Start by marking “Offside (Offside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Offside (Offside, #1)

Offside (Offside #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Adam Dumas is Major League Soccer’s only openly gay player. When he is transferred to St. Louis, his new teammates don’t exactly roll out the welcome mat. It doesn’t help that Adam sees “the Gateway to the West” as a step down from his high-profile position in LA—an attitude Adam has no problem sharing with his new housemate and fellow center forward, Colin Evets.

Colin is
Published April 27th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Offside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Offside

Jenre
Why I bought the book: Two reasons. Firstly I had no O books in my TBR pile for my A-Z Challenge, and secondly, I'd read a really great short story, Off the Page, by this author so when I saw that she'd written this O book, then it seemed a good reason to buy.

Plot: The story is set in the world of football (or soccer to those across the pond who felt they had to change the perfectly legitimate name of a sport because it clashed with their own American football) where our rather big-headed hero,
Nic
A really enjoyable story with great characters who drew me into the story. There is great contrast between the two men which made their relationship interesting to watch.

I was drawn to the character of Adam, not necessarily liking him at first, but sympathetic to his situation. Openly gay and a talented and experienced soccer player, he is unhappy with a team transfer. He moves to St Louis with only one plan, finish his contract and get out. He is pissed off and angry at the way he has been trea
Vio
Sep 29, 2011 Vio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cute, sweet
Adam and Colin they are so cute together, the sex is minimal but boy is their first sexual encounter together an experience, I could not stop laughing it was certainly memorable. The rest of the team were engaging and fun especially the locker room scenes and the play on the field. I thoroughly enjoyed this!
SheReadsALot
Wow.

This story at first was a little slow but it didn't take too long to heat up. Now M/M smut lovers beware this book is not saturated by endless sex scenes but actually this story does offer a great story of being 'out' in professional sports, the adversity that an out player is faced with, etc.

Adam, the MLS league's first out soccer player is traded and comes to St. Louis with a chip on his shoulder and seems jaded. And when we meet Colin, his love interest, I wondered, "Is he gay or not?"

I t
Elisa Rolle
For an Italian reader, Offside is a bit of a fantasy tale for two main reasons: first of all, soccer players in Italy are like heroes, and like that they are high-paid professionals with a huge following and in no way a favourite of the team could be easily exchanged, like a pawn of a bigger game; second, homosexuality is still a taboo, no one will admit there are gay soccer players in the Italian league and in no way a soccer player could come out without losing his team and everything else.

Sa
Bitchie *Bored Now*
Kind of slow getting started. This book had way more soccer lingo than I expected, details about the game, and about contracts and getting traded. I know for some people that works, but for me, I was just bored.

At first, I wasn't even sure if I was going to like Adam. He seemed like a jerk, a bit of a spoiled brat. But I did grow to really enjoy him, and especially Colin.

I was ticked when the first sex scene was fade to black, then the next one was more detailed, and one of the guys fainted!

Dec
Mandy*reads obsessively*
@dreamspinners: FOR ONE HOUR ONLY (5:30-6:30 GMT) Offside by @ryanloveless is available for free download! http://t.co/sAIZFhYL #TweetAway
Ami
When Adam Dumas finds out that he is being transferred into St. Louis by his old team the L.A. Galaxy, all he can think of is how to get out from there as soon as possible. Until his eyes capture the form of his new roommate, center forward Colin Evets, and soon Adams struggles to make better impression because he realizes he can fall for the younger player. Except, oh, Colin is not really gay ... isn't he?

I think it is the first story in realm of soccer that I have read. Kudos for that
Deeze
A sweet no frills read.

I loved Colin. He was a sweetheart. Adam took longer for me to warm up too, but he proved himself in the end.

The football (soccer) side to this was kept easy enough and light enough for me not to get bored or lost in.

Overall a light and at times amusing romance.
T.A. Webb
I enjoyed this book, even though I am not a soccer fan. Our hero falls in love with a (maybe) straight teammate, kicks himself, but ends up with his man. Not sure I buy that the team would support this couple, but maybe soccer is different is ways from our other American sports teams, but I think there would be more negative comments from other players on the team.

