Start by marking “Animosity” as Want to Read:

Andrew Holland is a bestselling horror writer. While none of Andy's neighbors has any interest in reading his macabre books, they're pleased to have a celebrity author living among them.

Then, one morning, Andy finds the body of a child several hundred feet from his front door. A little girl who has been raped and murdered.

And everything changes on Poinsettia Lane.

Hardcover, signed limited to 400 numbered copies, 235 pages
Published April 2011 by Necessary Evil Press

To ask other readers questions about Animosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animosity

K. Wood
Jun 20, 2011 K. Wood rated it really liked it
Not quite the book I expected. It was a bit more outlandish than I anticipated, for whatever reason. I expected something subtler, a kind of horror that crept up slowly instead of bashing you in the face—which is precisely what it did. But that doesn't mean I was disappointed. Quite the opposite, in fact. Animosity was a hell of a good ride.
Rick Hipson
Jun 19, 2011 Rick Hipson rated it it was amazing
ANIMOSITY by James Newman

Animosity. Defined by the Webster’s dictionary as: “Ill will or resentment tending toward active hostility; an antagonistic attitude.”

James Newman’s definition is much more terrifying, through the heart and unforgiving. We’ve all been there at some time or another during our lives. The way people stare. The way they point and whisper behind our backs. Maybe some of them were once friends, good friends that we had come to know well and have even cared about once upon a t
Iain Wright
Oct 10, 2011 Iain Wright rated it it was amazing
Whenever I review a piece of work I try very hard to find a balance between the good and bad. While my reviews generally focus more on the positive aspects of a novel, out of fairness to the author, I always try to highlight any flaws I see. ANIMOSITY, by James Newman, however, is one of those rare novels that left me with absolutely nothing negative to say about it, and as such was one of my best reads of 2011 so far.

What is really unique about ANIMOSITY is how much tension it manages to create
Jon Recluse
Mar 16, 2014 Jon Recluse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judge not.

This is one of the most powerful horror novels I have read in my life. Because it can happen. It is happening. And there is no end in sight.
In a world where public opinion, born of baser impulses, rules. Internet judgement. Trial by Facebook. Where a rumor, a flat out lie, can take on a life of it's own, usually from the broken body of the truth, left to rot, forgotten in the mad rush to judgement, which builds from a trickle to a torrent without thought. Fueled by an irresponsible med
Jul 22, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely, unquestionably, one of the best books I have ever come across! James Newman throws out all the emotions you would expect to encounter in a horror novel--and then takes it up several notches! What makes ANIMOSITY stand out so far among the other books out there, is that this is a story of something that COULD happen. It explores some of the evil in our world today, when Andy (a horror novelist) finds the recently raped and murdered body of a little girl in an empty lot on his street.

Dec 12, 2014 Char rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know what to say. I'm moved, I'm pissed off, and I'm shaken. This was a powerful tale.

A brutal story made even more so by the fact that it could (mostly) happen. A child's dead body is discovered by a horror author. From then on, his life will never be the same.

There are many levels here, from a fearless look at mob mentality to a scathing commentary on the sad state of our media. All combining into a monumental explosion of a denouement. The only issue I had was that the story wen
Jun 16, 2014 Scot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an·i·mos·i·ty [an-uh-mos-i-tee]

a feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action: a deep-seated animosity between two sisters; animosity against one's neighbor.

This is how the dictionary defines animosity.
James Newman defines it as a dread infused nightmare, an amazing tale of the horror that lies in wait behind white picket fences and signs declaring "Welcome Friends" , where the true monsters live next door offering you a beer or a "Howdy, neighbor".
11811 (Eleven)
Jun 17, 2014 11811 (Eleven) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a literary anxiety attack that will leave you popping Xanax like it's candy. I was legitimately frightened by this one and that doesn't happen often. The final 25% made my muscles sore because I was so tensed up while reading. I may need to adjust my top 5 books of all time. It is definitely one of the most important horror novels I ever read.

