Start by marking “Dark Angel (Stapleton-Downes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Angel (Stapleton-Downes, #3)

Dark Angel (Stapleton-Downes #3)

Jennifer Winwood arrives in London with her cousin, Samantha Newman, for their come-out Season. Jennifer is particularly excited because finally the marriage that has been arranged between her and Lionel, Viscount Kersey, will become a reality. It seems to her that she has loved him forever, and she assumes that he loves her.

Gabriel, Earl of Thornhill, has just returned t
Published August 1st 1994 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Dark Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Angel

Ridley
Miss Jennifer Winwood is in town for her very first Season and positively vibrating with the excitement of it. Unlike other girls on their come out, though, she's not here to snag a husband. That was set for her five years ago, when she was 15, when her viscount father arranged her betrothal to a the heir to an earldom, Viscount Kersey. For five years she has constructed and worshipped a mental image of Kersey and the wonderful life they'll no doubt enjoy as a married couple. The joy of finally ...more
kris
Sep 16, 2014 kris rated it it was ok
Jennifer is supposed to marry Lionel, who slept with Gabriel's stepmom a few years ago. Gabriel decides on the classic REVENGE DISH, best served sweet and cold. BUT THEN FEELINGS GET IN THE WAY!!

1. I'm so over the revenge trope.

2. So due to ~reasons, Gabriel and Jennifer end up married ASAP. Like 24 hours after her father CANES HER, they're boning. WHICH IS JUST. HER POOR BUTT.

3. Lionel is such a dick. Love it.

4. Jennifer is SUPER HOT, YOU GUYS. JUST SO FINE.

5. I was just kind of bored by th
Naksed
Tina
Jan 24, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Jennifer Windwood and Samantha Newman are cousins who are just arrived in London to make their debut. For Jennifer there is no pressure because she is already practically betrothed to the breathtakingly handsome Lionel, Viscount Kersey. And Samantha should take well because she is incomparably beautiful.

And indeed, both women are very much admired during their stay. Samantha attracts a large court of beaus, while Jennifer, although the presumptive fiancee of Lord Kersey attracts attention of a v
Lemon
This was U-N-B-E-A-R-A-B-L-Y painful to read. Does every sentence spoken by a character need to end in "was it not" or "does it not"? Two hundred twenty-two pages and I could probably count the lines of dialogue on my fingers. After all, the dialogue adds a lot to the story, does it not? The limited dialogue did not advance the plot and was limited to mundane idiotic things like "the ball was wonderful, was it not?"

The heroine was a moronic idiot- "when x happens, imbecile but oh so handsome
Katie
I thought reading the companion sequel, Lord Carew's Bride, was a good thing, but now I think it was not! It made me think this book would be up my alley, but I didn't realize it was allll about revenge.

It's okay, though, because they fall in love super-quickly, so who cares he was just using her to begin with???

Also, the initial sex scene came off as rather dubcon to me. (view spoiler)
steph
This book was bad. Just so bad. Basically for 200 pages two guys fought and hated each other and used Jennifer as a unsuspecting pawn in their scheme. And then, finally when Gabriel marries her (because of a letter read at a ball IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE TON. Oh Lional you arse), they fall in love within three days and live happily ever after. NOT EVEN KIDDING.
Sharyn
Dec 27, 2012 Sharyn rated it really liked it
Written in 1994, reissued in 2010, the 1st in a series of 4 books with the same characters, they are traditional Regencies with warm love scenes. I think this is a lovely book. The misunderstood Hero , out for revenge, falls in love with his intended victim. She cannot understand why she is attracted to him when she is in love with her intended fiance. Through twists and turns, love of course conquers all. On to the next story.
Yackie
Jan 07, 2014 Yackie rated it really liked it
Caution SPOILERS ahead.

