Start by marking “Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)

Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels #3.5)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  7,298 ratings  ·  299 reviews
Andrea Nash of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid - with an assist from her friend, Kate Daniels - tries to figure out why the giant three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades is sniffing around Atlanta.

* Originally published in the anthology, Must Love Hellhounds.
Published May 17th 2011 by Berkley Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Mourns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Mourns

Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMagic Burns by Ilona AndrewsMagic Strikes by Ilona AndrewsMagic Bleeds by Ilona AndrewsMagic Mourns by Ilona Andrews
Powerful Romance/PNR Heroines
5th out of 80 books — 9 voters
Perfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesThe DUFF by Kody KeplingerRules of Attraction by Simone ElkelesShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadChain Reaction by Simone Elkeles
Young Adult Fiction With Sex
159th out of 642 books — 1,609 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Andrea+Raphael Stars

“Would you say the shapeshifter was in distress?”
“Hell yeah, he was in distress. His tail was on fire.”
“He ran like his tail was on fire?”
“No, his tail was on fire. Like a big, furry candle on his ass.”

In this novella the main protagonist isn't our beloved Kate Daniels since she is home recuperating after being impaled by sword in the Midnigh Games, but her best friend, Knight of the Order of Merciful Aid and beastkin werehyena, Andrea Nash. Andrea is less impulsive and
Evgeny
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels still recuperates from injuries she sustained during the last book and so nothing really exciting happens to her (almost nothing, but I am not going to spoil it). Enter Andrea Nash - her friend and a colleague from the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Where Kate is good with her sword Andrea is an expert at anything that shoots, including some really heavy weaponry. The story is told from her POV.

So Andrea was sitting in her office minding
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Boudalishious Stars Re-read before the release of Magic Breaks

Magic Mourns is set in the middle of the six week waiting period after the final showdown of Magic Strikes and Kate is off recuperating. Andrea is trying to fill in for her, but Kate’s shoes are hard to fill. Raphael needs a little help with a certain situation involving a dead body, a three headed dog and the gates of the underworld.

photo Cerberus_zps8b664e89.jpg

I stared at the phone.
“Forgot the number?” Raphael asked.
“No. Thinking of how to phrase this. If
Armina

3.5 STARS

Giving half a star up because of the very important info at the end and the cute attempts of the audio narrator to make Raphael's voice husky and seductive in the intimate scenes! So funny! More detailed review to come tomorrow.
Ana
“Who is there with you?"
"Raphael"
Kate's voice snapped. "I'll be in Atlanta in three hours. Where are you?"
"I said it's nothing major."

Magic Mourns is a short novella about Andrea and Raphael. I think now is the time to admit that I actually prefer Andrea and Raphael's relationship to Kate and Curran's. I don't why. Actually, I do know why One word.Raphael What can I say? I'm not r
Erica Ravenclaw

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

There are a lot of thing about Andrea that I dislike, a lot of things. However, at the same time I super love her, like, a lot. Even more so, I enjoy her falling for that delicious trouble maker.

There are so many aspects of the Kate Daniels world to love, every detail fully realized and working in harmony with the intricate universe created by Andrews. One that always floats around in the favorites is the interesting dynamics of the shape shifters
AJ
This novella is a spin off to the Kate Daniels series, and takes place after the events of book 3 - Magic Strikes.

It features Kate’s best friend, Andrea, who is called to investigate the appearance of house-sized, three-headed hell-dog Cerberus, who is running loose just outside the city of Atlanta. But more importantly (for romance fans like me), this book features Andrea’s hook up with hot hyena shifter, Raphael. He’s been chasing her for 6 months, and this is finally it!

Andrea’s mission puts
Angela
Well, damn.

How many of these did I skip reviewing last time?

Okay, here goes. This is just a novella - about Andrea and Raphael. And after the intense flirting (and thing) that happened in Magic Strikes between them, it's about damn time!

I always liked Andrea. She's strong, competent, level-headed, and willing to fight for what she believes. She sticks to her promises, and her ground - no matter what. And I can trust her. I know for a fact she will never, ever betray Kate. What I learned in this
K. May
I finally read Magic Mourns - YAY!

I was up till 3am finishing it because it was just that damn good, and now I feel really really guilty about having not bought it when it first came out in October ‘09. If I was thinking - which I wasn’t - I could have just bought it from, and read it, while I was in the States that year. The reason why I was reluctant to buy the Must Love Hellhounds, which features work from a whole array of authors, is because I am not a big fan of anthologies in general. Usu
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I’m getting very impatient as the release of Magic Breaks approaches (only a few days left, tick tock tick tock!) and I’m trying to get my hands on anything Kate Daniels related. I wasn’t too sure about a novella centered on Andrea’s character but Magic Mourns is fantastic and gives great insight into the whole series!

Reading this made me realize how little we get to know Andrea as a character in the main series. We know she is beatskin and that she suffered quite a lot as a child but little mo
Carina
I started reading Magic Mourns not because of my particular like for Andrea as a character, but because I wanted to know more about her and understand the reasons behind her actions – especially after having read Magic Bleeds. If there is one thing I love about Ilona Andrews’s style of writing, it’s that they don’t create shallow characters that act as mere extras to the story. So I knew that even if Andrea acted in ways I couldn't really understand or sympathise with, I still knew she had a dam ...more
Magic Mourns is available to purchase as an ebook novella but was also included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. The story is set after Magic Strikes while Kate is still recovering from her injuries and taking a break from her duties for the Order of Knights so her friend Andrea is standing in for her. When Andrea gets a call from a member of the public concerned that a shapeshifter is in danger she gets more than she bargains for when she goes to investigate. Not only does she come face t ...more
Gavin
3.5 stars.

