Start by marking “Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching” as Want to Read:
Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching

Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching

Book annotation not available for this title.
Paperback
Published October 26th 2004 by Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about Writing Essentials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Essentials

Dawn
Aug 17, 2007 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I love Regie Routman, especially her ideas about teaching writing! After a professional book study with this text, I was a follower. I'm so glad my district values her ideas.
Adrienne
Apr 10, 2008 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: broccoli-books
While I am a believer in all things Regie Routman, I had a difficult time with the organization of this book. Her ideas flew off the pages but weren't arranged in a reader-friendly way. I found myself loving things she said but wasn't always able to quickly find them for deeper consideration. That being said, her thoughts on how to talk to children about their writing is perfect. She has that 'real' quality about her conversation that isn't contrived and artificial. She is an inspiration to the ...more
Melissa
Oct 06, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it
An enthusiastic approach to teaching writing in elementary schools. She makes strong emotional appeals to teaching writing well instead of teaching to tests (which is actually more insightful than I've made it sound), and the included DVD and lesson plans in the appendices provide practical examples of the theory she includes. An excellent primer on elementary writing pedagogy.
Hillary
Dec 26, 2007 Hillary rated it it was amazing
I really love her approach to teaching writing in the classroom. I have tried to emulate her style with my students. I still have some kinks to work on, but overall we had a very successful poetry unit.
Sheila
Aug 16, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing

Great resource! I was inspired to write free verse poetry with my third graders and their poems were amazing!
Kristin
Feb 24, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it
LOVE THIS BOOK! So many AH HA momments.....I love teaching kids, encouraging them to write what's in their hearts and minds!!!
Karen
Jul 24, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all elementary educators
This is a wonderful resource for anyone attempting to launch writer's workshop in an elementary classroom.
Ashley Fisher
Jul 13, 2016 Ashley Fisher rated it really liked it
Regie Routman provides many practical and useful ways to teach writing in the classroom. She provides methods for students to "write to learn" rather than "learn to write." A great read!
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I just re-read this book. It is a great resource for teaching writing and reminders of sticking to your teaching practices and beliefs.
Alison
Jul 04, 2012 Alison rated it liked it

Good information, but a really hard slog. I already use quite a bit of this ( if not all) in my classroom.
Gill
Jul 08, 2015 Gill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Wow! This book is an easy and fantastic read! We used this in a professional book study this year, and it has changed the way we look at teaching writing. Awesome resource!
Sarahhk
Sarahhk rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2008
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Rosie Amstutz
Rosie Amstutz rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Tiffblon
Tiffblon rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2011
Bkrieth
Bkrieth rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Sj Rimbletay
Sj Rimbletay rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Blake
Blake rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2014
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Krystal
Krystal rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2009
Agnes
Agnes rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2009
Shanna
Shanna rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2010
Dennis Graham
Dennis Graham rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Caithlin
Caithlin rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • Craft Lessons
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Mentor Texts: Teaching Writing Through Children's Literature, K-6
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Subjects Matter
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • On Solid Ground: Strategies for Teaching Reading K-3
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers