Start by marking “Part Wild: One Woman's Journey with a Creature Caught Between the Worlds of Wolves and Dogs” as Want to Read:

Part Wild is the unforgettable story of Ceiridwen Terrill's journey with a creature whose heart is divided between her bond to one woman and her need to roam free. When Terrill adopts a wolfdog—part husky, part gray wolf—named Inyo to be her protector and fellow traveler, she is drawn to Inyo’s spark of wildness; compelled by the great responsibility, even danger, that ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Part Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Part Wild

Mary Kelley
Dec 28, 2011 Mary Kelley rated it did not like it
I think that obtaining any dog without reading about the dogbreed is wrong and moreso with a wolf mix. I think 3 years 4 months does not make an expert. Her story is typical of many dog breeds that require lots of work and much training.. As a companion to wolfdogs of varing content I am always interested in other peoples stories and could not pass it up. From the beginning I felt a sence of doom. This woman is very candid about events in her life - an abusive relationship, herself diagnosed as ...more
Oolookitty
Oct 17, 2012 Oolookitty rated it it was ok
This is a tough one to review. It's well-written, but as a tale of someone who makes one bad decision after another -- decisions which affect everyone around her in mostly negative ways -- it gets old to have her continually play the victim. I finished the book really disliking the author and feeling bad for the animals in her care --- and for any animal unlucky enough to live in the immediate vicinity while her "wolfdog" was roaming the streets.

A primer for what not to do, I guess.

Also, for the
Erin Coleman
Feb 22, 2012 Erin Coleman rated it really liked it
Please note: Received this book from Goodreads giveaway.

Rough book - not the writing, just the struggles of every single living creature mentioned in the book. I don't think anyone made it out without a scratch.

I admire the author's candidness and honesty in admitting some pretty heavy mistakes. While her decisions were not the ones that I would have made (currently springing to mind is the idea that a destructive wolfdog needs two puppy friends, especially when the owners are drowning in debt)
Shazza Maddog
Dec 21, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it it was amazing
Ms. Terrill writes about a subject I know something about - living with a wolfdog - in her memoir. Inyo, her wolfdog, was supposed to be her link from the human world to the wild. Inyo was supposed to be her protector, to keep her ex-boyfriend from taking control of her life again. Inyo was supposed to be the best dog ever - but things didn't work out that way.

Inyo didn't act like a dog. She acted like a wolf. She lived with Terrill for four years, and during that time, it was a strain on Terri
Cathy Scholtens
Jun 19, 2012 Cathy Scholtens rated it really liked it
So many reviewers have panned this book because the author wrote about the stupid decisions she made concerning having a wolf-hybrid animal. I liked the story because she DID write the book, to warn others about the pitfalls and disasters waiting for all involved.
The fact that the author’s personal life is also a disaster, it didn't surprise me that she chose to enter into what was so obviously a disaster in waiting.
I think to write about one's own screw-ups is admirable, especially when you can
Lara
Oct 11, 2011 Lara rated it it was amazing
I really admire Terrill's bravery in telling the story of her wolfdog Inyo and illuminating the heartbreak and danger of trying to contain wild animals in human bonds. She went farther than personal memoir with a great deal of research into the challenges facing wild wolves, the still-debated origin of domestic dogs, and the "genetic tameness" experiments with foxes in Russia. She is also an accomplished writer and describes nature and its creatures in eloquent detail. Compelling and sobering.
Phoenix Carvelli
Jan 31, 2012 Phoenix Carvelli rated it really liked it
Review book won on Goodreads.com on 1-31-12.

This was a truly inspiring and yet sad story. It is an unfortunate fate that awaits many of the wolf dogs that are bred each year. As beautiful as these animals are, I would much prefer to see wolves in their natural surroundings instead of their mixed offspring living in cramped pens for life. It seems when man gets involved with nature, the outcomes are not always what are planned or hoped for in the end.