I liked this short story featuring Andrea and Raphael from the Kate Daniels series.

The story was interesting enough with Andrea investigating a call about a shape shifter being attacked by a giant dog. The dog turned out to be a Hell Hound and and the shape shifter to be Raphael. Throw in a master of the dead gone bad and some Greek Gods and there was plenty to keep this interesting.

I really enjoyed the continuation of the romance between Andrea and Raphael which had begun in the ma
Nadia
The last 10% were this book's saving grace and that was only because they were not told from Andrea point of view.
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 Stars

Exciting enough. Andrea had some big shoes to fill, but the story had a little of everything and didn't fail to entertain.

Now, what really intrigues me is this:
(view spoiler)
Kelly
I missed this novella back in my original read of the series (waaaaay back in the day. You know, when we used smoke signals instead of social media to connect to one another.) (KIDDING. It was only 2012. I was totally using social media back then.) (I kinda forgot where I was going with the start of this sentence now that I've veered onto the lame age jokes track.) ...

Yeah, I'm going to try this again.

Andrea! And Raphael! AND A HELLHOUND! I like Hellhounds. They can be equal parts terrifying and
Keertana
For the first time, I think it really hit me how much research this duo does. Seriously, how much do they prep before they write a novel or just a novella? It's amazing! For all I know, it could be unauthentic research, but with this novella, I know it's all true - after all, I recognize Greek Mythology even if I don't recognize the other types of mythology used in the other novels.

It is a testament to the writing skill of Ilona Andrews that they were able to pack such a huge amount of depth an
SheLove2Read
A short novella giving Andrea's background and future. Good read. 4.5 stars
Zeek
A novella set in Kate Daniels world, this short story focuses on Kate’s bff Andrea, (who gets a book later), and her wannabe mate Rapheal. Both are heyena wereshifters, but Andrea is slightly different. (You’ll have to read the books to find out.)

In Magic Mourns, Andrea gets a call letting her know about a shifter on the run being chased by a dog as big as ahouse. Turns out the chaser is “Fluffy” Hagrid’s three headed dog from Harry Potter- okay okay, it’s Cerberus, Hades hellhound from Greek my
Shandra
Another fun, action packed installment in this amazing world!!!! I loved having Andrea as the MC and getting to know her history!! The interaction between Andrea and Raphael was great!! This aided in giving me a better understanding to other things that have happened. I can't wait to devour mooooore of this series!!!!
Iliada

Did I like this book? Yes.
Did I like Andrea and Raphael? Yes.
Did I like them more than Kate and Curran? No.
Would I read other books about this couple? Yes.
Did Andrea sound like Kate's clone? No. Thank God.
VampireNovelFan
No better way to make this short story more special than to receive it from the authors themselves!! I'll certainly cherish the copy!

But that aside, I will review as objectively as possible. Magic Mourns is a short story included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology that shifts the focus from Kate Daniels to her best friend, Andrea Nash. She's been handling Kate's affairs at her office until she gets a call to investigate a weird three-headed dog that seems to be running free. It turns out it'
Heidi
Originally reviewed here.

When I picked up Magic Mourns, I was expecting Kate. What I got was Andrea. The shift in narrators was a surprise for me, but not an unwelcome one. I love me some Kate, but I’ve really enjoyed Andrea’s character in the past two books, and knowing that Gunmetal Magic is coming out this summer with her PoV, I was pumped for the preview. And friends, Magic Mourns did not disappoint!

Often, when you pick up new narration by the same author, it’s incredibly similar. However,
Elaine
A great side story to this series! Way too short in my opinion but very sweet. I just wish there was more Kate in it.
Deniz
I think I might have to re-read Gunmetall Magic....
With this novella, the Kate Daniels series shifts to Kate's best friend and fellow Order member, Andrea. I loved getting to know more about Andrea and seeing her interactions with sexy bouda (werehyena) Raphael.
Raquel
3.5

This was a short story and centers around Andrea as she helps Raphael deal with a giant three headed dog. We learn more about Andrea's past/childhood, and also get to see more of their courtship.

It was a good and entertaining backstory but I just couldn't wait to get back to Kate's pov.
Heather C
I was originally going to give this one 3 stars since it took me 3 days to finish it, but I really liked the ending so decided to give it 4 instead.

This is a cute, action packed novella about Andrea and Raphael with just a smidge of Kate.
Flavia (OddCloud)
I liked this, especially since it comes with some very nice extra-info ;) It is nice to be in Andrea's head for a change; nowhere near as amusing as Kate, but it was okay. The recap of the basic world rules/situation is getting boring on these beside-the-series-stories, but I can deal with them as long as the stories are nice :)

(view spoiler)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Web of Death (Elemental Assassin #1.5)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #9)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Would you say the shapeshifter was in distress?”
“Hell yeah, he was in distress. His tail was on fire.”
“He ran like his tail was on fire?”
“No, his tail was on fire. Like a big, furry candle on his ass.”
23 likes
“Who is there with you?"

"Raphael"

Kate's voice snapped. "I'll be in Atlanta in three hours. Where are you?"

"I said it's nothing major."

"Bullshit. You wouldn't work with Raphael unless the Apocalypse was imminent and that was the only way to prevent it.”
23 likes