Start by marking “Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)

Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels #3.5)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  10,537 Ratings  ·  438 Reviews
Andrea Nash of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid - with an assist from her friend, Kate Daniels - tries to figure out why the giant three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades is sniffing around Atlanta.

* Originally published in the anthology, Must Love Hellhounds.
Published May 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Mourns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Mourns

Evgeny
Sep 01, 2014 Evgeny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels still recuperates from injuries she sustained during the last book and so nothing really exciting happens to her (almost nothing, but I am not going to spoil it). Enter Andrea Nash - her friend and a colleague from the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Where Kate is good with her sword Andrea is an expert at anything that shoots, including some really heavy weaponry. The story is told from her POV.

So Andrea was sitting in her office minding
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Andrea+Raphael Stars

“No, his tail was on fire. Like a big, furry candle on his ass.”

In this novella the main protagonist isn't our beloved Kate Daniels since she is home recuperating after being impaled by sword in the Midnigh Games, but her best friend, Knight of the Order of Merciful Aid and beastkin werehyena, Andrea Nash. Andrea is less impulsive and
Sophia Triad
Oct 27, 2016 Sophia Triad rated it it was amazing
A giant three headed dog as big as a house and burning spit is chasing Raphael. Andrea is running to rescue him. Apparently someone has stolen a precious dead body and Raphael is following the smell. That does not stop him to take the opportunity to pursuit Andrea at the same time.

It is cool to be a hyena!

That is what I really love in these books! Usually hyenas in shifters’ books are either mean, or stupid or the enemy. In Kate Daniel’s world are playful and lovable.
Angela
2016 June Re-read: I love this world. I love the different mythologies that show up and become featured. I love the characters. And I'll be honest, I like the idea of Andrea and Raphael a lot here, initially. They have a bit of a rough patch (to put it mildly) later on, which kind of sours things for me a bit. Hopefully I can get over that a bit on this re-read.

2014 August Review:
Well, damn.

How many of these did I skip reviewing last time?

Okay, here goes. This is just a novella - about Andrea an
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Boudalishious Stars Re-read before the release of Magic Breaks

Magic Mourns is set in the middle of the six week waiting period after the final showdown of Magic Strikes and Kate is off recuperating. Andrea is trying to fill in for her, but Kate’s shoes are hard to fill. Raphael needs a little help with a certain situation involving a dead body, a three headed dog and the gates of the underworld.

photo Cerberus_zps8b664e89.jpg

I stared at the phone.
“Forgot the number?” Raphael asked.
“No. Thinking of how to phrase this. If
1st read - July 2013 - 4 stars
2nd read - June 2015 - 4 stars
3rd read - June 2016- 5 stars

Original Review

Magic Mourns is available to purchase as an ebook novella but was also included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. The story is set after Magic Strikes while Kate is still recovering from her injuries and taking a break from her duties for the Order of Knights so her friend Andrea is standing in for her. When Andrea gets a call from a member of the public concerned that a shapeshifter is i
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I had a feeling I liked Andrea and now it's confirmed. She is hard and soft at the same time. And what's sexier than a drop-dead gorgeous, genuine Casanova changing his lifestyle after meeting The Woman? This book toys with women's desire to be The One to change the notorious playboy.

description

Also, it's fast-paced, full of action and mythology. A winning combination if you ask me.
Joanita
“Could you get any more full of yourself?”
“I’m mostly interested in getting you full of me.”

While Kate is on medical leave, Andrea is taking her cases. And her current one forces her to team up with the very sexy Raphael, who she has been trying to avoid, to solve the mystery of what a giant three-headed dog is doing in Atlanta.

Ever since meeting Raphael, the son of the Alpha Bouda, he has been driving her crazy with his phone calls and his flirting. It takes everything she is not to give in

Armina

3.5 STARS

Giving half a star up because of the very important info at the end and the cute attempts of the audio narrator to make Raphael's voice husky and seductive in the intimate scenes! So funny! More detailed review to come tomorrow.
Anasylvia
“Who is there with you?"
"Raphael"
Kate's voice snapped. "I'll be in Atlanta in three hours. Where are you?"
"I said it's nothing major."

