Start by marking “From Dark Places” as Want to Read:
From Dark Places

Read eBook

From Dark Places

The debut anthology from Emma Newman is a dark and twisting journey across the urban landscape, mining the rich seam of human frailties with insight and humour. The stories traverse the magical and the mundane, where supernatural beings are indistinguishable from their mortal counterparts in their complexity and complicity.
Paperback, Second edition , 184 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Emergent Publishing (first published January 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about From Dark Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Dark Places

Victoria Hooper
Aug 02, 2012 Victoria Hooper rated it really liked it
From Dark Places is a short story collection by Emma Newman. The stories are mostly very short (three or four pages, usually), and deal with the darker, bizarre side of human nature. These are all character-focussed, subtle, yet deeply moving stories, and often quite funny too, exploring where the magical meets the ordinary, and where supernatural horror connects with the horror of the human mind.

The stories are beautifully written. Emma Newman seems to have a touch for capturing all the little
Diana Alsobrook
Jun 13, 2011 Diana Alsobrook rated it really liked it
It would be easy to say that Newman's short stories deal with horror elements such as insanity, zombies, and monsters - but that would be the easy way out, and her book will really appeal to a wider range of readers than merely horror fans. If you look past the dark atmosphere that she developed over the larger part of the book, you will find that there's something in there for everyone: this anthology is not so much about monsters, but about relatable topics such as divorce, heartache, loneline ...more
Alan Baxter
Apr 18, 2011 Alan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy, horror
From Dark Places is a collection of short fiction from E J Newman. The title is well placed, as the stories are all dark in a variety of ways. They explore subjects from the existential to the personal, from infidelity to murder, from the supernatural to the super normal and they’re all bloody good.

A lot of these stories are really short, flash fiction pieces capturing a vibe or an event and searing a single scene onto the reader’s brain with uncomfortable clarity. Some of the tales are longer,
Andy Gibb
Jun 28, 2012 Andy Gibb rated it it was amazing
Love it! The most wonderful thing about this collection of short shorts is that you can't outguess the stories. You may think you know where they're going by convention but it ain't necessarily so. For instance, The Art of Desire twists and turns so that the ending is always in doubt – masterful. Somerset-based Emma (the E in E.J.) also subverts the odd fairy tale: The Tenth Lord is one such.

My favourite, The Need to Create, has such a fertile premise that it could have gone in a million direct

Phil
Oct 26, 2014 Phil rated it it was amazing
This is a short collection of stories that touch upon the macabre. I thoroughly enjoyed them. They benefit from being well crafedt to the degree that Emma gets a great deal out of a few hundred words. Most enjoyable to sit down with a cup of tea and jeopardy.
Mari Juniper
My first impression at opening the pdf file from which I read From Dark Places, by Emma Newman, was relief, followed by delight.

The old cliché says you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it's nice to have a cover to try and not judge the book from it! Several ebooks I've read in pdf format were missing their covers and I found it very frustrating. Emma's book is complete in many senses, including the back cover, so I started the reading it with an extra dose of good mood. (I also liked the
James Everington
Jul 23, 2012 James Everington rated it really liked it
This book of twenty-plus short stories was the first I've read of Emma Newman's, and it was certainly impressive.

Most of these stories are very short; I don't think one exceeds around 3k words in length. My only criticism of the book as a whole would be that a couple of longer, 6k plus tales might have made it more varied in terms of pace. As it is, this is a book to dip into and read the stories one or two at a time, rather than try and gulp them all down. And as such it's an excellent debut.
Alan Baxter
May 22, 2011 Alan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy, horror

Stacia
May 10, 2011 Stacia rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful and refreshing book of short, modern horror stories. There are 25 short stories in all and no losers in this collection, each individual story stands out on its own. Some are touching, some are humorous, others satisfyingly macabre but every story has a sharp unexpected twist at the end. The authors imagination seems limitless here and she approaches classic horror themes such as zombies and bargaining with the devil in a new and unexpected way. If you are a fan of the Pan Ho ...more
The Sunday Book Review
When the author and I connected on twitter, she told me she had written some great horror short stories. After reading the first one, I knew she wouldn't dissapoint. There is no in your face horror, this book revolves more around our own dark fears. All the ones we had as children and continue to have as adults. The feeling you get when you move into a new house and are still trying to figure out all the noises...these stories feed off that fear and uncertainty.

