Start by marking “Fosterling” as Want to Read:
Fosterling

Fosterling

2.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A young man is found unconscious in a remote forest. He is over seven-feet tall, his skin covered in thick hair, which reminds onlookers of an animal's pelt. When he wakes in a city hospital, he is eerily uncommunicative. Speculation begins.

Doctors want to run tests on him, the media want to get his story, and the public want to gawp and prod. When a young woman befriends
303 pages
Published 2011 by Random House New Zealand

To ask other readers questions about Fosterling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fosterling

Maria
Apr 10, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
From the first pages I was hooked into the story of Bu, the over-sized fur covered young man found in the bush.
The characters are well developed and recognizable in this well written novel. You get the feeling that the author really knows human nature at its best and worst. There's Bu's innocence, the doctor's (and other's) inability to accept that what Bu thinks could be true, Sandrine's sometimes misguided compassion, the publics' comments and reactions...

And the ending - not what I wanted but
Philippa
Aug 05, 2014 Philippa rated it liked it
Fantastic idea for a novel: yeti-like man found injured in South Westland and brought into hospital; appears to understand things but doesn't speak until a young woman comes in and befriends him.
There's so much you could do with this, and Emma Neale has explored various tracks: medical interest, media interest, fear and violence from people encountering Bu. As the story progresses, Bu's memories of his growing up come out, which fill in some gaps in the mystery. This part – his childhood, parent
Andrea Myers
Nov 16, 2014 Andrea Myers rated it liked it
Now that I've read the whole book I think the early chapters in the Hospital were my favorite, and were ultimately what made me finish the novel. It was all very well written, Kiwi colloquialisms were used well without being cheesy, there were none of the 'quintessential kiwi bloke' stereotypes that drive me crazy in New Zealand storytelling and there were some real gems of characters, like the hospital nurse/orderly Latu.

Unfortunately the story didn't seem to go anywhere. There wasn't an overri
Angela Oliver
Sep 29, 2011 Angela Oliver rated it liked it
An interesting concept, and rather lyrically written, but ultimately, this novel felt a little flat. It did not explore any particular idea in detail, sneaking out of situations that could be classified as inappropriate and concluding in a manner that was not entirely satisfying. Ultimately, it was an intriguing idea with a poorly conceived plot. Still, yetis in Westland, what can I say?
Megan
Apr 13, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
I kept hoping that this would get better, but perhaps I need to leave it and come back to it another time.
I really found that, at best, it was a young adult novel - mostly because of the storyline and the focus on young people.
Another day I might give it another go. In the meantime, I visited a second hand bookshop last weekend, so I have lots of reading to do!
Alison
Apr 12, 2011 Alison rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
This felt like a young adult novel to me. I enjoyed it for that novelty as well as for the quality of writing and story. I would recommend to a teenager but probably not to my friends.
Lyn
Aug 05, 2011 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing idea for a novel but the writing was often clumsy and gauche.
Nicole
Nicole added it
Nov 19, 2015
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Anjali
Anjali marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Sammy
Sammy rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Kathleen Dixon
Kathleen Dixon marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
P Era
P Era rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Kittykorn
Kittykorn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Susan Wardell
Susan Wardell rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Man
Man rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Ivana Garcia
Ivana Garcia rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2014
Dragana
Dragana rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Canoa Peron
Canoa Peron marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2013
Dayna O'kelly
Dayna O'kelly marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Mairead
Mairead marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Ciska
Ciska marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Marg
Marg rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013