Start by marking “Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy (Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An eclipse is a rare and unusual event, when the world is transformed and the sky becomes a dark eldritch thing. It's a time when anything could happen, when any kind of story just might be true. That sense of the strange and wonderful guides Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, the second volume in an exciting new annual anthology series edited by acclaimed anthologi ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Night Shade Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 2

Lightreads
Stories Jonathan Strahan likes round two: more scifi, fewer women. I picked through this over several months, so random impressions from stories actually interesting enough to remember:

Ted Chiang, "Exhalation": The reason I picked up the collection, and totally worth it. Classic Chiang, if a bit didactic in that way he can pull off. I won't bother trying to describe it, because it's available here and you should all go read it.

Stephen Baxter, "Turing's Apples." Classic Baxter: interesting Big Id
Hirondelle
Of course I bought it for the Chiang story and read it first. And it´s sublime, as usual, just perfect. Though I am pretty sure I am missing theories about what universe it really describes (chromium sphere?).

Of the rest I am trying to read by order:

The Hero by Karl Schroeder - me shallow but did not get into at the first pages and quit.

Turing´s Apples by Stephen Baxter - oh dear, the future it describes looks more like what the 20th century expected the 21st to look like. Pop singles being top
Liviu

Just a great collection and all that Eclipse 1 promised but did not quite deliver for me - Eclipse 1 had good tales but they ran towards slipstream and fantasy and there it's hit or miss.

Eclipse 2 is solidly sf and has brilliant masterpiece stories from Tony Daniel, Ted Chiang, superb stories from A. Reynolds and David Moles and great stories from S. Baxter, J. Ford, K. Scholes, T. Dowling and P. Cornell with the rest not that interesting for me, but the stories that connected did so big time (
Egil
Ted Chinag's story was awesome. Others were pretty good and a couple of stinkers..
Noah M.
I've read about half of the stories in this anthology, so unless the other half are absolute shit I feel comfortable in rating it.

Ted Chiang, Alastair Reynolds, and Stephen Baxter all have wonderful, interesting stories in there. Especially the Ted Chiang story "Exhalation." God that was amazing.
Carl
Worth it for Peter Beagle's "The Rabbi's Hobby". Also includes Ted Chiang's Hugo-nominated "Exhalation", and many other fine stories. Margo Lanagan's "Night of the Firstlings" could be an excerpt from the Ace double novel "God of Chaos/Thing With Three Souls".
Eric
A pretty decent collection. One or two standouts, several clunkers, mostly stories that were at least "good." Great value, at least, since it was $2.
DebbieB
Excellent. Each story contains an amazing thought experiment.
bluetyson
Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction and Fantasy by Jonathan Strahan (2008)
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
J.W. Alden
J.W. Alden marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Parmacendar
Parmacendar marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Owen Telschow
Owen Telschow marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Richard Reid
Richard Reid marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Timothy Phin
Timothy Phin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Lateniteknitter
Lateniteknitter marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rook McNamara
Rook McNamara marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Phil Hopper
Phil Hopper marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows Engineering Infinity Edge of Infinity Wings of Fire