Who wouldn't love these two guys?

Well written, great research into the world of professional soccer, and good characterizations. Give
Lexi Ander
This has the best game play that I have read in a while. There are a lot of team players to remember at the beginning but once the story got going I didn't worry so much about remembering who was who. Yes, yes I enjoyed the romance and tension as well. I was sure that Adam was going to well and truly blow his chances with Colin. The balance between the romance and the game was perfect for me. :-) I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more by Mr. Loveless.
Smith Barney
VIVA La Barca. Be still my heart...my sport.

Ryan Loveless has such a natural flow of words...the experience is reminiscent of biting into a mouth-watering BLT..each bursting-quench of flavor reminds you of why it's a favorite. This was too short & Colin I found too naive for my taste, but Adam Dumas was a keeper.
Jen
This book is probably closer to 2.5 stars, but I'll round up to be generous.

Adam is your stereotypical arrogant jock... only, gay. The only out player in the MLS, in fact. Colin is your typical boy-next-door innocent type from Montana who lives only to play soccer. What do you get when you put them together?

Apparently, sex so good it makes you faint. *snicker*

No, in all seriousness, I enjoyed this book. It's a bit silly in places (see the fainting-during-sex comment above), and Adam is kind of
Shannon
It's a book about soccer with a love story thrown in while I was hoping it'd be the other way around. The progression of their relationship kind of threw me. A bit hot and cold. Like they were nothing then all of a sudden they're everything. And my biggest and loudest complaint is we had a virgin here and his first sexual encounter with the love of his life was OFF PAGE! Are you kidding me here??? Not all the sex was off page but THAT'S the one scene that doesn't make the cut? wtf? We did get to ...more
Stephen
Adam Dumas is a standout soccer player for the L.A. Galaxy and a bit of a problem child. He's openly gay and though having been groomed since adolescence by the team's president, business is business in professional sports and Adam finds himself transferred mid season to St. Louis.

When Adam meets Colin Evets, a young but eager player from Montana, Adam misconstrues Midwestern charm and youthful exuberance for interest and quickly finds himself on the verge of ruining a budding friendship and bo
Yvonne
I read this a few weeks ago & just hadn't rated it as yet. I liked the sports aspects of the story & the fact that this was my first m/m soccer book made this at least unique & interesting. It starts off with Adam Dumas getting dumped by his old team (L.A. Galaxy) & being sent to St. Louis, a fact he is none too happy about. The author tries to play this up as Adam going from big town to small (backwards?) town, which doesn't exactly fit my impression of St. Louis but whatever. S ...more
Firenz
Rating 3.25

Adam is a brash take no nonsense kind of guy. He loves his job playing soccer and loves his team he grew up playing with. An unexpected transfers throws his life upside down. It is unsure why since he was one of the teams top scorer (view spoiler)

Adam must now go to a new team mid season. Here he meats Colin and he does not hold back on the fact that this is a pit stop to better things.

Adam immediately feels an a
Nichole (Dirty H)
I struggled to rate this - I actually realy liked this and was tempted to give it 4 stars, but I decided to round down. Mostly because I thought the relationship was rushed - it was like once Colin realized he really was gay and decided to go on a real date with Adam, all of a sudden they were boyfriends/partners for life? There was no build up. I also felt like it ended rather abruptly - I still feel like I'm going to go home from work today and finish it and then I remember 'oh yeah, I already ...more
Kendra
I love sports themed books and this was a great one. I loved how the team and most people in the sport of Soccer were OK with homosexuality. Great goal to strive for in real life for sure. I really liked the character of Colin and his internal struggles. Adam was a great character to actually watch mature and develop personally outside of the world of soccer. The "falling in love" did seem to happen very fast to me--Adam was a major player but then all of a sudden he wants to date Colin. Perhaps ...more
Feliz
It's more than three but less than four.
The writing was smooth, the soccer background - as far as I can tell - accurately depicted and well - researched. I found Adam aptly characterized with his arrogance and initial purely self-centered ways.
But the romance simply didn't work for me overall, even though there were some nice moments, like Adam and Colin's first kiss. I couldn't see why Adam was attracted to Colin, and Colin's utter worldly innocence asked a lot in ways of suspension of disbel
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Stephen
Genre: M/M Sports
3 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...

