Start by marking “Angels and Saints: A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God's Holy Ones” as Want to Read:
Angels and Saints: A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God's Holy Ones
Read Excerpt

Angels and Saints: A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God's Holy Ones

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Angels and saints. Catholics tend to think of them as "different" from the rest of us. They're cast in plaster or simpering on a holy card, performing miracles with superhero strength, or playing a harp in highest heaven.
Yet they are very near to us in every way. In this lively book, Scott Hahn dispels the false notions and urban legends people use to keep the saints at a
Published May 27th 2014 by Image (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Angels and Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels and Saints

You know, I half expected to find this book annoying. I don't know if it's a general snarkiness in my mindset or a reluctance to read nonfiction of late, but I found myself delighted even more.

I was especially touched by how Hahn bares himself a bit in the beginning and then ties it all together at the end. This becomes, instead of a scholarly look at some of the more inaccessible saints I could name, rather a personal journey to meet some good friends of another good friend.

I did find myself po
Barb
Angels and Saints was planned to be a book about just that; Angels and Saints. But in the writing process, Scott Hahn, discovered it wasn’t quite that easy. He ended up with much more introductory information than a simple introduction should contain. In my opinion, it is very important information and I am glad he made it Part I of the book. He shares a personal incident from his life, tells the technical meaning of “saint” and other titles of honor, who are saints and what do they do, what our ...more
Jennifer Short
When I went through RCIA, the one topic that we didn’t get to cover well was saints. I was excited to find out that Scott Hahn has a book called Angels and Saints, A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God’s Holy Ones.

I am a big fan of Scott Hahn, and I highly recommend his books and this one is no exception. As someone who grew up Protestant, this was one of the more difficult teachings in Catholicism for me. As is true of all of Dr. Hahn’s work, he explains so well the teachings of the Church th
Sheila
Angels and Saints, by Scott Hahn, is a very engaging, personable, and readable book with a down-to-earth approach to heaven-on-earth. The author starts out by relating his own experience of that holy, catholic church, where angels and saints surround him in prayer as his child lies ill. But we are all saints, he says, in Christ, though we can’t be in ourselves. And this promise gives a uniquely promising flavor to the author’s look at church history and theology.

Catholics will enjoy this book’s
Kari
Scott Hahn delivers a scholarly and well-referenced look at sainthood—what it means, how it’s achieved and how the saints (along with the angels) are a very real part of our God-given family. He does an excellent job of building a case for why we should turn to our heavenly family, and does an even better job explaining many popular objections people struggle with when approaching the saints. Hahn’s gifts as a theologian shine through with clear, concise Biblical references and explanations thro ...more
P.e.
This book opens up with Mr. Hahn traveling with his family and his son gets ill and is taken to a local hospital. It does not look like anything would see in the U.S. and though his son is in pain and discomfort there really is nothing they can do for him until the morning. For the rest of the night he prays and as a parent I know how that feels you want to take away the pain or discomfort from your child. The next day when the doctor comes in the pain is gone and so is the lump or bulge that he ...more
Stuart
Scott Hahn is one of the greatest converts to Catholicism in modern history. His conversion story Rome Sweet Home alone has led many to the Faith and many more back to the Faith they left. This work alone would be enough to cement his legacy, but he has written a great many other notable works, including The Lamb's Supper and A Father Who Keeps His Promises, to further expound on the faith and teach converts, cradles, and reverts alike. Lately, Dr. Hahn has been publishing high theology works, w ...more
Adam Shields
Short Review: This is a pretty short book. I read it in half of a morning, although there was definitely some skimming. I try to read books outside my Evangelical tradition pretty regularly to learn about other Christians and understand different perspectives on faith. And I have read several other books by Scott Hahn. So I was happy to pick up the book when I was offered it for review. I was expecting something similar to his Signs of Life book which looked at the biblical origins of 40 differe ...more
Lisa
Meet St Augustine who turned to heresy, took a mistress and made her pregnant and rebelled for years before becoming a true Christian. Meet St Thomas Aquinas who developed the theory of natural law, and St Jerome who also led an interesting life. These are just some of the saints whose stories are told in this deeply spiritual and helpful book. One of the most important people who you will meet is the Lady Mary, Jesus's mother, who is the mother of us all.

