Start by marking “Blackfoot Physics: A Journey Into the Native American Universe” as Want to Read:
Blackfoot Physics: A Journey Into the Native American Universe

Blackfoot Physics: A Journey Into the Native American Universe

One summer in the 1980s, theoretical physicist F. David Peat went to a Blackfoot Sun Dance ceremony. Having spent all of his life steeped in and influenced by linear Western science, he was entranced by the Native American worldview and, through dialogue circles between scientists and native elders, he began to explore it in greater depth. Blackfoot Physics is the account ...more
Published December 23rd 2005 by Weiser Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Blackfoot Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackfoot Physics

Alexa Cascade
Explores Native American science and culture, and compares them to Western science and culture. Completely different viewpoint. Everyone should read this book.
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 Tami rated it liked it
When I found this book, as an archaeologist who works primarily with Plains First Nations, I was thrilled that someone had written an in-depth book about the worldview of the Blackfoot. Through my own experiences, I have gained some outsider insight into the wealth of Blackfoot culture and was eager to learn more.

Unfortunately, the title Blackfoot Physics is a misnomer. Though the author describes his experiences while waiting for the Sun Dance to begin in the first few chapters, most of the bo
Jeff
Jan 30, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This book came recommended by a Aboriginal man to anyone that was raised in a western society with an interest in the ways and worldviews of indigenous peoples. The author does a really good job breaking down the fundamental differences in the way humans interact with the their environment and society, while acknowledging that indigenous and western sciences will never be able to completely explain or fully understand one another. A very enlightening and highly recommended book. Hard to find ...more
Katie Lynn
Jan 01, 2015 Katie Lynn rated it it was ok
There were a number of editing errors; enough that it was distracting.

I appreciate what the author was trying to do, but I got a little tired of him TELLING me what he was trying to facilitate for his readers other than just getting down and doing it.

While I wouldn't recommend it necessarily, there were definitely some great nuggets in these pages.

Also, not sure why it's called BLACKFOOT physics considering it was about many, many indigenous and aboriginal nations and tribes.
Eddie Oakwell
Nov 15, 2013 Eddie Oakwell rated it it was amazing
For anyone who is open minded enough to put aside the western religious or scientific view of the world we live in. This is a must A must read book. I would say its native American (an inadequate term as they don't see themselves as one people) rather than just Blackfoot, it compares the beliefs of western science and culture to it own, but it mainly helps give you a completely different viewpoint, not so much carving a canoe but finding it in the tree.
Chris Perley
Jan 02, 2016 Chris Perley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time. This book rocked my world when I first read it. It's contextually better this time. It has more meaning for me because I've had more experiences that align with what Peat is saying: a challenge to how we see the world. Since I read it way back in the 90s I've come across a range of writers that question our 'ways of seeing' - Berger, Scott. Even resonates with Aristotle's ideas of 'knowing' and practical wisdom (phronesis).
Ajai Narendran
After Tao of Physics, Dancing Wu Li Masters and a whole lot in that series....here comes a beautiful attempt at understanding and elucidating Native American cosmology.
Nanci
May 04, 2015 Nanci rated it liked it
I re-read this book this year and was surprised it didn't delve quite as much into Native American viewpoints as I'd previously thought. Still, an interesting read.
ANTONIA OSIFE
ANTONIA OSIFE rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Xochipala Valdez
Xochipala Valdez rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2010
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Bob Tuggle
Bob Tuggle rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2009
Leigh
Leigh rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Louise Chambers
Louise Chambers rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Kim Murphy
Kim Murphy rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Robynn Kaiser
Robynn Kaiser rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Asad Malik
Asad Malik rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Günter Soydanbay
Günter Soydanbay rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Lynn Wilson
Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2008
Marjorie
Aug 15, 2009 Marjorie rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
So far this is an awesome book!!
Elizabeth Walpole
Elizabeth Walpole rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Rasheed
Rasheed rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
  • The Way of the Eagle: An Early California Journey of Awakening
  • Synchronicity: Science, Myth, and the Trickster
  • The Whisper of Your Soul
  • Linguistic Semantics: An Introduction
  • Unsettling the Settler Within: Indian Residential Schools, Truth Telling, and Reconciliation in Canada
  • Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Even the Sun Will Die: An Interview with Eckhart Tolle
  • Your Brain Is God
  • Earth Medicine: Ancestor's Ways of Harmony for Many Moons
  • Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • Manitous: The Spiritual World Of The Ojibway
He has worked actively as a theoretical physicist in England and Canada.

But Peat's interests expanded to include psychology, particularly that of Carl Jung, art and general aspects of culture, including that of Native America. Peat is the author of many books including a biography of David Bohm, with whom Peat collaborated, books on quantum theory and chaos theory, as well as a study of Synchroni
More about F. David Peat...