Review: Adam Dumas is a standout soccer player for the L.A. Galaxy and a bit of a problem child. He's openly gay and through having been groomed since adolescence by the team's president, business is business in professional sports and Adam finds himself transferred mid season to St. Louis.

When Adam meets Colin Evets, a young but eager player from Montana, Ad
Fairy / Anna
Soccer!!! Something for me :D

The story itself was nice. I liked it. But I have an impression that Mrs Loveless had more ideas than time and possibilities. Book seems to be rather chaotic, in some places even raw and unfinished. And I have to agree with most readers, the relationship between MC's is rushed. Maybe it's not the author fault, the book was just too short. If it was only twice as long ;)
Unbelievable, but cute.

Veronica /  V
This story is a must for any soccer fan, I'm afraid I'm not.
Overall the story was lovely, Adam did some things that I'm not sure were expected for a 28 year old guy, maybe it is nothing to do with age and to do with stupidity.

Never mind I still enjoyed it.
Trisha Harrington
This was just a really nice story. The coming out aspect was nice and the couple were just so adorable together. A few times I lost slight interest but I was glad in the end I finished and would gladly give this book 4/5 :)
leigh

This one really worked for me. Adam is an entertaining viewpoint character: confident, frequently insensitive and clueless, unapologetically sexual. Colin, the virgin, had tricks up his own “innocent” sleeve and was stronger and more complex than he appeared on the surface. I enjoy the “is he or isn’t he” tease as long as it’s not too drawn out and it was handled perfectly here. It was apparent early on that Colin was very interested in Adam, so to me, their eventual coming together did not feel
Chris
4 out of 5 Stars

Colin is Adam’s only friend on the team, but when Adam misinterprets Colin’s Midwestern charm for something more, he
Bee
I’m not even sure why I picked this book. I’m so not a sports fan and football (I refuse to call it soccer) is one of the sports I find most tedious…at least to watch. However the blurb really pulled me in, and surprisingly I actually liked this story a lot.

Adam Dumas is a professional European Football player in a LA team. Given that the sport is so neglected in the country Adam is one of the few stars of the game. Sure, part of it is because he’s a good player, but mostly it’s because he came
Cooper West
I really enjoyed this book; it is high-quality writing featuring great characters and a solid plot. People who aren't familiar with soccer should not be put off reading the book because of that, since Ryan artfully weaves descriptions and explanations of the sport (and the sporting league in the U.S.) into the story.

This is definitely a romance novel, centering on the love-at-first-sight of not-quite-superstar player and out gay man Adam Dumas for his new teammate, Colin Evets. The drama around
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4 Stars

Adam Dumas is a striker for the Galaxy – and like most top sportsmen he has a certain amount of swagger, to the point where, after the first chapter, I really didn’t like him. At all. Having been signed as a 15 year old, he has virtually grown up at the Galaxy. The coach, who has been like a father figure, shows that business is business, when Adam is unceremoniously transferred after 13 years at the club. And sport really is a business these days. Adam acts like a spoiled brat – not only
Romance Readers R...: April M/M Buddy Read- Offside 64 70 Apr 22, 2013 04:35PM
  • Out in the Field
  • Power Play
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Wrestling with Desire (Wrestling #1)
  • Match Maker
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • Prize Package
  • The Locker Room
  • Rocking the Boat (CalPac Crew, #1)
  • Superhero
  • Cup Check (Blue Line Hockey, #3)
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • Steamroller
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Heart in Hand
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Quarterback Sneak
  • American Love Songs
Ethan, Who Loved Carter Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero In Me an Invincible Summer Last Chance Charlie Pop Life