The Make

The Make

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane’s gritty fourth novel.Life is good for Gracie Doyle - running her Manchester casino keeps her busy. Until the police turn up at her door one day and her world is turned upside down. She is given news that her two estranged brothers have been viciously attacked. George is in hospital on a ventilator and worringly, Harry...more
Published January 20th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Make

Best Crime Books
Jessie Keane started off her books with an absolutely brilliant trilogy featuring a character by the name of Annie Bailey. When I finished them I was a little worried about whether her follow on books would create such good characters. Thankfully her following book Jail Bait was a great book too with brilliant plot and characters.

This latest book is of exactly the same making. We meet Gracie Doyle who is far from perfect but is great to read about. There is no hanging around waiting for the plot...more
Jue
A gripping, heart racing murder mystery novel. Easy to read with the short chapters. A little raw in places, but it would not be a Jessie Keane novel without it.
Lainy
Time taken to read - 3 days

Publisher - Harper

blurb from Goodreads

Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane's gritty fourth novel.

Life is good for Gracie Doyle – running her Manchester casino keeps her busy. Until the police turn up at her door one day and her world is turned upside down. She is given news that her two estranged brothers have been viciously attacked. George is in hospital on a ventilator and worringly, Harry is missing.

Gracie has no option but to leave the good life...more
Bill McCartney
Jessie King’s writing is compared with that of Martina Cole, a compliment with which I must agree. Moreover, Jessie seems to cover the same gritty stuff without recourse to the repetitive use of ribald wording that seem to permeate the narrative in Martina’s books.

The content might appeal more to men in particular whose sexuality borders on the bi or homo variety, as I found this aspect a bit overdone for my literary and personal taste,

Youngish straight men could find an apparent attraction in s...more
Donna
This is the fourth book I have read from Jessie Keane and I haven't been disappointed yet. The Make is a dual narrative between Gracie Doyle, A Casino owner in Manchester, and her two estranged brothers who have started to run an escort agency in London. The siblings are soon drawn back together after one of the brothers is brutally attacked and one is kidnapped. the dual narrative makes this thriller a real page turner. I read it in 24 hours. A really, really good read.
Adele
Couldn't put this book down!! Really enjoyed it.
Book Addict Shaun
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the Annie Carter books but it was still a good read. I just didn't care about the characters as much as in the Annie books. I did like the way the story kept jumping back and forth between the characters though. And the way it was left on a cliffhanger, hopefully Jessie will write a sequel one day.
Molly
this book grips you from the very beginning to end it will have you on the edge of your seat! its a little uncomfortable in places but its still a fantastic read!
Sarahlyn
I thought Jessie Keane is a rough diamond in the mine, a rare find. Much as I like to read, the more I read, the more difficult it is for most stories to grip me. And hers do. I'm really upset that my national library here in my country doesn't stock all the books after "The Make", nor do the usual bookstores.
Gem
I got 50 pages in and couldn't read any more. the violence, the hatred, the language just isn't for me I'm afraid. there's enough of it out there without reading stories with it in
Valerie Smith
Cracking book really enjoyed it, it was hard to put down! The story was brilliant woven around the characters, and I was sorry when I finished it!
Shaz Webster
Reading them all in order and this is the best yet. Jessie's writing and storytelling gets better with each book. Deffo a 5 star read from me!
Chris
If you like Martin Cole, you will like Jessie Keane. Easy to read, straight into the storyline, I liked it, good holiday read.
Claire-louise Brown
A good book. Mainly predictable with an odd twist at the end. Easy read not a patch on marina cole but still worth a read.
Denise
Did not enjoy this book as much as the others i have read of Jessie Keane .Found this one a bit slow .
Julie
The best of Jessie Keane books. Very gritty and hard to put down.
Julia Connor
Fantastic read, look forward to reading more by this author.
Debi Easthaugh
very good but not as good as the annie carter series.
Christine Coultrup
Once you start reading you won't want to put it Down
Louise Barracks
Brilliant read but still prefer Martina Cole
Theweebarrell
another good book by Jessie Keane
Gemma
Always a fan of Jessie keane.
Sue Andrews
Sue Andrews is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Melita Sheppard
Melita Sheppard is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Now what about me? I’ve done a lot of writing, but way back before I even dreamed I could be a professional writer I was just the youngest in a big family. My Dad was a surveyor with an edge of brilliance. My Mum was from gipsy roots and used to drive around in a goat-cart (yes, really!) when she was little. Once we were rich (although I didn’t know it then, and it was all thanks to my Dad’s ingen...more
More about Jessie Keane...
Dirty Game (Annie Carter #1) Black Widow (Annie Carter #2) Scarlet Women (Annie Carter #3) Playing Dead (Annie Carter #4) Jail Bird