Start by marking “Dance for the Dead” as Want to Read:
Dance for the Dead

Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,744 ratings  ·  142 reviews
When eight-year-old Timothy Decker finds his parents brutally murdered, it's clear the Deckers weren't the intended victims: Timothy's own room--ransacked, all traces of his existence expertly obliterated *is the shocking evidence. Timothy's nanny, Mona, is certain about only one thing. Timmy needs to disappear, fast.
Only Jane Whitefield, a Native American "guide" who spe
Published April 6th 2011 by Ivy Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dance for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance for the Dead

Helen
I am delighted to have discovered Jane Whitefield, a one-woman witness protection program. She helps people disappear, mainly women and children fleeing abusive men or criminals fleeing other criminals. Naturally, the books are very suspenseful since the bad guys are chasing Jane a lot of the time (sometimes she's tracking them). This is the second book in the so-far seven-book series, and I thought it was great---definitely better than the first. The ending was especially satisfying.

Even thoug
Eric_W
This is the second in the Jane Whitfield series. Following a successful child protection, Jane is enlisted by someone she met briefly in jail who is being pursued by several men. It turns out that “Mary Perkins” was involved in several schemes to make money off the deregulation of the S&L’s (I happen to like the details of historical financial corruption, but it may bore the crap out of most people.)

Mary is reluctant to follow Jane’s directions. Hiding involves changing one’s personality as
jo
Jun 08, 2008 jo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who believe in beating the system
Recommended to jo by: Mike
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i would like to thank mike for leading me to this series, which i like to distraction. i'd give this book five stars if i hadn't given five stars to Portrait of a Lady and such other masterpieces. if goodreads allowed six stars, this novel would get five stars, for sure.

there is a brief and, as such things go, mild torture scene towards the end that blew me away. perry describes the tortured person's psychological evolution and eventual descent into psychosis in such a sensitive, intelligent, a
Lee
I read Vanishing Act a few years back, and really enjoyed the first in this series. Jane Whitefield is a unique character, in that if you need to not be found, she will make you disappear. In her second adventure, the suspense & chase scenes are in full throttle. With her "extra" ID's, and some very clever ingenuity for setting a trap or to not get trapped. Jane might change more planes in one day, than a commercial pilot in a month. I really like her.
Randee Baty
My library is doing a discussion series on "Native American Mysteries" so that's how I was introduced to this book and this author. Thank you, Parsons Public Library! It was a very interesting read that will have me looking for the rest of the series.

Jane Whitefield, a member of the Seneca tribe, helps people disappear. Or in the case of the boy she was helping, she needed to make someone reappear at just the right time. Unfortunately, while getting him into the courtroom to prove he wasn't dead
Jerry
When we read our first Thomas Perry, and first Jane Whitefield novel “Vanishing Act”, we were impressed by both the author’s story telling craft as well as the unique character and “occupation” of the leading lady. So we had high expectations for “Dance”, the second book in the Whitefield series.