While reading, I wondered if Inyo was not only
Amber Polo
Aug 19, 2012 Amber Polo rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, dogs
The title describes Ms. Terrill as well as Inyo (at least during the time their lives were together). Her extreme adventures show her searching for wilderness experience outside the bounds of the ordinary. Telling her story as honestly as she did was exceedingly brave. To reveal your personal shortcomings is never easy and her choices with Inyo would have been different after her research.
Like dog ownership, what happens between human and animal is often a result of the owner and the owner’s ch
Jillyn
Jan 26, 2012 Jillyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers, dog lovers, environmentalists, dog breeders
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is an emotional journey in which one dog owner must decide for herself the rights and wrongs in a situation where no one is the winner. I found this book to be a nice blend of research and facts and memoir. I learned much about wolves, wolfdogs, and canines in general, and at the same time, gained insight into the difficult life of the author and the personal battles she had to face both with and without her wolfdog, Inyo. I caught mys
Edward Sullivan
Sep 09, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
After escaping an abusive relationship, Terrill adopts a wolfdog pup, hoping that the hybrid's wild independence will rub off on her. At the same time, she finds a new sense of security in her new boyfriend. Neither relationship turns out to be as stable as she hoped. The wolfdog incorrigibleness results in chronic escapes, a destroyed apartment, terrorized neighbors, and several incarcerations in the pound. Meanwhile, financial irresponsibility on the part of her spouse and the strain of caring ...more
Justin Podur
Oct 25, 2013 Justin Podur rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, science
This is a sad, heartbreaking, and somewhat infuriating book, and a story that is being repeated over and over because people don't pay attention to what this author learned. She tried to adopt a wolf-dog, and she failed. The story of the attempt and failure is full of lessons about why wild animals should not be treated as pets. My feeling reading this was that humans get a lot out of our relationships with animals, but the relationships are almost never reciprocal. In order to enjoy the experie ...more
Ashley
As I read this book, the more I became interested in wolf dogs. Inyo's distinct sense of wildness and attachment to her owner was compelling. I learned a great deal about these wild hybrids, and followed the adventures of Inyo and her owner from puppyhood to the day when Inyo was ultimately put down. I was still inspired by this incredible story of a dog that should have never apparently happend, but I am glad did. For without her and her owner, this book would never have been possible. In fact, ...more
Rwildfon
Dec 21, 2011 Rwildfon rated it it was amazing
Well, this story certainly opened my eyes to the reality of wolfdogs. I have met a few, also met wolves and know that they are incredibly time consuming to have in your life. This book confirms how humans should not go messing around with animal gene pools and should not play out their fantasies of harboring "near wild" creatures. I shudder to think of how many wolfdogs are alive in the US right now. Want a dog? Get a dog.
Sarah Boon
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah Boon rated it really liked it
Thoughtful exploration of the wolf-dog phenomena, from someone who had a wolf dog and realized her mistake. Chronicles her own life with a wolf dog, interspersed with extensive research on both wolves & dogs separately, as well as the wolf-dog industry. Heartbreaking but very lucid, not self-pitying or self-promotional in any way. Very clear eyed analysis of the issue despite her own (major) personal involvement.
Carolyn
Feb 21, 2017 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: a-good-one-yes
I want to be the woman in this book. She described it all so well. Who wouldn't want a wolf dog to traverse the wild with?
Yet there were so many horrible lessons in it to warn one, not to take on such a task.
Similar to folks who get Pit bulls and expect them not to fight or attack other dogs. Or get a Border Collie and try caging them all the time. As well as a friend of mine who got a Pug and expected it to live in the garage 24/7. People can be unconsciously cruel, by not learning about the b
Amber
Sep 27, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books, nonfiction
Recommended reading for anyone who loves dogs and/or wolves, especially those who seek to understand the relationship between the two.

This book takes both an anecdotal and scientific approach to exploring the origins, characteristics, and fate of an interspecies hybrid, the wolfdog. It is the memoir of an intelligent, yet troubled woman who, while running from one damaging relationship, unwittingly throws herself into another: with a wolfdog named Inyo.

Drawn to wolfdogs by notions of their nobi
Ashley E
Jan 22, 2012 Ashley E rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, first-reads
I knew going in that this book was not going to be a happy tale, but it caught me up anyway. I couldn't help but fall in love with Inyo, anyway. This book is about one woman's mistakes and trials and heartbreaks, and what she does to try to fix them when everything seems to go wrong.

Part memoir, part canine research, Part Wild grabbed me from the very beginning and I just couldn't stop reading. Her reminiscences are loving and touching, but blunt with truth, even the unpleasant ones. Her factual
Karen & Gerard
What a story this is! Part Wild by Ceiridwen Terrill is the true story of Ceiridwen trying to raise a wolf dog from the moment it was born. I loved this book so much! The writing is so good that I wanted to reach out and help her or give her a hug at least. Her husband gives her just as much trouble, if not more, than the dog does! There are funny and sad moments—this book has it all! It's a page turner for sure. Make it a point to read this book because you will love it and remember it when you ...more
Lychee
Aug 27, 2012 Lychee rated it did not like it
Read for book club. Our group had strongly divergent responses with some stronger than usual personal connections either positively or negatively. I tended to dislike the writing when it came to both her personal narrative and the detailed research. She mentions working on a PhD but never specifies what she was studying. Presumably something about wolves, dogs, or wolf-dogs. The book seemed to me like an awkward mashup between an intimate memoir and a well-documented scientific research report.