Magic Mourns is a short novella about Andrea and Raphael. I think now is the time to admit that I actually prefer Andrea and Raphael's relationship to Kate and Curran's. I don't why. Actually, I do know why One word.Raphael What can I say? I'm not r
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I’m getting very impatient as the release of Magic Breaks approaches (only a few days left, tick tock tick tock!) and I’m trying to get my hands on anything Kate Daniels related. I wasn’t too sure about a novella centered on Andrea’s character but Magic Mourns is fantastic and gives great insight into the whole series!

Reading this made me realize how little we get to know Andrea as a character in the main series. We know she is beatskin and that she suffered quite a lot as a child but little mo
Erica Ravenclaw
Dec 30, 2014 Erica Ravenclaw rated it really liked it
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

There are a lot of thing about Andrea that I dislike, a lot of things. However, at the same time I super love her, like, a lot. Even more so, I enjoy her falling for that delicious trouble maker.

There are so many aspects of the Kate Daniels world to love, every detail fully realized and working in harmony with the intricate universe created by Andrews. One that always floats around in the favorites is the interesting dynamics of the shape shif
Sam
Dec 16, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it
Ah novellas. I both love and hate you.

I thought a new POV was refreshing. I like Andrea's character. She has a heartbreaking backstory and I love how she feels about guns. Just... I wish she felt less like a mini-Kate. I get she's a Knight so of course she's going to be a badass and to be fair she doesn't know as much about mythology as Kate, but I don't know. Maybe it's hard to go from reading a bunch of Kate Daniels to popping into someone else's head. I feel like from Kate's view, Andrea has
sooooooomiii
Jan 01, 2012 sooooooomiii rated it it was amazing
I finally read Magic Mourns - YAY!

I was up till 3am finishing it because it was just that damn good, and now I feel really really guilty about having not bought it when it first came out in October ‘09. If I was thinking - which I wasn’t - I could have just bought it from, and read it, while I was in the States that year. The reason why I was reluctant to buy the Must Love Hellhounds, which features work from a whole array of authors, is because I am not a big fan of anthologies in general. Usu
AJ
Nov 27, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it
This novella is a spin off to the Kate Daniels series, and takes place after the events of book 3 - Magic Strikes.

It features Kate’s best friend, Andrea, who is called to investigate the appearance of house-sized, three-headed hell-dog Cerberus, who is running loose just outside the city of Atlanta. But more importantly (for romance fans like me), this book features Andrea’s hook up with hot hyena shifter, Raphael. He’s been chasing her for 6 months, and this is finally it!

Andrea’s mission puts
Cathy (cathepsut)
Re-reading the series with the Ilona Andrews Addicts, before 'Magic Binds' comes out in September 2016. Hadn't planned to re-read all the shorts and novellas as well, but changed my mind. Will try to read parallel to the main series...

*~*~*~*

I read this for the first time in August 2011, as part of the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. It centers around Andrea Nash and is set between Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3) and Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4).

If I remember correctly, this was the first Ilo
KatieV
Feb 23, 2017 KatieV rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, urban-fantasy
Nice little short story about Andrea and Raphael getting together while solving a case.
Ina
Jul 19, 2015 Ina rated it really liked it
Update: 15/12/2016
Just saw this picture, it instantly reminded me of Magic Mourns and made me laugh. Beware of Cerberus, guys!

Re-read: 01/10/2016

(I don't know who the author of this picture is, but it's simply perfect! Except for the fact Cerberus is missing two heads.)
"The guy only had her for six months out of the year, and he still remained faithful. That must be some sweet sex right there.

-> Greek mythology in one sentence.

Every time I start reading short story from KD univ
Gavin
Sep 27, 2013 Gavin rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I liked this short story featuring Andrea and Raphael from the Kate Daniels series.

