author of numerous novels including Friendship Cake, Hope Springs, Forever Friends, Christmas Cake, and Wedding Cake, she lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
More about Lynne Hinton...
Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1) The Arms of God Christmas Cake The Order of Things The Things I Know Best