Scott Hahn shows us what 'the communion
Brenda
Interesting and informative. I admit I was initially drawn to this book because I wanted to read more about Angels, but I honestly finished this book with a greater understanding of saints as well as angels and the role they often play. Written in a down to earth easy to understand manner with catchy chapter titles I found myself learning more than I anticipated while reading this book. The author introduces us to several saints but more than that he provides a glimpse at an unseen world where t ...more
Kristin
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
First, I will say that this book is extremely well-written. The author has obviously done his homework. This is not a book that was written haphazardly. For that, it earns 1 1/2 stars from me.
Second I will say I completely disagree with the theology presented in the book. From the synopsis: "Only saints will live in heaven. We need to be more like the saints if we want to live in heaven someday."
So, if the afterlife consists of hea
Julie Davis
This is a solid, understandable book that explains the concept and theology of angels and saints. The last half of the book contains the stories of specific saints and angels, along with an excerpt from a writing about them (usually from a Church Father). It would definitely be a good book to give to someone wondering about the topic.

Angels and saints have been a special interest of mine since my conversion in 2000 so I've read a lot of books on the subject. Therefore, a lot of the information
Fred Roldan
Este es el primer libro que leo sobre este autor, me puse demasiadas expectativas. Aunque esperaba otro tipo de lectura, el libro en si mismo es muy bueno. La primera parta nos habla sobre la relación de los Santos con la Iglesia en la tierra, para entender con claridad que es una misma Iglesia en el cielo y en la tierra, en la que juntos oramos y alabamos a Dios por las necesidades de la humanidad.

La segunda parte son pequeñas biografias de santos, muchos de los datos, ya los conocía por alguna
Don Weidinger
Assisi what are you, afraid of so as to formulate answers, get past fear to grace, the science of the saints miracles, sainthood is contagious, hell the not choice of God, nothing unclean enters heaven, work of God Opus Dei, confronted Christians of laziness & despair, live as other Christ made to be Saints, heard reached thru actions, Saints saved and saved Saints never give up, grace is new law.
Hope
Meh. Scott Hahn was writing about such inspiring and amazing people, but I found myself quite bored throughout. There are so many other wonderful accounts of these Saints. Ordinarily I find his writing engaging, but this one came up short. The spark just wasn't there. At times there were some truly wonderful insights, so it was still worth reading.
Strubabe
I always learn so much.

I would recommend this book to anyone having questions about their Christian faith. Scott Hahn has such a handle of the subject and although he speaks to the everyman he doesn't dumb down the language and still brings the reader to the truth.
John Prejean
An excellent book that gives us glimpses into the lives of Saints and stories of the angels. This is a great way to explain our faith to others in regards to the saints and angels and a great way to engage someone in conversation about the saints. By reading this book it has made me want to find out more about some of the saints in here such as St. Josemaria Escriva and St. Maximilian Kolbe.
Anne
"To be in God's family: that is the deepest meaning of sainthood, and it's the deepest meaning of salvation. " In part 1 Hahn explains what Catholics believe about saints. In part 2 he introduces some of them. Particular emphasis on our nature to live in relationship and what that means as a family in faith.
Donna
I'll buy extras for gifts. Impressed by the Biblical references. Learned more about angels than I have anywhere else. Hahn explains Communion of Saints. I was impressed with the saints he chose to share details about. Hahn says that for St. Ignatius of Antioch knowing about St. Mary was necessary for proper understanding of Jesus Christ.
Zacaro Caro
This is a really good book, just not what I was looking for, and honestly very vague. It's not a "my life with the saints" or a walk with saint specifically, just a reminder that we are called to be saints and the relationship the church has with Angels and saints.
Nrtashi
This isn't theology of Catholic Church.

The author is, to say it plainly, a complete idiot. Reading of this book was a huge waste of my time.
Brace1737
Scott Hahn is a greater teacher of Catholic customs and beliefs. His books are wriitten for the average person in the pew each Sunday. I always learn something from his books. There is more to Catholic teaching about the angels and saints than I thought.
Marcia
This is much more than just an erudite discussion of angels and saints. Hahn points out Old & New Testament passages that describe the function of the angels and saints. He then gives a brief biography of a few saints, but most importantly he adds a passage from the saints' own writings where possible. Hahn reiterates the Catholic position that we are all together in the struggle for sainthood with those living, those who have died, and those who are in the presence of God.
Liz
An excellent book. The chapters on St. Maximilian Kolbe and St. Josemaria Escriva were very well-written and described these saints in a way I've never read/heard before.
Sarah Romero
Sarah Romero marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Bmc
Bmc marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Lena
Lena is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament
  • Evangelical Catholicism: Deep Reform in the 21st-Century Church
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church
  • Three to Get Married
  • Why Catholicism Matters: How Catholic Virtues Can Reshape Society in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Crucified Rabbi: Judaism and the Origins of Catholic Christianity
  • Style, Sex & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider Things That Really Matter
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • If Protestantism is True
  • The Joy of the Gospel: Evangelii Gaudium
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their fifth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and vi ...more
More about Scott Hahn...
The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture