Start by marking “The Talismans Of Shannara. Book 4 The Heritage Of Shannara” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Talismans Of Shann...

Terry Brooks

The Talismans Of Shannara. Book 4 The Heritage Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  33,044 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Although some of the goals to keep Shannara safe had been met, the work of Walker Boh, Wren, and Par was not yet done. For The Shadowen still swarmed over the Four Lands, poisoning all with their dark magic. Each Shannaran had a special death waiting for him- at the hands of The Shadowen-unless Par could find a way to free them all with the Sword of Shannara.
Published (first published 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about The Talismans Of Shannara. Book 4 The Heritage Of Shannara

Danae
Apr 08, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This last book in The Heritage of Shannara sub-series started out very strong. It answered questions, had intrigue and mystery, and even had a few edge-of-my-seat intense scenes. However, the ending fell a little flat for me. The big fight scene felt almost too easy. I feel ridiculous saying that when I don't see any other way the author could have resolved it, but it's how it felt. Everything wrapped up a little too quick and clean after four books of anticipating this major fight.

I can't say m
MC
Feb 01, 2014 MC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Talismans of Shannara, by Terry Brooks, is the fourth and final book in The Heritage of Shannara quartet of novels. All of the threads of the previous three novels are now coming to fruition, as the Elves lead by Wren Ohmsford Elessedil, the Druids resurrected by Walker Boh, and the Sword of Shannara, found by Par Ohmsford, are all converging on a final battle with the Shadowen-controlled Federation.

Of course, this is not even the most critical factor in the heroes' success. That distinction
Ricky
At this point, I think I might be done with the Shannara books. Not the MTV series, not by a long shot - and certainly not after that cliffhanger! But as for the books, I think I either need to give up now or just take a long break, because they're burning me out at this point. I feel like they're just too more-of-the-same, and they're really not bringing anything new to the table, not like the ways the show gets a little more inventive and incorporates the post-apocalyptic setting much more str ...more
Squire
Feb 14, 2016 Squire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#17/29 in my Epic Shannara Quest.

A slam-bang conclusion to an epic series. Exciting action, expertly paced with a finale in the bowels of the obsidian tower Southwatch that exceeded all of my expectations. The final reveal Brooks saved for this final volume of The Heritage of Shannara was not a surprise (if you drop enough clues, the reader will figure it out; and that's what happens here) but it didn't matter. A definite pick-me-up after the lackluster Elf Queen of Shannara.
Snowfire
Sep 14, 2007 Snowfire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit I liked this book when I first read it, but I was young and foolish at the time. This book does NOT hold up on re-reading.

The promising parts aren't major players, alas. Wren becomes an idiot and barely has any screen time. Walker is still basically cool (at least in the first half of the book), but then gets infected with terminal stupidity in the ending ("I'm in such a damn hurry to rest I can't stop at the victory feast?"), not to mention abandoning the "Rargh I hate druids and t
Jeremiah Johnson
This is one of the most disappointing anti-climactic ends to a series that I've ever read.
About 3/4 of the way through the book, I still had no idea why anyone was doing what they were doing. There was no purpose to any of it.
There was far too many people getting captured and released, then captured and released again throughout this series. It got old in the first book and was more irritating in this one.
And the ending... what the hell. Let's not tie anything together really, we'll just expla
Joey Reed
Sep 15, 2012 Joey Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I should have added a reminder to all of the other Shannara reviews I've written the fact that these books are written for young people. When I originally read these books, they were astounding. But now they seem a bit hollow. Upon rereading the Talismans of Shannara, I've discovered that the depth is not nearly what I remember.

Nonetheless, a lesson is awaiting those who are willing to read it. And the characters come to the natural conclusion of the quadrilogy, although not necessarily the one
adam
Mar 13, 2011 adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read this when I was 13 or 14 years old... it was pure escapism, especially for an awkward teen who could not interact with the world very well. I was very drawn to the characters which I immediately connected with... The emotional investment that the plot required of the reader gave one amazing highs and lows and drew you further into the adventure... What a great and imaginative writer, thanks Terry Brooks...
Elar
Oct 23, 2015 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Quality of book little bit dimished for me in last volume of series. Looks like it was one person seeking an other person and then again other and then final battle and that's it. No big twists for finale.
Susan Yanka
Nov 01, 2016 Susan Yanka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story continues!

Rereading the entire collection in chronological order, along with the short stories..I've read all the books as they were published....this has been just as entertaining seeing the world history unfold. thanks Mr Brooks from a lifelong fan.
rami
Nov 28, 2016 rami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

Wicked awesome. Definitely worth the read. Can't wait to see what else Mr brooks has coming. The magic lives in you
Christine Jones
The final book in the Heritage of Shannara series, this one is a wrap up of the others. I enjoyed it but it isn't my favorite book of the series. This one is good if you like adventure fantasy.
Adam Mccaulley
A nice ending to the 2nd series of Shannara
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Gli Elfi sono tornati alle Quattro Terre. Paranor è tornata nel mondo dei mortali. Walker Boh ha ereditato i poteri di Allanon  ed ora è l'utimo dei  Druidi . La Spada di Shannara è stata ritrovata. Ma restano gli Ombrati. Coll Ohmsford è vivo e apprende che la Spada è destinata proprio a lui, ecco perché Par non potrà mai usarla. Intanto, Rimmer Dall e i suoi ombrati stanno sfruttando il loro esercito della Federazione per spazzar via gli Elfi dopo il loro ritorno alle Quattro Terre. Ma mentre
Chris
Feb 20, 2017 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Story wrapped up and loose ends tied, though the ending was a little weak. I was also disappointed in plot twists that served no purpose.