The story was interesting enough with Andrea investigating a call about a shape shifter being attacked by a giant dog. The dog turned out to be a Hell Hound and and the shape shifter to be Raphael. Throw in a master of the dead gone bad and some Greek Gods and there was plenty to keep this interesting.

I really enjoyed the continuation of the romance between Andrea and Raphael which had begun in the ma
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 Stars

Exciting enough. Andrea had some big shoes to fill, but the story had a little of everything and didn't fail to entertain.

Now, what really intrigues me is this:
(view spoiler)
Charlie
I really like Andrea before but this novella gave a great insight into her character and I just love her. 5 stars.

Keertana
Nov 06, 2012 Keertana rated it really liked it
For the first time, I think it really hit me how much research this duo does. Seriously, how much do they prep before they write a novel or just a novella? It's amazing! For all I know, it could be unauthentic research, but with this novella, I know it's all true - after all, I recognize Greek Mythology even if I don't recognize the other types of mythology used in the other novels.

It is a testament to the writing skill of Ilona Andrews that they were able to pack such a huge amount of depth an
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Jul 26, 2015 Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ rated it really liked it
Andrea Nash is a Knight of the Order and Kate Daniels best friend. Andrea is helping Kate out while she's on medical leave. Teddy Jones calls Kate but gets Andrea instead. He tells her that were's tail is on fire and needs help. Andrea rides to the rescue of Raphael Medrano and ends up in more trouble than she bargained for. Andrea very much wants Raphael but can't really be with him because of her past. Raphael wants to know why Andrea refuses to let them be a couple. Andrea shares her story st ...more
Haïfoun
Sep 30, 2016 Haïfoun rated it liked it
Shelves: uf

I couldn't resist going back to Kate's world despite a lot of work and the short-lived decision to stop reading for a couple of weeks...

Fun read but I'm glad the main story happens in Kate's head (and not Andrea's). I would have preferred this short story was told from Raphael's POV.

(view spoiler)
I also finished
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Raphael is a hilarious hot piece. His recounting of accidentally falling tiredly upon KY covered sheets (used by someone else) was ridiculous. Andrea & Raphael are perfect together. Great addition to the Kate Daniels series.
Hollis
3.5 stars to this little "Andrea + Raphael finally hook up" novella.

Also, that little bitty tidbit at the end? Delicious. Of course, had I read this in order I'd be all "!!!!" but I already know what that little teaser is about. Still awesome, though.
Emily
Mar 17, 2017 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2017
I read this novella to answer some questions I had after reading the most recent Kate Daniels novel (namely, who the heck is Teddy Jo?). It was a happy surprise to get an Andrea/Raphael story, which I hadn't realized when I picked it up. I loved Gunmetal Magic, and it was great to get another story from Andrea's POV.
The relationship business felt like it moved rather quickly, but maybe that's because it's been a while since I read Gunmetal Magic, and I don't know where exactly to place this sto
Carina
I started reading Magic Mourns not because of my particular like for Andrea as a character, but because I wanted to know more about her and understand the reasons behind her actions – especially after having read Magic Bleeds. If there is one thing I love about Ilona Andrews’s style of writing, it’s that they don’t create shallow characters that act as mere extras to the story. So I knew that even if Andrea acted in ways I couldn't really understand or sympathise with, I still knew she had a dam ...more
Krazykiwi
Jan 24, 2017 Krazykiwi rated it really liked it
Spinoff novella from the Kate Daniels series featuring Andrea and Raphael.

Not much to say, it's as good as the rest of the universe so far, and I love these characters. It's nice to see Andrea learning to be happy.
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)
  • Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • Web of Death (Elemental Assassin, #1.5)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)

32 likes
“Who is there with you?"

"Raphael"

Kate's voice snapped. "I'll be in Atlanta in three hours. Where are you?"

"I said it's nothing major."

"Bullshit. You wouldn't work with Raphael unless the Apocalypse was imminent and that was the only way to prevent it.”
31 likes