As before, most of the tale involves Jane’s work as a private, one-Seneca-woman witness protection agency. When a young lad she’s been protecting is delivered to a courthouse to testify, and two people a
Tony
Perry, Thomas. DANCE FOR THE DEAD. (1996). **. The title obviously refers to what needs to happen for those readers who finally made it through the book. To call the book trivial would be to give it more credit than it deserves. This is apparently the second novel in a series featuring Jane Whitefield, a native American heroine, whose role in life is saving people threatened by bad guys (or gals) by hiding them out somewhere. She has no visible means of support, but, then, with her amazing power ...more
Ellen
Jane Whitefield is better than a super hero. She rescues the victims from the bad guys by using her brains, body, and her senses. Well, maybe she has a bit of a sixth sense thing going--she's half Seneca and has prophetic dreams--but she also works, works, works at her job as a guide. Only her job doesn't involve hunting, but helping the hunted.
In Dance for the Dead she is trying to protect two people, an embezzler who's stalked by an opportunistic head of a security firm and a little boy whose
Joyce
It's always a little shock to read a pre-9/11 book with lots of procedural details, and discover how easily people used to be able to take airplane rides without identification. Also people used pay phones and read newspapers -- even the morning and evening editions of newspapers! -- in 1996. And banks made bad loans on overvalued real estate, in transactions that might be fraud or might just be stupidity... oh, hmmmm, maybe that one does still happen. In any case, I hope Thomas Perry can find a ...more
Julie Kellner
I've forgotten how much I enjoy reading the Jane Whitefield. Thoroughly recommended
Jim
Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield # 2 "Dance For The Dead" is another excellent yarn as expected from Perry. This time out, Jane has to guide Mary Perkins off the grid, and out of the hands of some really bad guys. Once again Perry's knack for sharp and witty dialog is one of the strongest points of this novel. The characters he has created are almost life like, and have some colorful names such as, Mr. Barraclough, Cyrus Curbstone, Mona Turley, and Timmy Phillips. Yes,in "Dance For The Dead" Jane ...more
Megargee
Perry cuts to the chase in the first chapter and doesn't let up until the end. Except in this book, it is the bad guys, superevil almost all-powerful corporate superthieves, chasing Seneca "guide" Jane Whitefield and her clients, people, many of whom are flawed. who need to disappear lest they be killed. By the end of the tale the hunters and the hunted have built up an impressive body count.
Although this is the second in the Whitefield series, it is not necessary have read the first entry, Va
Tracye Quinlan
Didn't finish it... I wanted to give the author another chance. I get the impression he would rather be writing Native American history books. He did a better job of mixing the genres in this book, than in the first. At leas in this one the main character was DREAMING the historical stuff, not looking over a ridge and seeing it... Jarring until you finally realize that she was imagining it not REALLY seeing it. Distracting. Now though, she has such vivid and coherent dreams that they are their o ...more
Cateline
Dance for the Dead, A Jane Whitefield Novel by Thomas Perry

Fast-paced action, beginning to end, with practically unpredictable turns and twists seem to be Thomas Perry's trademark. This is the second in the Jane Whitefield series, an Indian Guide that helps people disappear.

An 8 year old boy being hunted for his inherited fortune, a con woman on the run, seemingly unconnected but intertwine into an exciting and tension filled chase. Lives are at stake, including Jane's. Her hunt for the perpetr
Wesley
This one gets into Jane's background, and Seneca history more. Now I'm hooked, and will go on to the next one.
Elizabeth
This one got a little old and formulaic.
Emily
I think this author is great, although this isn't his best book. He's a solid, evocative writer who has good pacing and descriptions; I also enjoy that these were written long enough ago that, say, you could show up at an airport with a fake ID and buy a ticket with cash. They're not meant to be historical but they've become so, somewhere between thrillers intentionally set in the early 20th century and contemporary ones. The plot here wasn't perfect--it's sort of like he hung a really heavy doo ...more
Adrienne Campbell
The second book in the Jane Whitefield Series by Thomas Perry does not disappoint. Sometimes I find it hard to believe this series is written by a man. He seems to have a very good understanding of how a woman or women like Jane would not only think but feel. One minute she's just your average ordinary woman, the next a brilliant guide whose attention to detail astounds, then in a flash, she becomes a warrior who will not run or hide but will fight to the death to protect her charge/s whomever t ...more
Frank
[library audiobook, plot summary elsewhere]

I liked the Jane Whitefield character, the emphasis on Native American culture in the eastern US, the setting in neglected upstate New York, the tradecraft of hiding identity and the tradecraft of tracking people who want to hide, and the danger of the power of private security companies lead by corrupt cops.

I'll look for others in this series, hopefully I can find the first to get an idea of Jane's backstory.
This is the second book in the Jane Whitefield series. I enjoyed both of these books for the characterization, action and plot. Jane is a strong, independent, and great at her job - she makes people disappear. Thomas Perry is a very detailed writer and described each scene precisely. There were moments when I thought "how is she going to get herself out of this mess." And then she did!