Know when your parents tell you no
Kirsten
May 11, 2011 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I already loved the flash fiction E.J. Newman posted on her blog, but From Dark Places is what really made me a fan. In the past I was always the "Confessions of a Shopaholic"-type of reader, but Newman's work has really made me branch out into new genres. Each story has a twist that you'll never see coming. I find myself incredibly jealous that Newman has all these characters inside her head that prompt her to tell such wonderful stories. I can't wait to see what else she comes out with--will b ...more
Fran Jacobs
Nov 07, 2013 Fran Jacobs rated it liked it
Emma NEwman is a very talented writer, her Split Worlds series is my favourite read of the year, and her talent can be seen in her short story collection. Humour, vivid description, dark twists, all put together brilliantly. A few of the stories aren't as good as the others, though, but that's to be expected as there are a lot of them. The ones I enjoyed certainly stand out, and are lingering with me now in the bright light of day, particularly, 'in the bag.'
Jane
Feb 24, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
A lot of short stories in this collection. All beautifully told snapshots.

The collection is called From Dark Places and some of the pieces are very dark indeed, some are funny and some are poignant. Great for a coffee break and you want something you can dip into and I can guarantee you will be thinking about these stories for a lot longer than you spend reading them.

I will definitely go back and read them again.
Sarah Carter
Mar 22, 2016 Sarah Carter rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
This is a series of very short stories, some of them vignettes and I found it a pretty hit and miss bundle sadly.
It's a format I'm not overly fond of, done well you get Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected or a really good 2000AD Future Shock, done poorly and well it's a lot less fun.

A couple of Newman's stories here are excellent and do hit those heights, but, not really enough for me to love this.
Heather McCorkle
Apr 07, 2011 Heather McCorkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for fans of horror and anthologies. E.J. has a unique way of raising the hairs on the back of your neck and leaving you wondering about what lurks in the dark. She reminded me of why I love scary stories!
Bobbie Allensworth
May 21, 2011 Bobbie Allensworth rated it liked it
Pleasant short storied book,reminiscent of the Twilight Zone series. I tutor three twelve years olds and each enjoyed picking one story to practicing their reading. These tales were intriguing enough to keep their interest. Definitely will use other books by this author(E.J. Newman)
Laura Lam
Jul 09, 2012 Laura Lam rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2012
A wonderful collection of dark, twisted, and fanciful stories. As with any short story collection, not all were quite to my taste, but overall I really enjoyed them. Many of them toyed with ideas I've thought about many times, and many had little Dahl-like twists at the end. Very much recommended.
Phil
Jun 12, 2012 Phil rated it it was amazing
Quirky, funny, brooding and dark, this delightful collection of stories has all this and more. I like collections like this, short sharp stories that you can rattle through in a few days, but that leave an impression on your mind. Look forward to reading more.
Simon
Apr 14, 2016 Simon rated it really liked it
Some really remarkable short stories within this book. While they were not all to my taste they were well written and developed.
Annabel
Apr 14, 2011 Annabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can find my review of this book on my blog:

Cindy Smith
Apr 18, 2015 Cindy Smith rated it really liked it
great collection of twisty short stories
Rich
Jun 12, 2012 Rich rated it it was amazing
This is a great book if you love short scary stories, there were a few that genuinely creeped me out. Excellent stuff! :D
Daniel Stephens
Jan 31, 2016 Daniel Stephens rated it it was amazing
Fantastically dark and funny short stories. Highly recommended.
Amy's Inkwell
Sep 01, 2013 Amy's Inkwell rated it it was amazing
Deliciously sinister and elegantly creepy. These perfectly crafted short stories will keep you up at night and make you wonder what's lurking in the dark.
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Nick Brown
Nick Brown rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Marcela Nascimento
Marcela Nascimento rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Jeri Spargo
Jeri Spargo rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane
  • Theatre of Curious Acts
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • What Makes You Die
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2013 Edition
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • Shotgun Gravy (Atlanta Burns #1.1)
  • More Scary Kisses
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • The Necromancer's Apprentice (The Necromancer's Apprentice #1)
  • 99 Reasons Why
  • Jumble Tales
  • Life's Lottery
  • Doctor Who: Short Trips and Side Steps
  • Day Boy
  • The Reckoning
  • Cherry Crow Children (Twelve Planets, #12)
  • Caution: contains small parts (Twelve Planets book 9)
Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no
More about Emma Newman...