The Legend of the Old Man of the Mountain

The Legend of the Old Man of the Mountain

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  1 review
Illustrated by Robert CrawfordFor centuries, the Great Stone Face has kept silent watch from Cannon Mountain, high above the Pemigewasset River. But who is the onlooker and for whom does he keep vigil? Though from warring tribes, Mohawk maiden Minerwa enchants Chief Pemigewasset, and with their union comes peace for many years. But when Minerwa leaves to visit her dying fa...more
Published September 22nd 2004 by Sleeping Bear Press

Marcia
Sep 15, 2009 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New England history,Native American folklore
A Native American tale explaining how the White Mountains's "Old Man of the Mountain" came to be. It's really a love story between Chief Pemigewasett and Mohawk Minerwa. Since the Old Man crumbled in 2003, I don't think many kids will have the reference point that makes this story so interesting to those of us who have seen the famous rocky face.
Beth Porter
Beth Porter marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Kathy Chiles
Kathy Chiles marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Argyl
Argyl marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Bryan
Bryan added it
May 16, 2012
Joyce
Joyce added it
Aug 23, 2009
Denise Ortakales
Aug 13, 2008 Denise Ortakales rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am an illustrator and author of children's books. My medium of choice is paper sculpture. To learn more about it, visit my website sculptedpaper.com. You will also find teacher's guides for some of the books, and information on my school visits.
More about Denise Ortakales...
Good Morning, Garden Planets Carrot in My Pocket How Does Your Salad Grow? Extreme Nature (An All Aboard Reading Collection, Station Stop 3)