Start by marking “Diabetes for Dummies, Mini Edition” as Want to Read:
Diabetes for Dummies, Mini Edition

Diabetes for Dummies, Mini Edition (For Dummies)

Treat diabetes successfully and lead a full life Want to know how to manage diabetes? You'll learn about all the advances in monitoring glucose, the latest medications, and how to develop a diet and exercise plan to stay healthy. And if you need to use insulin, this book explains your options.

Open the book and find:

Ways to reduce your diabetes risk

Explanations of the diffe
Published December 8th 2010 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Diabetes for Dummies, Mini Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diabetes for Dummies, Mini Edition

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This is one of the better books I have read since getting my shock news that I am now a Type II Diabetic. I went on a book binge and got myself a fair number of books from Amazon and some of them I just wish that I didn't. Many books were over complicated for the average person trying to understand this complex and life threatening condition not to mention how many of them contradict each other in relation to what you can/can't eat on a diabetes friendly diet. Have some carbs, you need carbs, ea ...more
Iona  Stewart
This is the second worst book on diabetes I've read. (I see that the worst book has got good reviews on amazon.com, and is not available on amazon.co.uk. I myself have reviewed it on Facebook.)

After much consideration I've given the book presently under review two stars (at first I wanted to give it only one). It gets the two stars for the vast amount of medical information given, though as it is written by two traditional doctors, this is traditional information, much of it in my view erroneous
Kimberlee
Jan 11, 2013 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband was diagnosed about a month and a half ago. I was aware of a family history of diabetes, but I did not realize that this disease would visit us this young (we are in our mid-40s). This book was an excellent introduction to all things diabetes. The author's humor at times gets old, but if the reader can overlook that, it's a worthy read, especially for those impacted by diabetes. I bought another copy to share with one of my relatives who has diabetes. I was able to share with my child ...more
Rich
Jul 29, 2009 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I read because I wanted to, but because I needed to. Found out I was pre-diabetic and hadn't a clue what any of that meant. The information in the book was accessible, at a level I could understand without needing prior knowledge, and helped give me some idea of what next steps I should look into taking.
A great launching point if you or someone you know wants an introduction to diabetes.
Mike
Aug 25, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome up to date reference if you have diabetes - or even if you don't. With the huge increase in diabetes cases. Around the world, you can prevent or slow down systems in your self or understand what's going on when a loved one or friend is diagnosed. Reading this book helped me so much!
Malia
Jan 05, 2014 Malia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great tips of all kinds in this book. As just one example, this was the first place I've seen an explanation for how soon to exercise after eating (for blood sugar)! A must read for diabetics and pre-diabetics!
Angel
I don't really know if this is a good book or not. As a person whom does not know a thing about diabetes I can say that it brought light to me. I think it gives basic knowledge, good enough to start taking care of myself.
Julie
Dec 08, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I knew everything in it. It is the same stuff rehashed over and over again. I would have been better off just sticking with Google.
Helen Ingram
Feb 25, 2014 Helen Ingram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice introduction to diabetes. Not a book to read page by page. It has pin pointers for the newly diagnosed person to take note.
TailFeather
Aug 27, 2012 TailFeather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-drivel
I agree with Iona. If we followed this book, my husband would be in the ER with high sugar glucose.
Jeff
Feb 16, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Diabetes has been around for a long time and was known to those in the Greek and Roman worlds. The Latin name for the disease is diabetes mellitus. Diabetes comes from the Greek word for siphon, referring to the way that liquid gets quickly siphoned through your body when you suffer from high sugar levels (the excess sugar causes the kidneys to quickly expel the water through the urine, as it tries to reduce the sugar levels in your blood). Mellitus is the Latin word for sweet. In the ancient wo ...more
Rox
Jan 07, 2017 Rox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too technical at times. often difficult to follow.
Tracy West
So far it seems that parts are okay and parts may be/are outdated (it's 12 years old). I'm not diabetic, but I read all sorts of health books. It's good to get you started I guess, but I definitely recommend talking to your health care provider and seeking an up to date reference.
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This review is for the 4th edition (Published 2012). I think this is a GREAT book for someone newly diagnosed with diabetes and/or their clueless family members. This is a summary in plain language for you to understand the ins and outs of your illness and what you can do about it. It is not the be all and end all. I like the organization of the book - you can go to what interests you immediately and if you ever get around to the other sections, great. If not, there is an appendix in the back th ...more
Mark Warren
Insufficient

Insufficient

The information in this book is problematic: the information may be outdated although I can't be certain of that; but I found the information to be inadequate. The difference between Type I and Type II diabetes leaves a lot of muddy or grey area. The information is better than nothing but I would consult a variety of sources for more information. A dietician may lean towards a more food related instruction; a physician may focus more on pills and insulin instruction -- pr
Manuel Crespo-Rodríguez
If you don't know anything about diabetes, this is a good way to start. Although I don't like the first chapter (ir supposes that all people believe they are eternal and need to cope with the reality of not living forever... while in fact I'm not an egocentric religious individual that believes to be immortal and don't care to die of whatever reason). This is mostly the basics, everything that your medic will tell you over time.

