Start by marking “Talking of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:

Talking of Jane Austen

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Hardback, 210 pages
Published 1943 by Cassell

To ask other readers questions about Talking of Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking of Jane Austen

Sherwood Smith
I don't understand why this book isn't reprinted, at least in ebook form, given how huge the Jane Austen industry has grown.

Whatever. I was delighted to discover this book wherein G. B. Stern, whose delightful books I've only discovered in the last decade (they are very hard to find in Southern California) and Sheila Kaye-Smith, who I have not come across before, talk about their first discovery of Jane Austen, and then go on to discuss the books.

It was more than a hundred years ago that one of
Siria
Jun 04, 2007 Siria rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, litcrit
Part of the spoils of this year's Trinity Second-Hand Book Sale. I got it for only 50c; which, considering that it's hardback and a first edition, makes it rather undervalued, I think. It's a collection of essays about Jane Austen's six main novels, written by Sheila Kaye-Smith and G.B. Stern, who were quite popular novelists in their day.

It was written in 1943, which shows both in references in the text, and in the way they analyse the novels. That it's old-fashioned is not necessarily a bad th
Kirk
Feb 25, 2014 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen
4 Regency Teacups. While extremely dated, 1944, many interesting points. As many said on Goodreads, I certainly disagree with the authors on many points. However, very interesting points. The best part of the book for me was when each author gave a paragraph of their views on characters. For me only, an interesting connection with Sheila Kaye-Smith. My favorite composer, Ralph Vaughan Williams, wrote the music to the film version of her book "Joanna Godden".

"She was far too conscientious an arti
Kelly
Mar 07, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, books
While I certainly disagree with the authors on some things (their analysis of the characters in Mansfield Park is what we disagree on the most), I still really enjoyed reading this book. It was light-hearted and fun for the most part, but also helped me think a bit more seriously about Austen's works. I highly recommend this book!
Sue
Jun 09, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I've just finished a delicious book. t's out of print, copyright 1943 but I was able to get it
thought interlibrary loan. "Talking of Jane Austen" by Shelia
Kaye-Smith and G. B. Stern. Wonderful discussions between them of
everything pertaining to Austen's books - plot, characters, quotes,
language....and more. They are true Austen devotees, and the book
greatly enhanced my Austen reading. As I said, delicious. They disagree
about various things in the books, which makes it shine as they explain
Deborah
Sep 14, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book. Just like talking to someone about Jane Austen's books. What's similar about them, what's different, which characters you like or don't like and why. Two different authors who alternate chapters and don't always agree. Very fun!
Nadine Sutton
May 25, 2016 Nadine Sutton rated it really liked it
A very interesting unpretentious book about 2 people sharing a passion for Jane.
June Schwarz
Apr 22, 2012 June Schwarz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books to go back to when I've reread Jane Austen's novels & wish there were more.
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tabitha Moonshine
Tabitha Moonshine marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
T.E.
T.E. rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Reverenddave
Reverenddave marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Eileen Collins
Eileen Collins marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Alisa Zimmerman
Alisa Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Chloe Bennet
Chloe Bennet marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Erin Vance
Erin Vance marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Susan Dillon
Susan Dillon rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Marnie Wellar
Marnie Wellar marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Erika Schanzenbach
Erika Schanzenbach marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Margo Henderson
Margo Henderson marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
The daughter of a country doctor, Shelia Kaye-Smith was born in St Leonards-on-Sea near Hastings. Her first novel, The Tramping Methodist was published when she was 21. In 1923 her book, The End of the House of Alard became a best-seller and gave her national prominence. She went on to write over 40 books.

Kaye-Smith's early novels were chiefly pre-occupied with rural life in Sussex and Kent. They
More about Sheila Kaye-Smith...