This needs a wider audience and an eventual film deal. Somebody should get on that.
Edward Lorn
Apr 12, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For reference, here's the list of my Top Twenty Reads of All Time. (ANIMOSITY has not been added yet, because I want to showcase those that came before it.) Once you click over, I'd like you to note only the top five. Now, on with the review.

ANIMOSITY is the best book I've read. Period. Will you think so? Well, this comes down to, as always, personal preference and the foundation on which you've built your life. My own perception of the human condition is different than yours. I'm a horror writ
Gregor Xane
May 31, 2014 Gregor Xane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This suspense novel is damned near perfect. The only things keeping me from proclaiming this the best thriller I've ever read are some decisions two characters make in the second half of the novel that I didn't quite find believable. Other people might read the whole book and have no idea what I'm talking about, and that would be great. That would mean that they loved this thing even more than I did.

This book does everything a suspense novel should do:

- It kept me up late
- It prevented me from d
May 03, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My expectations were so high coming into this one, I was almost afraid to read it. I’m glad I did, and I wasn’t disappointed. There is a palpable sense of dread and building tension, in Animosity, that grabs you around the throat until it is hard to breathe.

Andy writes horror, and now, he gets to live one.
Andy has neighbors, and now, he gets to kill some.

An idyllic town goes sideways, after the death of a young girl, in a frenzy of mob mentality “fueled by their idiotic prejudices and misguided
Paul Nelson
Animosity is one of those books that no matter your preferred genre, should definitely be read. An incredibly powerful story that will leave a lasting impression. James Newman proves he is a master storyteller with a tale that builds the tension in a slow, measured fashion, bordering on torture until an almost surreal explosion of hatred brings an incredulous finale.

There’s no fantastical elements, no ghosts or horror as such, just a gritty tale of realism, that you could envisage actually happe
Adam Light
Well, where do I start?

Animosity is my first read from James Newman, and as a caveat I must point out that I was the lucky recipient of a free copy the author offered in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No problem! I loved it! Hands down, this is the best book I have read this year, and I read a lot. Pretty much constantly if I can manage it.

I have read other reader's reviews and I don't see the need to get all redundant and waste words rehashing what everyone is saying already.

What I will
Trev Twinem
Jul 05, 2014 Trev Twinem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten minutes ago I killed three of my neighbors...Four, if you count the baby. What a start! to a fantastic rollercoaster of a ride the leaves the reader breathless right to the last page. Andy Holland is a horror writer (and we love horror writers!) living single at home from his estranged wife Karen (who he found in an uncompromising position with her boss!) and daughter Samantha. Andy is carrying a lot of heartache there’s just him now, and his good old buddy his faithful dog Norman and one da ...more
Ken McKinley
I first discovered James Newman briefly in his excellent werewolf short story, The Virgin O' Full Moon Falls and I was looking forward to the much hyped Animosity. Let me tell ya, the hype was warranted. Newman delivered and then some.

Andy is a successful horor author. He's a beloved figure on his cul de sac getting along well with his neighbors. His books are featured down at the local convenience store. Although Andy is trying to get over a painful divorce where his wife ran off with the guy
3,5 /5 stars

I went looking for it because of the great reviews it received and from the reviews I expected a bit more. It's a very good book but I don't think it's awesome, sorry. One thing's for sure: that's why I prefer living downtown, rather than living in the suburbs!
Jun 28, 2014 Karl rated it it was amazing
In the introduction to the Necessary Evil Press edition to "Animosity" Ray Garton speaks to events in his own life that parallel the events in this Masterfully written tale of lies, fear, and hatred toward an innocent writer of best selling horror novels.

Andy Holland the main character lives in a neighborhood just like our neighborhood. His neighbors are our just like our neighbors. He has a great dog and a beautiful daughter. Mr. Newman is convincingly able to show us how hatred and ugliness i
Jun 29, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
This is a whirlwind read that sweeps you along like a paper boat tossing on the ocean as the tension builds until the final pages.

ˌantipathy, hostility, friction, antagonism, enmity, animus, opposition, aversion, acrimony,, rancour, resentment, dislike, ill feeling, bad feeling, ill will, bad blood, hatred, hate, loathing, detestation, abhorrence all boil with the story.

