Start by marking “Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy (Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy #2)

An eclipse is a rare and unusual event, when the world is transformed and the sky becomes a dark eldritch thing. It's a time when anything could happen, when any kind of story just might be true. That sense of the strange and wonderful guides Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, the second volume in an exciting new annual anthology series edited by acclaimed anthologi ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Night Shade Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 2

Lightreads
Stories Jonathan Strahan likes round two: more scifi, fewer women. I picked through this over several months, so random impressions from stories actually interesting enough to remember:

Ted Chiang, "Exhalation": The reason I picked up the collection, and totally worth it. Classic Chiang, if a bit didactic in that way he can pull off. I won't bother trying to describe it, because it's available here and you should all go read it.

Stephen Baxter, "Turing's Apples." Classic Baxter: interesting Big Id
Hirondelle
Apr 25, 2009 Hirondelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-pieces, sf
Of course I bought it for the Chiang story and read it first. And its sublime, as usual, just perfect. Though I am pretty sure I am missing theories about what universe it really describes (chromium sphere?).

Of the rest I am trying to read by order:

The Hero by Karl Schroeder - me shallow but did not get into at the first pages and quit.

Turings Apples by Stephen Baxter - oh dear, the future it describes looks more like what the 20th century expected the 21st to look like. Pop singles being top o
David
Jan 16, 2017 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up during a semi-random library crawl, and it took a while to read.

Not because it was terrible, or dragged, or was somehow laborious. But when reading a good collection of short fiction, you can't just *binge* it. You've got to let the works settle in a bit, each in their own way. Digest them. Really let yourself give each work time to play against your awareness.

A good work of short fiction requires as much of your soul as a novel.

Honestly, I was surprised at the quality of this
Liviu

Just a great collection and all that Eclipse 1 promised but did not quite deliver for me - Eclipse 1 had good tales but they ran towards slipstream and fantasy and there it's hit or miss.

Eclipse 2 is solidly sf and has brilliant masterpiece stories from Tony Daniel, Ted Chiang, superb stories from A. Reynolds and David Moles and great stories from S. Baxter, J. Ford, K. Scholes, T. Dowling and P. Cornell with the rest not that interesting for me, but the stories that connected did so big time (
Noah M.
Feb 05, 2009 Noah M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read about half of the stories in this anthology, so unless the other half are absolute shit I feel comfortable in rating it.

Ted Chiang, Alastair Reynolds, and Stephen Baxter all have wonderful, interesting stories in there. Especially the Ted Chiang story "Exhalation." God that was amazing.
Carl
Apr 14, 2009 Carl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth it for Peter Beagle's "The Rabbi's Hobby". Also includes Ted Chiang's Hugo-nominated "Exhalation", and many other fine stories. Margo Lanagan's "Night of the Firstlings" could be an excerpt from the Ace double novel "God of Chaos/Thing With Three Souls".
Eric
A pretty decent collection. One or two standouts, several clunkers, mostly stories that were at least "good." Great value, at least, since it was $2.
Egil
Mar 08, 2014 Egil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Chinag's story was awesome. Others were pretty good and a couple of stinkers..
DebbieB
Mar 13, 2013 DebbieB rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Excellent. Each story contains an amazing thought experiment.
bluetyson
Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction and Fantasy by Jonathan Strahan (2008)
Peter Tillman
NOTES:
Out last year, NOT READ YET. Hoopla, PA. Borrowed again

Go-to review: first by Lightreads
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Mrmonkeyman
Mrmonkeyman rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
patricia merrill
patricia merrill rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Michael Antoniewicz
Michael Antoniewicz rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Ismael Cervantes
Ismael Cervantes rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
anna genina
anna genina rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Erick
Erick rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Vierblij
Vierblij rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Alex Baxter
Alex Baxter rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Chris W.
Chris W. rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Darron Moore
Darron Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Chris Haggqvist
Chris Haggqvist rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »

Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy (4 books)
  • Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy