Start by marking “Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man” as Want to Read:
Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man

Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Now here's a formula for near disaster: East Coast big-city guy, world-traveler, jounalist, and otherwise politically savvy fellow settles down in rural Alaska, where men are many and manly, and women with survival skills are good to count among your friends. He wants to fit in. But how does one learn to be a Mountain Man? By observing, imitating, and making near-fatal mis ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Alaska Northwest Books

To ask other readers questions about Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man

Kate
Feb 04, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it
I have nothing but admiration and respect for people who were either born in Alaska or have moved there to make a life for themselves. But I don't respect this guy. Not one bit. This is exactly the kind of person who doesn't deserve to live in Alaska and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near power tools, reasonable people, or a computer (because, of course, he wants to write about his experiences). In this book, he relates supposedly true stories about his "adventures" while trying to become a true ...more
Mary
Apr 06, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
I'm just on the third chapter of this. I find myself laughing and grinning over his tale of learning How To Do Things in his first year living in Alaska. So far, so good. Great read unless you're expecting a thrills and chills book. Nicely paced for relaxation and enjoyment.

... I have now finished this book. It was a great read although the epilogue was a little less jovial. I'd suggest this book for relaxation and good humor. no stress, violence or any of that nasty stuff! ;-)
Ashley
Mar 14, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
Interesting look at what it means to suddenly become a transplant in a small Alaskan town. Wont lie, found his near death experiences and blunders to be the most interesting. Doug did a humorous as well as detailed job at conveying the quirks of small town Alaskan life and the stark differences of life as an Alaskan from life as a lower 48er.
desertmolly
Jun 26, 2007 desertmolly rated it did not like it
Not what I expected..wasn't prepared for Fine's attempt at humor. The concept is interesting - NYcity guy moves to the Alaskan hinterlands and does a City Slicker take with what little he knows about roughing it in the great outdoors. All this told in a chuckling manner, but in the end the only one laughing at his jokes must be Doug himself..
Laurie
Jan 29, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
This book was a gift. It is a bit of a light read, and there were times I could not believe what this guy did. He was definately an urbanite trying to live the rural life. But, for all the dumb things he did I give him credit for trying. If you want a light read and a few chuckles try this one.
Dawn
Aug 01, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Slightly biased as it was written by a friend, but I found Doug's writing to be witty and entertaining. Doug takes alternate realities and makes them his true reality, and then writes about his misadventures. Very enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to his new book, Too High to Fail.
Bayneeta
Mar 19, 2009 Bayneeta rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Rookie moves to Alaska and survives his first year. Read this cuz I liked Farewell my Subaru so very much, and the subject was interesting to me. He wrote this one first and obviously his writing has improved.
Kristy
Apr 05, 2010 Kristy rated it it was ok
Didn't finish. Enjoyed his other book about farming in NM better.
Donna
Feb 27, 2008 Donna rated it it was ok
Some chapters were wildly funny, but most just ok.
Karen
Aug 08, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
I have dcided I really like auto- and biographies.
Lt
Lt marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Abby Austin
Abby Austin rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Cliff Krug
Cliff Krug marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
KylaS
KylaS added it
Jan 28, 2016
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Bryan Calderwood
Bryan Calderwood rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
KJ, Madame Librarian
KJ, Madame Librarian marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Johnnie
Johnnie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Doug Johnson
Doug Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Mariana Florit
Mariana Florit rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Noj1080
Noj1080 rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After graduating from Stanford, Doug Fine strapped on a backpack and traveled to five continents, reporting from remote perches in Burma, Rwanda, Laos, Guatemala and Tajikistan. He is a correspondent for NPR and PRI. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Wired, Salon, US News and World Report, Christian Science Monitor, and Outside Magazine. A native of Long Island, Fine now lives in an ob ...more
More about Doug Fine...