Start by marking “Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham” as Want to Read:
Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham

Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  727 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Ruth Bell Graham is known as the wife of evangelist Billy Graham. It was Ruth who influenced Billy, as his most trusted life-partner. In Ruth, a Portrait, we meet this fascinating and remarkable woman. Brimming with anecdotes, this is a breathtaking journey, with stops at many of this century's epoch-making events.

The childhood years of the future Mrs. Billy Graham were sp
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Ruth, A Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth, A Portrait

Diana H.
Feb 12, 2013 Diana H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I doubt that many people know this, but one of the best biographies I have ever read was written by Patricia Cornwell. I’m not talking about the book she wrote about Jack the Ripper. The biography I’m excited about was about Ruth Bell Graham.

Graham and Cornwell have been friends for many years. This is evident in the wonderful book that Cornwell has written.

Ruth Bell Graham starts life as a child of missionaries in the Far East. She is sent to boarding school when still quite young and had to le
Richard Ward
Sep 09, 2015 Richard Ward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American evangelicals.
7 years before she created Kay Scarpetta, thriller writer Patricia Cornwell made her literary debut with a biography. At least I'm pretty sure this was her first book. Her subject was evangelist Billy Graham's wife, Ruth Bell Graham. 14 years after the book was first published Cornwell went back and revised it, adding new material including a foreword and a postscript. I enjoyed the whole book, including the new stuff. Fans of the Kay Scarpetta novels might find it interesting that Cornwell says ...more
Erin
Oct 21, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A biography of Ruth Bell Graham written by crime writer Patricia Cornwell? It was a pairing I couldn't pass up.

Turns out Cornwell grew up in the small NC town where the Grahams lived. She writes about Ruth: I thought she was the loveliest, kindest person ever born. I still do. I thought there must be something special about me, too. Why else would she notice that I played baseball and tennis better than the boys, or wrote poetry and songs and was lonely?"

