The End and the Beginning: Pope John Paul II--The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“As March gave way to April in the spring of 2005 and the world kept vigil outside the apostolic palace in Rome, the pontificate of Pope John Paul II, then drawing to a poignant end, was already being described as one of the most consequential in two millennia of Christian history.”

With these words, world-renowned author and NBC Vatican analyst George Weigel begins his lon...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Image (first published September 10th 2010)

Win a Copy of This Book

• The End and the Beginning by George Weigel
    The End and the Beginning: Pope John Paul II -- The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy
    When Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II was published in 1999, it was hailed by the New York Times as "a fascinating chronicle" and t…more
    Giveaway dates: Mar 10 - Apr 27, 2014
    10 copies available, 261 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

Victor
    This was more like a reference book than a book that you were supposed to read from front to back. I normally like a bunch of detail, but this time Weigel seriously needed an editor (and not the first time).

I liked Pope John Paul II, and I’m glad that Weigel wrote this, but I had some issues when he criticizes Pope John Paul II. I am not saying that anyone is perfect, but Weigel criticized Pope John Paul II for not being more supportive of the war in Iraq. From my point of view, that was not th...more
    Richard Stephenson
    I really liked it!

I knew Pope John Paul II was a very great man... but I had NO IDEA.

The struggles, the difficulties, the constant torment from political agencies of destruction... meant nothing. Not to say they didn't get in the way, but nothing stopped this holy man from doing the good Lord's work in the world.

And with such love, humor, and all-encompassing compassion... forever putting aside his own physical pain and suffering to focus on serving the world. Amazing.

Now I couldn't give it 5*'s...more
    Linda
    Nov 20, 2011 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: adults
    Recommended to Linda by: first read good read
    Shelves: first-read
    The true story of Karol Wojtyola's life's journal from this beginning in war torn Poland to the end as Pope John Paul 11.
    It covers each and every detail of his life as he experienced it. It also covers the actions of those who saw him as their greatest enemy during his forty-year struggle against communism.

In order to realize the role he played in the downfall of communism you must read it slowly (including the Notes). It not a quick read. The book covers one of histories most dangerous times.
    W...more
    Pete Iseppi
    There were many who did not like Pope John Paul II. However, there were MANY more who did than didn't, and VERY few that did not at least respect him. There is no doubt that he was one of a handful of Giants of the 20th century. In my opinion, he was an amazing man. You know that game where you pick the figures from history that you would like to invite to dinner, and then discuss your choices? Well, Pope JPII would be at the top of my list. To spice things up, I think that I'd seat him between...more
    Don Mario
    La prima parte dell'opera ricostruisce le vicende dei rapporti tra Karol Woytjla e il blocco sovietico. Grazie all'apertura di archivi segreti e le testimonianze dei protagonisti, emerge un quadro appassionante e davvero inedito.

La seconda parte percorre da vicino gli ultimi anni della vita di Giovanni Paolo II e presenta un livello di dettaglio francamente eccessivo per i miei interessi. Non credo che troverò mai il tempo di finirlo.

Metterei quattro stelle per la prima parte, ma solo tre per l'...more
    Brian
    George Weigel is one of the foremost authors who stays abreast of contemporary issues surrounding the on-going dialogue between the Church and the world. But in this book, he reveals the unknown, untold story of the life of an incredible man and - beyond any doubt - a true witness to Christ: Pope John Paul II, before he was Pope (Karol Wojtyla). A great read, very gripping.
    Conor
    Over a decade after he wrote Witness to Hope, George Weigel is back with a fascinating account of John Paul II's fight against communism and the last years of his pontificate. Weigel is a great story teller and Karol Wojytla/John Paul II comes alive in these pages. This is no small book, but the pace is great and Weigel keeps you interested.
    Wendy
    This is another book that I have not read in it's entirety yet. It is a difficult, complicated read, but worth it! It is so interesting to read about the political situation while Blessed Pope John Paul II was in the Vatican. Things that the outside world had no idea had going on. I definitely recommend this book!
    Curmudgeon66
    The first part of this, about the fall of communism is quite interesting. I'm only about half way through. Some sections are a bit of a slog to get through, just like Weigel's first book about JPII. But I am learning alot.
    John Cawley
    Jan 04, 2011 John Cawley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    So far, extremely impressive, particularly in its ability to accurately describe Communist governments, their nature, activities, and their suppression of any competing influences, i.e. Catholicism in Poland.
    Luke Reisdorf
    Definitely a thick read, the first third of the book seemed the most interesting regarding the communist handling of Pope John Paul II.
    Ryan Moore
    Very well written continuation of A Witness to Hope.
    Kasia Hubbard
    Oct 24, 2011 Kasia Hubbard marked it as to-read
    I won this on Goodreads. I received my copy on October 24.
    Ann
    Extremely informative, but a little dry.
    Dawn
    Dawn marked it as to-read
    Marjorie Springer
    Marjorie Springer marked it as to-read
    Traci Hearty
    Traci Hearty marked it as to-read
    Sean MacKenzie
    Sean MacKenzie marked it as to-read
    Peter NT Snow
    Peter NT Snow marked it as to-read
    Vincent
    Vincent marked it as to-read
    Tasha
    Tasha marked it as to-read
    Pam
    Pam marked it as to-read
    Jennifer Riggs
    Jennifer Riggs marked it as to-read
    Ellen knoud
    Ellen knoud marked it as to-read
    Marcia
    Marcia marked it as to-read
    Alicia
    Alicia marked it as to-read
    April
    April marked it as to-read
    Mike Rogers
    Mike Rogers marked it as to-read
    Apr 13, 2014
    American author and political and social activist. Distinguished Senior Fellow of the Ethics and Public Policy Center. Weigel was the Founding President of the James Madison Foundation.
    Each summer, Weigel and several other Catholic intellectuals from the United States, Poland, and across Europe conduct the Tertio Millennio Seminar on the Free Society in Krakow, in which they and an assortment of...more
    More about George Weigel...
    Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II Letters to a Young Catholic The Courage To Be Catholic: Crisis, Reform And The Future Of The Church The Cube and the Cathedral: Europe, America, and Politics Without God God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church