Start by marking “My Point...And I Do Have One” as Want to Read:
My Point...And I Do Have One

My Point...And I Do Have One

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  5,087 ratings  ·  389 reviews
In this #1 New York Times bestseller, Ellen DeGeneres shares her hilarious take on everything from our most baffling human foibles–including how we behave in elevators, airplanes, and restrooms, and why we’re so scared of the boogeyman–to fashion trends, celebrity, and her secret recipe for Ellen’s Real Frenchy French Toast. Most of all, this witty, engaging book offers in ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Bantam (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about My Point...And I Do Have One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Point...And I Do Have One

Stacie
I found this book extremely hard to get through. I love Ellen, and her brand of humor. Why did I dislike the book so much? Well, I finished reading the book yesterday. Except if you can't see the date, then you might think today is yesterday, which it may have well been depending on when you read this review. But if you read the review a year from now, then me saying I read it yesterday will be irrelevant. But if you read this review today, then it can be accurately concluded that it was really ...more
Robyn
I respect Ellen DeGeneres as a person and I enjoy her comedy. This book, however, was not a great idea. I went to the library for her latest, Seriously...I'm Kidding, and figured I'd pick up her others at the same time. Unfortunately, her comedy relies a lot on inflection, timing, and facial expressions. These are things that do not translate to print. She even says as much when she explains why she's not including her signature Phone Call To God bit.

Here are two examples to show exactly how th
khveronika
I would have loved to give this book at least 2 stars, just because it's Ellen & I love her so much!! But no, that's totally out of the question :/
I guess Ellen developed her "sense of humour" throughout the years as this book was written in 1995 & I found it hardly entertaining. I had to chuckle a few times but that's pretty much it.
It's even impossible to sum it up as it's a collection of stories about nothing & everything. They are supposed to be funny situations out of Ellen's
Teagan Cantle
Why i decided To read this book?
i decided to read ellen degeneres my point...and do i have on because i read her seriously im kidding and really liked it, so i ordered this online and read it :) although it was still good it wasnt as good as the first one

Which category on the bingo board does this cover?
i decided to put this in 'My own choice', Mainly because it doesnt cover anything but autobiography and i have already used that,

my favourite quote from the book, and why:
there were many great qu
Another fun, light-hearted read from Ellen! Not quite as funny as 'Seriously... I'm Kidding' but still worth a read if you are a fan of Ellen.
Amy Wilder
The thing about Ellen is, she's really funny in a lightly self-deprecating way. She mocks herself for foibles like a fondness for kittens and an inability to manage gadgets. She doesn't go too deep or ask you to - but she does kind of give you that everybody's human so give yourself a break kind of glow.

I breezed right through this, chuckling all the way, and I'm glad Ellen is out there, being a gay person whose persona is not all about being gay. She's like the Bill Cosby of gays.

If Cosby said
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
I had a blast with reading Seriously... I’m Kidding, which is Ellen’s third book, but I didn’t find My Point... and I Do Have One as fun. Both books have pretty much the same idea and My Point... and I Do Have One even has these cute doodles in them. Sadly it didn’t make the book funnier.

I love Ellen and the way she makes people laugh with just a few words. But the focus of each chapter in this book kind of gets lost whenever she shifts suddenly to an off topic subject (a problem I didn’t have
Erin
Some comics have a sense of humor that easily translates to ink and paper. Unfortunately, I think Ellen's genius loses a lot when you can't see what she's doing. Her facial expressions, body language, and mastery of the dramatic pause just don't come through in My Point ... And I Do Have One.

Having seen some of Ellen's standup acts, the sections discussing weird bathroom behaviors and airplane experiences were the funniest because I could envision her actions. The parts about meeting her publish
Alex
I've always though Ellen was pretty funny and I was looking for a laugh, so I picked this up. I've heard her later books are great and much better, but I have this thing about having to start from the beginning with books. Since this was her first published book, I had to start here.