I think there must be many people in the
Pam Brown
A rare find - a non-fiction biography I enjoyed! The authoress had several advantages. First, she knew Ruth Graham since childhood, growing up in the neighborhood. Which probably led to her second advantage, that she had access to diaries and other personal sources. The anecdotes and details made the reading disjointed at times. Sometimes I couldn't see how a particular tidbit was even relevant.
One last advantage the author and is that she actually has some story telling skills. She's best kno
Pamela
Oct 31, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my church library. I was amazed to see that Patricia Cornwell was the author. I had read a couple of Cornwell's books and didn't think she would know Billy and Ruth Graham but she does! This biography is very well written and was a pleasure to read.
Marla
Jul 14, 2015 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject is fascinating to me, but the introduction and the epilogue seem added on and do not flow with the rest of the book.
Anita Schweppe
I had already read a biography of Ruth Graham but this was a pleasant surprise in that it did not seem the same.
Leigh Ann
Jun 17, 2015 Leigh Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like biographies and have any interest in Billy Graham's wife's story, you will love this book. It is well written and I enjoyed it and read through it without picking up a fiction book which is unusual for me. She is also the mother of Franklin Graham from Samritan's Purse.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superb story, although a bit disjointed at times. Very inspirational lady!
Rosanne Bartlett
Oct 15, 2015 Rosanne Bartlett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but her newer stuff is better
Marlene
Jul 08, 2012 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this book wound up on my shelf and sat for some time. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago and found myself delighted. I enjoy a book that brings a person to life in such a way I feel I have come to know her. This is the case with Ruth. Ms. Cornwell did a terrific job in revealing Ruth. I enjoyed the book a lot and certainly have a new view on what it must be like to be in the public eye, especially one who brings spiritual concerns to those around her, an easy target for criticism. I am g ...more
Stephanie Seymore
Jun 25, 2015 Stephanie Seymore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book about a great lady.
Joan
Jan 14, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never knew much about Billy Graham and certainly not about his wife, Ruth Bell Graham. This book was the first biography ever written by my favorite murder mystery author, Patricia D. Cornwell, who grew up following Ruth Graham around until they were fast friends for life. Really enjoyed learning about this phenomenal Christian powerhouse and her famous evangelist husband. More than kept my interest!
Evelyn
Sep 18, 2011 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The life story of Ruth Bell Graham from her early childhood in China with her missionary parents to become the wife of Billy Graham. She always thought she'd be a missionary until she met Billy. In many ways this was more challenging than being a missionary because Billy was gone so much and she had 5 children to raise. A beautiful example of Christian womanhood.
Denise
May 04, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I know, as a Christian, I should emulate Christ but to be a little more like Ruth Graham would be pretty awesome too. She gave up her dreams when she agreed to marry Billy Graham. She helped all of the down trodden that crossed her path. She was full or grace and hospitality. This book has been sitting on my shelf forever. Glad I finally read it!
Beckie
Jan 27, 2008 Beckie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved that fact that Patricia Cornwall told her story of her relationship with Ruth Graham. She painted the utmost picture of grace and humility - a woman of courage and a wonderful sense of humor. One of my greatest dreams was to meet Ruth Graham - so sorry for our sakes that she is gone to heaven - but oh, what a homecoming that was!
Susan Sevcik
Jun 19, 2011 Susan Sevcik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. I did not know much about Billy Graham, and this book tells of Ruth's life as his wife, with very little mention of her famous husband. The forward sets the tone, and Cornwell did an excellent job. While I love the Kay Scarpetta stories, I loved the Ruth Bell Graham stories just as much.
Debbie
Oct 16, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
Never before has the saying, "Behind every successful man is a powerful woman" been more true! This was Patrica Cornwell's FIRST book!! THAT alone had me intrigued... It was amazing to get to know Ruth Graham... WOW....she was something else!!
Mary
Dec 04, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a biography in many years and I'm thankful to have read this one. I found out so many things about the Graham family I wouldn't have known otherwise. Definitely worth the time spent.
Trudy Popenhagen
Jan 28, 2014 Trudy Popenhagen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very independent lady. Not sure how Billy could have done his work without her.
Sandy Hiorns
Feb 07, 2010 Sandy Hiorns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful telling of the life of Billy Graham's wife by the well-known mystery writer Patricia Cornwell. Definitely the wind beneath the wings kind of woman.
Pat Wyman
Sep 03, 2012 Pat Wyman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful book about Ruth Bell Graham. The author was a friend since she was a child, and greatly admired Ruth. A fine tribute.
Linda
Jun 15, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story of Ruth Bell Graham. Interesting, humorous, intimate, true story that will be remembered fondly. Great read.
Morrigan
Sep 14, 2012 Morrigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three chapters in I realized I had read this book, Looked it up in my records and I read it in 2009
Joan Reid
Oct 10, 2014 Joan Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful biography.
Jamie
Jul 16, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and I loved the person being written about as well as the writer.
Carolyn
Dec 08, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to read about the woman behind the man who is Billy Graham.
Ann Devoe
I really love biographies - and this strong presbyterian woman makes me happy
Debbie Hartwell
I really enjoyed reading about Ruth. What an exceptional woman!
Shannon
An enjoyable biography of a complex and interesting person.
  • Just as I Am
  • Rebel with a Cause
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Life Sentence
  • Behind the Yellow Tape: On the Road with Some of America's Hardest Working Crime Scene Investigators
  • Fanny Crosby (1820-1915): The Hymn Writer (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Footprints Of A Pilgrim
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Out of the Blue: Orel Hershiser
  • High Calling: The Courageous Life and Faith of Space Shuttle Columbia Commander Rick Husband
  • The Five Silent Years of Corrie ten Boom
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • First Ladies: An Intimate Group Portrait of White House Wives
  • My Father's Daughter: A Memoir
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved
  • Corrie ten Boom (Heroes of the Faith)
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,
More about Patricia Cornwell...