I could not put this book down. The hero and heroine were great even though they weren't perfect. Jennifer is young and naive even though she doesn't like being thought of as such. She's been in love with the idea of Lionel since she was 15 years old. She knows nothing different so she has convinced herself she loves him even though they've rarely seen each other in those 5 years. She wanted to be happy and having her marriage arranged she wanted her betrothed to be the on
*The Angry Reader*
Sep 26, 2015 *The Angry Reader* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals
Tracie
Jun 17, 2012 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I really enjoy Mary Balogh's traditional regencies. The are a bit deeper than a usual traditional regency.

I was a bit troubled by how Gabriel used Jennifer in this book, but in the end I felt for Gabriel. He got caught up in his own game and realized the stakes were quite high indeed. I like that Jennifer didn't back down from him and gave him hell when she found out. I liked the plot and that things were turned upside down on Gabriel which forced his hand. I wanted to know what Rutherford said
Ning

กอานไดเพลิน ๆ
ให 3.5 ดาวคะ
Gail
Mar 18, 2010 Gail rated it liked it
I've read most of Balogh's books in this sort-of series, and loved them all. But I didn't remember reading this one. So I'm glad I found it. It's a revenge plot with an innocent heroine caught in the middle. She's a little too willfully innocent and ignorant for my taste, but I liked the story. Good read.
Cecilia
Dec 26, 2012 Cecilia rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
This is just not one of my favourite Baloghs. It has potential, because the hero is complex, but so much of the book is focused on the destructive games played by the hero and his nemesis that I never can quite feel the relationship between the hero and heroine.
Janet
Aug 08, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
Sexy and scary. The villain is really despicable. There has never been a reader that thought Lionel was redeemable. Sexual relations are treated in an interesting way ... very Balogh*esque.
Carol Storm
Nov 18, 2013 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
Dark and moody, this late-period Balogh Regency delivers all the sensual thrills and aching desire her legions of fans have come to expect!
Ben Pim
Rebecca
Apr 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Cute, happy romance that ends, in my opinion, very abruptly. Balogh is, as always, an incredible storyteller even if I was a little unhappy with the end
Dana
May 16, 2010 Dana rated it it was ok
There were parts of this I liked but the hero was kind of a tool.
Matilda BGR
May 19, 2017 Matilda BGR rated it liked it
2.5 or so

Romances that go from the hero ogling the heroine the park and imagining her in bed to matrimony in about three weeks make me insane.

Gabriel and Jenny are nice people, not too stupid, though Jenny's insistence that she is "in love" with her betrothed Lionel is beyond naive. The repetition of her unfounded "love" for him is almost unbearable.

And Lionel, the villain, is just over the top in his evilness. (view spoiler)
Farshana
May 09, 2017 Farshana rated it it was ok
Shelves: open-lib
It was alright to read for fun, somehow I was more interested in knowing about Samantha rather than about main protagonists. Of course I would have preferred for the negative character to be defamed and endure more for the crimes than the actual set back he is suffering in the story.
Cindy
Mar 11, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Regency romance with sex, this is the 3rd in the series. A reread for me.

WOW! Loved this story. Gabriel is back from the Continent, where he fled with his pregnant step-mother. He decides to get revenge against the cad who impregnated her. His revenge however involves Jennifer, who is Lord Kersey's intended. Gabriel likes her & has to choose whether to let her get caught in the middle or let petty revenge go.

I especially loved Bertie, Gabriel's friend who falls for plain, quiet Rosalie wh
Veronica
Quando il cervello e il buon senso sono stati distribuiti, Miss Jennifer non si trovava ancora a Londra purtroppo...
Mai trovata una protagonista più stupida di questa qui!
Dai, il padre le combina un fidanzamento con Lord Kersey e lei in 5 anni lo vede giusto un paio di volte, nelle quali lui è più freddo e gelido di un lago ghiacciato, fa commenti sprezzanti, è distaccato, la tratta come una stupida (cosa che effettivamente è, ma vabbè...) e lei che fa? Dice che si fida del padre e quindi anche
Leona
Sep 01, 2014 Leona rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, regency
It had so much potential, but every time I felt like the book was going to take off, it stalled.