All in all, the book says that diabetes is kinda bad, but if you fol
Llothil
It was probably an informative book that is the best for someone who is not personally diagnosed with diabetes and knows nothing about it. If you have been diagnosed with it I think that it lacks a bunch of information and isn't particularly reliably up to date with the most recent medical opinions regarding such illnesses, but that being said if you know someone or have a family member that has recently been diagnosed and need to get to know the basics about it then this is the book for you.
Lynne Blair
Dec 25, 2015 Lynne Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much information out there about diabetes that it is sometimes difficult to what applies to you and what doesn't. This book breaks everything down into usable, easy to understand information. I highly recommend it to anybody who is newly diagnosed.
Bradley
Jul 07, 2012 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick and handy reference book forr people who have been diagnosed with Type 1or 2 diabetes. I found it really helpful because it answered several questions I had wondered about after meeting with a dietician.
Parsons Parsons
May 21, 2013 Parsons Parsons rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This book gives the reader the basics on this condition. The information is understandable. It does concisely debunk medical myths about diabetes treatment. I wish the book would do the exercising for me.
Jim
Jan 31, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I learned a few things from this book, but not a lot. My father is a type 2 diabetic, so I had already learned much of the content, from his experience. It is probably a good book for someone with no previous knowledge of diabetes.
Doc Kinne
As with all Dummies books this was a good introduction to the topic. It was broad and complete. I think my own issue is that the drug overview chapters caused me to get a big glassy-eyed.
Braden
Sep 15, 2009 Braden marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book because i didnt know anything about diabetes now i do.it shows how important diabetes is. It gives you good ways on how to moniter your diabetes.
Leslie Powell
Leslie Powell rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Kip
Kip rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Erik Chell
Erik Chell rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Phillip R Jones
Phillip R Jones rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2017
M.T
M.T rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
william c. owens
william c. owens rated it it was ok
May 10, 2016
Andrea Fariello
Andrea Fariello rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
http://www.supplementadvise.com/diabazole/ 1 1 Dec 30, 2016 08:45PM
  • Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You about Diabetes
  • The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • American Diabetes Association Complete Guide to Diabetes
  • Dr. Neal Barnard's Book for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
  • Backyard Guide to the Night Sky
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin (Marlowe Diabetes Library)
  • Conspiracy Theories & Secret Societies for Dummies
  • Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It
  • The World's Last Mysteries
  • Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang
  • Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science
  • Criminology For Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Philosophy
  • Bigfoot!: The True Story of Apes in America
  • The Bedside Baccalaureate: A Handy Daily Cerebral Primer to Fill in the Gaps, Refresh Your Knowledge & Impress Yourself & Other Intellectuals
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • The Perfect 10 Diet
  • The Simpsons Beyond Forever!: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family...Still Continued

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Bartending For Dummies
  • Biochemistry for Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Blogging for Dummies

“os griegos y los romanos conocían la diabetes. Para determinar si
alguien tenía el padecimiento —prepárense para esto— probaban la
orina. Fue así como los romanos descubrieron que la orina de algunas
personas era mellitus, palabra latina que significa dulce.”
0 likes
“Examining Type 2 Diabetes Most people with type 2 diabetes, which used to be known as adult onset diabetes or noninsulin dependent diabetes, are over the age of 40. Your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increase as you get older. Because the symptoms are so mild at first, you may not notice them. You may ignore these symptoms for years before they become bothersome enough to consult your doctor. So type 2 diabetes is a disease of gradual onset rather than the severe emergency that can herald type 1 diabetes. No autoimmunity is involved in type 2 diabetes, so no antibodies are found. Doctors believe that no virus is involved in the onset of type 2 diabetes. Recent statistics show that worldwide, ten times more people have type 2 diabetes than type 1 diabetes. Although type 2 is the much more prevalent type of diabetes, those with type 2 diabetes seem to have milder severity of complications (such as eye disease and kidney disease) from diabetes. Identifying” 0 likes