M
J.T.
Oct 21, 2013 J.T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: canine
Like dog ownership, what happens between human and animal is often a result of the owner and the owner's cho
Bobby
Mar 05, 2013 Bobby rated it really liked it
Sometimes it's better to go into a book without expectations. Upon starting Part Wild, I expected to be further educated above and beyond anything else. Problem was I've been reading all manner of dog/animal books lately - perspectives by biologists, cognitive scientists, philosophers, and more - and so there was not a lot of factual info here that was new to me. However...this book as a story was just terrific. The story of a woman with a troubled life that is identified with an animal that is ...more
Nikki
Oct 07, 2014 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish it was an option to give a book negative stars.
The only way this book would have redeemed itself is if, on the last page, the editor wrote a message saying the idiotic, weak-willed, naive, doormat of an author trekked into the wilderness and was never seen again. Although Inyo has been seen roaming with a pack all her own.
What a train wreck of irresponsibility and weakness this author is.
First off, judging by her inability to take care of her own well being, dragging another life into her
Meredith
Jul 11, 2013 Meredith rated it did not like it
Shelves: scribd
Ok, well, I feel a bit vindicated looking at other reviews here. I knew people with wolf dogs in Arizona, and there's this whole crazy culture of wolf dogs there as well, so I had hopes that this might be an interesting read.

Here's the problem: this woman is a dumbass. I love memoirs, I really do, but having a crappy life and making terrible choices does not an effective memoir make. And boy, does she seem good at making painfully myopic choices. I just couldn't go any further.
Jenny
Feb 07, 2012 Jenny rated it did not like it
Writing leaves much to be desired. Hard to follow narrative.
Katja
Oct 08, 2012 Katja rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. I feel like it should be common sense that wolves and dogs should not be crossbred, so I was frustrated by the premise itself.
Shannon
Jun 26, 2017 Shannon rated it liked it
At first glance, I thought breeding a wolf and a dog to make a "wolfdog" was a terrible idea...Turns out I was right. Throughout the entire book, as Terrill narrated Inyo's antics, I got more and more stressed out. I thought she did the right thing in the end. And the writing was great too.
Lonnie Kinser
Mar 15, 2017 Lonnie Kinser rated it it was amazing
Exceptional writing that is beautiful prose woven with intelligent content that leads a clear critical argument concerning our human relationships with the "Wild" that will resonate long after the reader has finished the last page. At times humerous and also emotionally wrenching, the narrative moves with a quick alacrity. It is very possible to forget everything else and read the entire thing in one sitting. Its that kind of book. There is the questioning of self and the choices that lead to th ...more
Jessica
Jan 31, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
I'm not a dog person. I am more of a cat person and anyone who knew me growing up would know that since at one point (for a brief 3 month period) we had 10 cats! (YIKES!) I am also not big on reading dog/cat books...but I happened to win this one from goodreads so I was "obligated" to read it. :)

The basic premise of this memoir/non-fiction work is that the author was a grad student living in the southwest. She had part ways with a controlling boyfriend who threatened to track her down no matter
Alexandra Heeter
Joan Colby
Apr 30, 2013 Joan Colby rated it really liked it
A powerful and tragic story that is as much about Terrill as the high-content wolf-dog Inyo that she raised form a cub. Inyo is 85% wolf which was guaranteed to make her more difficult as a companion than a lesser mix. Terrill, however, had a compelling need to have a wolf, in part due to her confessed craziness (OCD), and other personality flaws which led to her living with an abuser for years, unable to find the grit to leave—when she finally does so, she flees to another state, leaving a floc ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Part Wild by Ceiridwen Terrill 3 14 Dec 25, 2013 10:39PM
  • Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape
  • The Last Wild Wolves: Ghosts of the Rain Forest
  • Cochineal Red: Travels Through Ancient Peru
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Wolves in the Land of Salmon
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • The Company of Wolves
  • The Turquoise Ledge: A Memoir
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species
  • The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection between Humans and Dogs
  • One Nation Under Dog: Adventures in the New World of Prozac-Popping Puppies, Dog-Park Politics, and Organic Pet Food
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2010
  • Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred
  • The Man Who Lives with Wolves
  • The Modern Dog: How Dogs Fit into Our Society, Culture, and Our Personal and Emotional Lives
I’m a writer and adventurer who loves to tell stories about humans and animals sharing home ground. I also write about people I admire who do important work on behalf of wildlife, trying to make a way for animals despite shrinking and fragmented habitats. I hope these stories inspire people to be better humans on the planet, because animals need all the help they can get.

I explore my own human foi
More about Ceiridwen Terrill...