Start by marking “Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham” as Want to Read:
Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham

Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ruth Bell Graham is known as the wife of evangelist Billy Graham. It was Ruth who influenced Billy, as his most trusted life-partner. In Ruth, a Portrait, we meet this fascinating and remarkable woman. Brimming with anecdotes, this is a breathtaking journey, with stops at many of this century's epoch-making events.

The childhood years of the future Mrs. Billy Graham were sp...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Ruth, A Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth, A Portrait

Diana H.
I doubt that many people know this, but one of the best biographies I have ever read was written by Patricia Cornwell. I’m not talking about the book she wrote about Jack the Ripper. The biography I’m excited about was about Ruth Bell Graham.

Graham and Cornwell have been friends for many years. This is evident in the wonderful book that Cornwell has written.

Ruth Bell Graham starts life as a child of missionaries in the Far East. She is sent to boarding school when still quite young and had to le...more
Erin
A biography of Ruth Bell Graham written by crime writer Patricia Cornwell? It was a pairing I couldn't pass up.

Turns out Cornwell grew up in the small NC town where the Grahams lived. She writes about Ruth: I thought she was the loveliest, kindest person ever born. I still do. I thought there must be something special about me, too. Why else would she notice that I played baseball and tennis better than the boys, or wrote poetry and songs and was lonely?"

I think there must be many people in the...more
Melissa
Superb story, although a bit disjointed at times. Very inspirational lady!
Marlene
Somehow this book wound up on my shelf and sat for some time. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago and found myself delighted. I enjoy a book that brings a person to life in such a way I feel I have come to know her. This is the case with Ruth. Ms. Cornwell did a terrific job in revealing Ruth. I enjoyed the book a lot and certainly have a new view on what it must be like to be in the public eye, especially one who brings spiritual concerns to those around her, an easy target for criticism. I am g...more
Evelyn
The life story of Ruth Bell Graham from her early childhood in China with her missionary parents to become the wife of Billy Graham. She always thought she'd be a missionary until she met Billy. In many ways this was more challenging than being a missionary because Billy was gone so much and she had 5 children to raise. A beautiful example of Christian womanhood.
Denise
I loved this book! I know, as a Christian, I should emulate Christ but to be a little more like Ruth Graham would be pretty awesome too. She gave up her dreams when she agreed to marry Billy Graham. She helped all of the down trodden that crossed her path. She was full or grace and hospitality. This book has been sitting on my shelf forever. Glad I finally read it!
Beckie
I loved that fact that Patricia Cornwall told her story of her relationship with Ruth Graham. She painted the utmost picture of grace and humility - a woman of courage and a wonderful sense of humor. One of my greatest dreams was to meet Ruth Graham - so sorry for our sakes that she is gone to heaven - but oh, what a homecoming that was!
Susan Sevcik
Very interesting book. I did not know much about Billy Graham, and this book tells of Ruth's life as his wife, with very little mention of her famous husband. The forward sets the tone, and Cornwell did an excellent job. While I love the Kay Scarpetta stories, I loved the Ruth Bell Graham stories just as much.
Debbie
Never before has the saying, "Behind every successful man is a powerful woman" been more true! This was Patrica Cornwell's FIRST book!! THAT alone had me intrigued... It was amazing to get to know Ruth Graham... WOW....she was something else!!
Trudy Popenhagen
Very independent lady. Not sure how Billy could have done his work without her.
Sandy Hiorns
A wonderful telling of the life of Billy Graham's wife by the well-known mystery writer Patricia Cornwell. Definitely the wind beneath the wings kind of woman.
Pat Wyman
Beautiful book about Ruth Bell Graham. The author was a friend since she was a child, and greatly admired Ruth. A fine tribute.
Linda
Wonderful story of Ruth Bell Graham. Interesting, humorous, intimate, true story that will be remembered fondly. Great read.
Morrigan
Three chapters in I realized I had read this book, Looked it up in my records and I read it in 2009
Jamie
Very well written and I loved the person being written about as well as the writer.
michelle
If you are looking for an amazing woman to study then this is a great biography to read.
Carolyn
It was interesting to read about the woman behind the man who is Billy Graham.
Ann Devoe
I really love biographies - and this strong presbyterian woman makes me happy
Shannon
An enjoyable biography of a complex and interesting person.
Michelle
A surprising relationship revealed!
Yvonne Self
Excellent. I really enjoyed this book.
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Amber Vaughn
Amber Vaughn marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • First Ladies: An Intimate Group Portrait of White House Wives
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • My Father's Daughter: A Memoir
  • Barbara Bush: A Memoir
  • A Simple Path
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Bring on the Empty Horses
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. At her first signing, held during a lunch break from the morgue, Patricia sold no copies of Postmortem and fielded exactly one question – an elderly woman asked her where she could find the cookbooks.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Cre...more
More about Patricia Cornwell...
Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1) Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4) The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2) Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)