I did laugh a few times, but overall this was just annoying to read. She bounced around from one mindless rambling thought to the next, and it just became a little grating. From the middle of the book and on, she rem
Belle Torres

“How did people ever figure out that eggs were edible?” is just one of the quirky quotes of Ellen Degeneres that her book holds. Ellen Degeneres’ book is a playful and laugh out loud novel of the strange life that is Ellen Degeneres. Within every chapter is a different memory or thought that leaves you feeling as though she were there with you, telling you her story. Her opinions are vivid, even on some of the strangest topics, and she writes in a way that keeps you entertained and giddy while r
Audrey
Ellen has an amazing perspective and gift for sharing the laughter. I asked my grandma rose for this book for a Christmas gift, but she didn't want to buy it for me because Ellen is gay...I didn't really understand that and I remember thinking, you just don't get it, what does gay have to do with it anyway?
I was a junior in high school at the time and I still love Ellen!
Victoria
I was expecting this book to tell me more about Ellen herself and her life. Instead it was just like one long joke - "I did this...ok, only joking, no I never" that sort of thing. I got boring. I didn't discover anything new about Ellen. The only redeeming feature was that it was over relatively quickly. Had it been any longer, I doubt I would have finished it.
Amy P.
This book was obviously still trying to hide Ellen's Sexuality. I thought this was supposed to be a biography, but it was a poorly written book with some funny anecdotes thrown in.
Yusra Faridi
Book (Humor and Laughter):
This is the first book by Ellen DeGeneres that I have ever read. The one aspect of writing discussed in our class readings that I can really easily connect this book to is the use of voice. Ralph Fletcher defines voice as "the sense of the author's personality that comes through the words on the paper." Basically, it means that you can actually imagine having a conversation with that narrator, and be able to picture exactly what they would sound like and the things they
Edmund McCombs
I remember being in 6th grade and loving Ellen when her tv show was on. She is a legend.
L.M
My dad bought this for me when I was...16 so maybe this is why I have such fond memories from reading this book. It was hilarious, if you like Ellen you're definitely going to like this book. Some parts of the book is funnier than other parts, but I think anyone who reads it can relate to the things the author writes about in this book. If you need a good laugh read it. Especially on the bus or on the tube because you won't be able to keep from laughing and what is better on your boring daily co ...more
Kris
4 STARS

"Ellen DeGeneres shares her hilarious take on everything from our most baffling human foibles–including how we behave in elevators, airplanes, and restrooms, and why we’re so scared of the boogeyman–to fashion trends, celebrity, and her secret recipe for Ellen’s Real Frenchy French Toast. Most of all, this witty, engaging book offers insights into the mind of one of America’s most beloved comics.… Dear Reader, I was awfully excited when I was asked to write a book. I was however, nervous.
Jenn
Jan 08, 2013 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
I love Ellen - I think she is one of the happiest, warmest, kind-hearted people in the world. Her personality and outlook on life and the world in general is an example we should all strive for! I wanted to read all of her books to learn more about her (I love a good memoir), and in this way, the book was a bit disappointing. There were a few very small glimpses of Ellen herself, but for the most part, it was a sprawling comedy routine. Her version of humor didn't evolve much throughout the book ...more
EB Mazza
Okay, so I absolutely LOVE Ellen DeGeneres and I have a feeling that this review will come back to haunt me one day, but if I'm anything, it's honest. And to be honest, this book bored the living crap out of me... literally.

Normally I can read a book straight through. That's just how I am. I will read until my entire brain is consumed by the story even if I hate it or I think it stinks. But not when I'm bored. Unfortunately, this book became my bathroom book. I would only read it when I was sitt
Pepper
I love Ellen DeGeneres, I really do! However, I don't like this book. I guess I was expecting an autobiography, instead all I got was incoherent ramblings and nonsense. I love her standup comedy from the '80s, I even watched an episode here and there of her television show Ellen, & I adore her new Ellen DeGeneres show. (that is now in its 10th season!)

Is her mind really this chaotic? I found myself really wanting to like this book, but in the end I didn't even want to finish it. After the
Stacie
Iditarod. The funniest visual, one that has carried me through life. I, myself, may one day choose to aspire to lash a handful of neighborhood dogs together and train my heart out...for a cold weather event (I live on the Gulf Coast) only, in the interest of copyright infringement, I will use cats...or squirrels. They are faster...and lighter. More agile.