The characters were absolutely abysmal, especially, the heroine. She was TSTL. The resolution was so conveniently tied up into a neat package that it was not only unbelievable, but very disappointing.

Was I really expected to believe that the parents of the evil Kersey were going to publicly humiliate him and live with the ridicule of the "ton" just to save the honor of a woman they personally destro
Kathy
Feb 03, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Although I have been reading romances for nearly 40 years, I just recently came across this author. Having read one of the later books in this series, I was interested enough to hunt down many of the others. This book has the perfect villian, Lionel Kersey, a handsom, charming man whose beautiful facade hides his cruel and self-absorbed nature. He has been betrothed to our heroine, Jenny, for five years, and she is totally besotted. Enter the hero, Gabriel with the looks of the devil and the nam ...more
Christine
Feb 13, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. The writing itself was decent, but the plot was so ridiculous. I could have gotten past that if I had actually liked the heroine, but I wanted to shake her most of the time. She was a little too naive most of the time, completely glossing over things that were super obvious and that she really should have gotten. *shrugs* I'm still reading the next book (Lord Carew's Bride (Signet Regency Romance) (Dark Angel, #2)) because I liked Samantha and since I got an ebook with both books from ...more
Pepca
Nov 16, 2010 Pepca rated it liked it
Dark Angel is a fairly short typical chick lit book. It is a light reading, but well written for this genre. Of course, a reader gets exactly what one should get from such a book: a predictable plot and, with one exception, plain characters.

The author realistically describes the social norms and standards of acceptable behaviour of the time, as well as she manages to express a distinctive criticism of its hypocrisy, gloating joy, and double standards of morality between the lines.

Read full revie
Linda C
Dec 22, 2013 Linda C rated it really liked it
Jennifer Winward has been betrothed to Lord Lionel Kersey since she was 15. He has been her handsome dream lover and now at 20 it is official. It will be announced at ball in 1 month and married in 2. However, it is hard to get to know him since he is so formal and never makes an effort to spend time with her. Also in London is Gabriel Fisher, Earl of Thornell, recently returned from more than a year abroad, where he is rumored to have taken his pregnant stepmother after their affair. And seemin ...more
Ruth
Jan 07, 2017 Ruth rated it liked it
Okay, I'm going to admit that for the first half of this book I thought the heroine was pretty much a dingbat, but then I realized that she was just incredibly naive and innocent and above all, sweet. She didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but she also had enough of a backbone that she didn't want to do things just because someone told her to do them.

And I also thought that the hero was being a bit of a jerk. And he totally was, but he learned from it and tried to fix things to the best of h
Pam H
Aug 13, 2015 Pam H rated it it was amazing
I love Thornhill. On the outs with the ton for what they believe was selfish, despicable behavior with his stepmother, he returns to London when his nemesis is in town for the Season. Gabriel spots Jennifer Linwood on his first ride in the park and although he finds her attractive, the real attraction begins when he discovers she could be his answer to the destruction of Lionel, Viscount Kersey.
Gabe is dashing and driven in his quest to break the engagement of Miss Linwood and the Viscount but
Goodreads Librari...: Add Characters 2 181 Oct 20, 2015 10:24PM
characters and settings 1 4 Oct 19, 2015 11:07PM
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • A Worthy Wife
  • Master of My Dreams (Heroes of the Sea, #1)
  • The Lady's Companion
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)
  • Tallie's Knight
  • A Regency Christmas
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • Beauty Like the Night (Rutledge Family, #1)
  • Emily and the Dark Angel (Lovers and Ladies, #4)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

Stapleton-Downes (7 books)
  • The Ideal Wife (Stapleton-Downes, #1)
  • A Precious Jewel (Stapleton-Downes, #2)
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • The Plumed Bonnet (Stapleton-Downes, #6)
  • A Christmas Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #7)