Like Andy, the main character, you cannot quite believe what is happening and you feel sure common sense will prevail within
Jul 19, 2014 Pamellia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
Animosity by James Newman
Opened July 16, Closed July 18, 2014
Recommended by friends from Goodreads

As well as I remember I have only read one other book by James Newman and that was Midnight Rain. I must say of the two, Animosity was my favorite.

The story starts out at the end of the story, so that I was wondering what the heck happened for friends and neighbors to end up like this.

The plot moved along nicely. It was difficult to put this book down and continue with my activities of daily
Dec 26, 2015 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was a surprisingly impressive read. I finished it this morning, and I'm still feeling on edge about the whole experience. I think my mind believes it experienced the ordeal for real.

This is a fast paced suspense horror thriller. It had me feeling slightly uneasy, very paranoid, afraid, panicky, stressed, in tears (the poisoning part, oh no, so sad), angry, and having to read as fast as I possibly could to find out what happens next.

This is a very believable and somewhat unnerving remin
Jan 03, 2015 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard so many good things about this one that by the time I got to read it certain expectations were in place and Animosity didn't disappoint. It starts off horrifyingly and ends the same way, last chapter being one of the most graphically disturbing things I've read recently including the news. And then the middle of the book tell the readers how a quaint suburban community turned into a Danteesque nightmare. There is no supernatural element here at all, unlike in so many horror books(includi ...more
Wayne Barrett
Jun 10, 2016 Wayne Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2016

A moving example of how the media can propagate the facts of an event, thereby inciting the public to act in ways that will bring even more drama for their market.

This poor guy is stereotyped for being a Horror writer. when asked why I write Horror, I like to answer that I prefer writing about something that is true as opposed to something that presents false impressions, such as Romance... or politics!
May 03, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

5 stars

Wow, this was one powerful read! I really enjoyed this fast paced horror thriller by new to me author James Newman and I'll definitely be checking out more of his books.
Richard Vialet
*3.5 Stars*
This is the type of story that I'm a sucker for: the focus on the dark-side of human nature and how society naturally can turn on itself and become something terrifying. Here, we follow a commercially successful horror writer that stumbles onto the corpse of a raped and murdered little girl, and the way that the media and gossip causes his small town to turn against him.

Much of your enjoyment of this novel might hinge on how well you think the transition into the mob mentality works.
Overall, I wasn't quite as "wowed" as most, but I did like it. The first half of the book steadily increased my anxiety level, for sure. By the end of the first half I was so pissed off at these neighbors that I was cursing them quietly while I was reading.

Side note: I've lived in my house for 16 years and my neighbors on both sides have changed a couple of times. One of them -a grown man with kids-I caught sneaking down my driveway with a bow and arrow, following my cat. I confronted him and m
Oct 21, 2015 SUSAN rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 3.5 stars.

Bestselling horror writer Andy Holland is walking his dog one morning when he comes upon the corpse of a 7yr old girl.
With a statutory rape conviction in his past,the police and his neighbors begin to question his innocence,and the subject matter of his books.

Well written,creepy and well within the realm of possibilities.
Feb 21, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a tautly written, well-crafted thriller, James Newman presents a grim tale of suburban horror that begs the question: do we really know our neighbors, those folks we've said hello to almost every day, shared beers and weekend barbecues with, laughed and cried with?

Bestselling horror novelist, Andrew Holland, stumbles upon a horrific discovery one day while out walking his dog, and soon becomes trapped in a maelstrom of terror and madness.

Highly recommended!
Glen Krisch
What a dark, DARK novel. Human monsters, can it get more real?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Children's Hour
  • The Light is the Darkness
  • The Gentling Box
  • Snowblind

“I have experienced real horror. I have known true evil. Its name is human nature.” 8 likes
“Hard at work on a new one, huh? What’s this one called?”
“A Feast of Souls.”
“A Feast of Souls,” Ben said. “Classy.” I slowed, unsure whether or not I had detected a hint of sarcasm in my neighbor’s tone.”