Joyce Bean narrates this book and her voice is not annoying, for me.
Bonnie Beechler
I enjoy reading about a woman who is just as savvy and strong as any of my other detective hero's. Jane Whitefield is a native American and the series is full of interesting facts about Indian history as Jane goes about her business of being a one woman witness protection service. In this book she helps a child who is an innocent victim of a greedy investment corporation who is more interested in stealing his inheritance than investing it.
Wicca
These Jane Whitefield books have wonderful plots and an most interesting female protagonist.
Jane is a Seneca Indian and helps people in need disappear until they are safe.
I like the history, the weaving of the Seneca beliefs, the current time stories and the characters.
Don't want to talk plots, but will say the books are mysteries and not all the people Jane helps are people who are "good" - they are more complex.
Rob
Barraclough was a former cop turned hunter, but unlike a bounty hunter, his human quarry ends up dead. Working for a big private investigation agency, he was able to masked his illegal activities. After working with an embezzler to illegally acquire the inheritance of a small boy, he tried to have him kidnapped and killed, but only succeeded in having the people protecting the boy killed. Only Jane Whitefield survived the attack outside an LA courtroom. A sympathetic judge released Jane and secu ...more
Kelly
I am about 1/3 of the way in...and already want to navigate to my reading chair instead of my office...Wow. I have stated this before about Thomas Perry; but WOW, can he write. I am new to him and have started reading him due to recommends on Goodreads.com. I am 100% fan of his, and his series of Jane Whitefield. I am laughing one minute, shocked the next, and in fear the next. Each new adventure leads on a roller coaster ride of emotions.

I have to say I have a soft spot for the Native Americans
Jackie Newman
This book seemed more intense than the first Jane Whitefield novel. I'm not sure if it was because the plot involved a child or because there seemed to be more violence than in the first book. I think I'll take a break from Jane for a while and read a few lighter stories. Because of her work, Jane can't have a personal life and so far that does not appear likely to change. It leaves a major dimension out of her character.
Zoomball
This is the 3rd of this series that I have read, obviously not in order. As I listened to this one I thought that it was OK to pass the time, but nothing that I would recommend to anyone. Lots of promise in the idea, and sometimes all the details behind the subterfuge are interesting, but most of the time it just falls short.
LJ
DANCE FOR THE DEAD (Suspense-U.S.-Cont) - VG
Thomas Perry (2nd in series)
Ivy Books, 1996-Paperback
Jane Whitefield, an expert at helping people disappear, is actually helping a small boy reappear in time to save him from being declared legally dead and his inheritance being taken over by the trustees. However, it seems someone would rather he disappear forever. A woman asks Jane to help her disappear from those pursuing her. Although the cases are unrelated, the bad guys are the same.
*** I love bo
Rosemary Dreyer
4+ Stars: I love the premise, the lead character, the gripping stories, and the page-turning aspects of these mysteries/thrillers. I'm so delighted to have stumbled upon this series. I thoroughly enjoy the Native Indian history and references, as well as how dreams aid the heroine. Great books and quick reading!
Smoochys
Jane has skills

This was not as good as the first book, but it was still a good story. Jane was shown in many different ways - the Hunter, the lover, the savior, and the avenger. All of the ways fit her very well, and I am looking forward to reading the next book.
Elizabeth
I am on the fence about this book/series. The concept is interesting. The plots are interesting. But the dialogue can be intensely painful. And the choices Jane makes in her personal life absolutely baffle me. I probably give this series one more chance though.
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
  • Little Saigon
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Secretive (On The Run #2)
  • Over My Live Body
  • Why Me? (Dortmunder, #5)
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Nest of Vipers
  • Gone 'til November
  • The Trail to Buddha's Mirror (Neal Carey, #2)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife ...more
More about Thomas Perry...

Jane Whitefield (8 books)
  • Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)
  • Blood Money (Jane Whitefield, #5)
  • Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • A String of Beads
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1) The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3) The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4) Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)

“The women sang the Ohgiwe and danced together as the grandmothers had, for the brave, and the unselfish, for the protectors.” 1 likes