Bakuman, Volume 7: Gag and Serious

Bakuman, Volume 7: Gag and Serious (Bakuman #7)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  743 ratings  ·  19 reviews
By the creators of Death Note! The mystery behind manga-making revealed!

Reads R to L (Japanese Style).

Average student Moritaka Mashiro enjoys drawing for fun. When his classmate and aspiring writer Akito Takagi discovers his talent, he begs Moritaka to team up with him as a manga-creating duo. But what exactly does it take to make it in the manga-publishing world?

Published October 4th 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published March 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bakuman, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bakuman, Volume 7

Miss
I think this series is at its best when it focuses on the mechanics of how manga magazines make the decisions they do. I found this volume's look at creator-editor conflict with Muto Ashirogi and Miura to be really engaging because I could see where they were both coming from. Plus the focus on statistics and trying to analyze what makes a manga likely to succeed in the long-term was interesting. Its something I instinctively want to argue against because I feel like the stories that really expl...more
Taruia
Jun 27, 2014 Taruia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you have already started Bakuman, best keep going :)
Shelves: manga
Bakuman certainly has its moments. Our intrepid heroes (yeah, I know, I am going to be milking this one) have been serialised but can they keep it up? And what happens if they don't? I kind like the back story in this volume on how the editorial room at Jump works (supposedly) but I can help but wonder if an Australian writer had an issue with their editor, instead of writing more drafts/names to prove a point, they would just get punched :)
Brian
Volume 7 opens with a major setback and the rest of the volume is tackling how to deal with that. The main conflict is between Muto Ashirogi and their editor, Mr. Muira. What makes it interesting is not so much that either is wrong, but that both have very different personalities and desires in what they want to read in manga. A fight with an editor is entertaining to read because, once more, you can feel for both sides. Then near the end, some potential relationship drama kicks in, something th...more
Peter Wright
Sarah Lu
I really liked the back and forth between Saiko, Shujin and their editor. They all have very strong opinions on what will work. It is also good to see the Ashirogi team being open to trying something new, once the latter half of the book starts up.

Seeing the amount of work that Miura has put into the research for the gag series that he wants Saiko and Shujin to do really makes me appreciate him more, and not see him as just a huge goofball.
Shannon
Very good volume. No stupid romance and lots of manga publishing stuff going on.
Hollowspine
As usual the story and artwork work together like genius. I love the expressions, they are exaggerated, yet realistic and just great, and the body language is spot on.

I like how the story is developing, they have spring forward, then fall back, but they never lose their enthusiasm and are always thinking up new schemes to get what they want.

It's very funny as well.
Kate
Irwan
This episode is great. There is a set back. It shows how the characters grow as people or as craftsmen of their art. Relationship with editors: disagreement and collaboration. Manga business is really serious, even when it is about gag manga!
It is also inspiring to learn how to generate stories from this episode!
Tanabrus
La sospensione della serie in corso, la ricerca di una nuova serie.
E sopratutto, gli scontri con l'editor, ben più inesperto del primo che avevano avuto, fissato in maniera ossessiva con l'avere delle serie sotto il suo controllo e amante della comicità... ma Ashirogi potrà davvero fare qualcosa di comico?
C.D. Reimer
Read this particular volume three times. Loved the artist vs. editor conflict that went on. With everyone out of high school and into college, old friends from middle school are popping up.
Ellana Hoody
Aug 03, 2011 Ellana Hoody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
dans la lignée des 6 autres, l'histoire se tient toujours, le talent de Takeshi Obata n'est plus a prouver, toujours aussi bon dessin, j'ai adoré voir les némus de Ten!!!
Jocelyne
The plot thickens! I'm willing to bet that the artist that Iwase teams up with will be either Mr Nakai, Takahama or Miss Aoki herself.
We'll just have to wait and see!
Lloyd K
Another reasonably good volume. Plenty of shifts in the character dynamics and a good ending. On to volume 8!
Ceejay
see review for vol. 20
M Elsehry
لكل مجتهد نصيب
قصه للكفاح
والتمسك بالاحلام حتى تحقيقها
Child960801
I'm enjoying the continuing arc of this story.
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • One Piece Volume 31 (Hang Hai Wang in Traditional Chinese)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 07 (Yotsuba&! #7)
1978
Tsugumi Ohba (大場 つぐみ Ōba Tsugumi?, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ohba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is speculation th...more
More about Tsugumi Ohba...
Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1) Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2) Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3) Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4) Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)