Such as,
(view spoiler)
Sakura87
Il quarto e ultimo libro della seconda saga di Shannara.
Il compimento, il momento in cui tutti i tasselli si incastrano perfettamente al loro posto come un puzzle finalmente riuscito.
Mi fa sempre uno strano effetto leggere la conclusione di una saga; penso che sia principalmente perché se un lettore trova la pazienza di leggere quattro libri, vuol dire che qualcosa quella saga gli ha comunicato. E se l’ultimo libro, per un motivo o per un altro, arriva dopo anni, leggerlo è un’emozione unica: è
Aidan Roraback
Oct 31, 2016 Aidan Roraback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes fantasy
Recommended to Aidan by: Dad
Athimar
Aug 12, 2016 Athimar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, Death does not ride a pale horse. According to Mr. Brooks, he rides a giant lizard. They're much scarier, as Walker Boh discovers in The Talismans of Shannara.

I've been able to finish my re-read of the Heritage of Shannara with this last novel in the series, and I must say that I'm happy with the decision I made to take on the task.

As with the other novels, Walker's part was my favorite - Rimmer Dall's decision to send four shadowen in the guise of the Four Horsemen, ancient mytholog
Gordon Gammell
Oct 21, 2013 Gordon Gammell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was in a collection of 4 titled "The Heritage of Shannara". I read the first two. "The Scions of Shannara" and "The Druid of Shannara". The stories are slow moving. The action, which is mainly traveling over bad terrain and being chased by mostly invisible bad guys is little and far between. If you like a page of story progression, then a page of travel notes and then a page or two of characters analyzing why they feel about the other characters and why they are even doing what they ar ...more
Ernie Jr.
Aug 04, 2009 Ernie Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jasmyn
Nov 11, 2015 Jasmyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it seems like everything got wrapped up - but man did it happen in one big epic crazy scene - or two. The war between Shadowen and the heirs of Shannara is being fought on two (sort of three) fronts. Are you confused yet? There is a ton going on here - and I mean a ton!!! While very exciting and full of action - it might have been nice if it was a little more spread out. We jump from strategy and hiking across the land to super fast paced action battle scene.

While this is probably very re
Dark-Draco
Sep 06, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in this series and fantastic in every way.

Walker Boh has brought back the Druid keep, but finds he has a high price to pay. Can he use his new found knowledge and wisdom to defeat the Four Horseman who have laid seige to the castle?

Wren Elessidil, newly Queen of the Elves, has also done what she set out to do, but now faces overwhelming odds as the Federation army sweeps down on them.

Par and Coll Ohmsford have to find each other, face the truths of what they are, but Rimmer
Brian Schiebout
May 10, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Talismans of Shannara by Terry Brooks is the fourth book in the Heritage of Shannara series set in the Shannara universe. This book concludes the series and so answers many of the questions which the other books opened up. While all of the main characters from the series have a role to play in this book, the focus is on the two Ohmsford brothers, Par and Coll. They are on a quest to find any magical device as Par already has the sword but instead to discover who they are and what they can do ...more
Alisha
Aug 24, 2016 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great wrap up to the Heritage series!

Read by Rene Auberjonois, awesomely (of course).

All the little seeds planted along the way pay off royally in this book. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been if Wren played a part in the final battle.

Great tension and conflict. I particularly love how talismans we are familiar with from the prior books are given new interpretations. Continued great treatment of the villain. Love that the women are battle-worn, showing sup
Mark Austin
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Monique
Oct 25, 2013 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel did a really good job of tying up all the plot lines from the Heritage of Shannara series. I was terrified that the ending was going to be a remake of the Sword of Shannara ending but it took a different, unexpected ending. The characterization in the novel was okay, in some parts I felt that the characters feelings and inner conflicts was explained too much. Yes, we get the point - Par is unsure about his magic and just wants an answer as to why he is as he is. I also felt that there ...more
Ravi
Mar 27, 2012 Ravi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin
Apr 28, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not a bad series. I enjoyed it for the most part but by this time the stories are getting a little stale. However, I am still continuing in my quest to read (listen on audiobook) to all of them. Still have quite a few to go. My biggest complaint with the Hetritage of Shannara series was the over and over explanation of things that were made clear in the first couple of books. Sometimes it just felt like padding to ensure a high page count. Oh and Parr was a bit too whiny. Okay very whiny, but no ...more
Mark
Jul 18, 2008 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really would have given the end of the Heritage of Shannara series 4 stars, but Brooks screwing up Walker's character at the end and having NUMEROUS times where two hands are being used when he definitely only has one was just poor editing. It was clear that the ending was written before several of the events of the series, that, or the editing was so slipshod that a 10 year old could have done better. (I remember being bothered by this on my first reading as a kid as well).

Other than a few fl
Luca Mollo
Jul 12, 2014 Luca Mollo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo libro rappresenta il termine del secondo ciclo di Shannara, riunifica le avventure e le strade dei tre eredi e li conduce alla conclusione di questa saga.
Rispetto ai precedenti, è un po' ripetitivo negli eventi, (view spoiler) e a circa l'80-85% del libro ancora non si è in dirittura di arrivo, con la fine che si risolve in due capitoli netti.

Per quanto rigu
Goodreads Librari...: Publish Date Missing [The Talismans Of Shannara] 2 18 Mar 25, 2013 12:26PM
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Heritage of Shannara (4 books)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)

“And memories, he knew, were not glass treasures to be kept locked within a box. They were bright ribbons to be hung in the wind.” 9 likes
“Believe for long enough and it will come to pass. Believe it might be so, and it will be so.” 1 likes