Start by marking “Believing in Jesus: A Popular Overview of the Catholic Faith (Fifth Revised Edition)” as Want to Read:

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"In order to understand why the 'outside' of the Church—the visible, organized part—is important we have to ask the question: What is the Church for? The Church's purpose is to do in flesh and blood what Jesus did and does."—from Chapter 14

Leonard Foley wrote Believing in Jesus to help "born Catholics" come to a deeper understanding of the beliefs and practices they have
Published June 14th 2005 by St. Anthony Messenger Press

To ask other readers questions about Believing in Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believing in Jesus

Jen Westpfahl
I didn't actually get all the way through this book. Some of it was interesting; some was dry; some was complicated. And as someone fairly well-versed in Catholic teaching, I didn't learn as much as I had hoped.
Denise
Apr 29, 2012 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn more about what Catholicism is really about
Recommended to Denise by: RCIA class
"The Tenth Commandment probes our mind and heart, where all sin begins, and forbids injustice in willful desire and intention. It forbids coveting what belongs to another, and rules out greed and avarice arising from an excessive desire for wealth and power (see Catechism, #2536)." Page 269

"We are to regard our lawful possessions not merely as our own, but also as common property in the sense that they can be of benefit also to others. All the children of God are obliged to come to the relief of
Amy
When I first picked up this book, I kind of had the impression I'd be reading a dry textbook, something akin to trying to read the Catechism cover to cover. I was pleasantly surprised to find that that wasn't the case.

Believing in Jesus offers insight and explanations for many things that Catholics do and believe. As a "cradle Catholics", many of us have grown up knowing that the church teaches this or that, but not necessarily understanding why. This book answers many of those questions.

I parti
William
An excellent little primer about the Catholic Faith, which is wholly Jesus centered. Highly recommended for anyone who would like a refresher course in Catholicism, is in/or considering RCIA, or just curious about the basic tenets of the oldest and largest Christian faith. It dispels a lot of myths and falsehoods for those not familiar with Catholicism, and does a pretty good job at explaining tough subjects, like: The Triinity, Hypostatic Union, etc....
A strong message of concious personal resp
Jools Xavier
I finding this book is making me believe more and more that the Holy Bible is a manual for us all to read, study and put the lessons into our daily lives. I intend to buy this book. It helped me realize where my life direction is going and what I want to do for the rest of my life...
M.
Jun 23, 2012 M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: religion
A book that simply looks at the Catholic faith and explains the basic hows and whys behind it all. Written in a style easy to read yet presented with enough depth to make you realize what a wonderful gift our faith is.
John
Apr 24, 2008 John added it
Shelves: nonfiction, theology
nonfiction,theology
Maria Rowe
Maria Rowe marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Katie Mozingo
Katie Mozingo is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2015
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Tianna Groves
Tianna Groves marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Orchid
Orchid added it
Nov 25, 2013
Rick
Rick added it
Oct 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
To Live as Francis Lived: A Guide For Secular Franciscans Saint of the Day: Lives, Lessons and Feasts Saint of the Day: Updated & Expanded Saint of the Day: Lives, Lessons, and Feasts Saint of the Day