Following your dreams, set goal, meet goal, overcoming obstacles, etc. Important advice; this is like an (maybe unintentional:) handbook for g
Nina
Dec 16, 2011 Nina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nina by: Mom
Shelves: biography
Warning: This review may contain spoilers.

Ellen is funnier on TV. This book didn't seem to have a point, which makes the title deceiving. Ellen seemed to just write whatever she felt like. It was easy to see that she was kind of struggling to write a book with more than 60,000 words. She kept on saying so herself. At first, it was funny. But as the book went on, the joke quickly became stale.

The book contains many short tidbits about many things. Random things. There's nothing too much about Ell
Angel
This was Ellen's first book. I didn't know what to think of it at first. Sometimes I thought it was an autobiography and then other times it seemed more like her stand up routine. Then I decided that I didn't care and laughed through it. I read it when it first came out and I still think of stories that she told in it. My favorite was the one where she decides to train for the Iditarod with an odd collection of dogs. She chants along the way: Icanarod, Iwillarod, Iwinarod, Ididarod!

Here's a link
Rebecca
This is Ellen's first book and I have read her second one and can say that it is definitely funny. The first one is pretty funny too. I really liked it.

I have to give a warning though, if you were looking for an honest and truthful, serious look into Ellen and her life this is not that book.

My Point ... And I Do Have One is pretty funny and I have to say that I laughed out loud quite a few times.

At times I felt the book moved a little slowly but there were other times when I found it to be quite
Jackie
The first time I saw Ellen Degeneres it was on a television series and it was many years ago. She was so funny then and she still is. I love it when she hosts the Academy Awards because she has a way of diffusing tension and bringing humor to an event that is so over the top with Hollywood stars.
Emily Lewis
Amusing, but not as good as her later books. It's more stream-of-consciousness flits about a little too much at times. I also recognized some portions from her later stand-up acts. They played better on stage than in print, as does Ellen in general.
Preeti
I love Ellen. I think she's pretty funny, especially in some of her stand-up routines. And of course, as a person (or at least her public persona) she is awesome.

None of this translates in this book. Parts of the first section I actually recall from one of her routines, and it's way funnier to watch and listen to her. In the book, there is a lot missing. Others have mentioned her facial expressions, how she talks, etc.

And the rest of the book was just a rambling mess. There were a few moments in
Kailee
As much as I love Ellen, I hated her book. It was incredibly boring, & not at all funny. It was like she tried way too hard to be funny, & the opposite came across. I almost stopped reading it halfway through, but I stuck it out because I like to finish what I start.
Pei Pei
I laughed out loud a few times and it was nice light beach reading but ultimately a little too random and consciously quirky for me. The joke about the minimum word count wore thin because it seemed like it might actually be true.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
My Point...And I Do Have One is Ellen Degeneres first book. This isn't an autobiography. This is Ellen's first attempt at writing and I'm sure she's improved since writing this. She couldn't have gotten worse, that's for sure. I know that sounds harsh, but the book is just none sense ramblings with a grain of truth mixed in. I'm surprised it was published. I do really like Ellen and I'm sure her writing has grown since this. I'll give her another chance because I think she's deserved it. However ...more
Funny, laugh out loud books 7 28 Jul 04, 2013 01:57PM
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • SeinLanguage
  • Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Time Flies
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • If Only
  • Here We Go Again: My Life In Television
  • I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!: And Other Things That Strike Me as Funny
  • Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad
  • Everything and a Kite
Ellen Lee DeGeneres is an American stand-up comedian, actress, and currently the Emmy Award-winning host of the syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

She has hosted both the Academy Awards and the Primetime Emmys. As a film actress, she starred in Mr. Wrong, appeared in Edtv and The Love Letter, and provided the voice of "Dory" in the Pixar animated hit film Finding Nemo. She also starred
More about Ellen DeGeneres...
Seriously... I'm Kidding The Funny Thing Is... Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat The Signet Book of American Humor

“If you want to test cosmetics, why do it on some poor animal who hasn't done anything? They should use prisoners who have been convicted of murder or rape instead. So, rather than seeing if perfume irritates a bunny rabbit's eyes, they should throw it in Charles Manson's eyes and ask him if it hurts.” 829 likes
“Have you ever heard somebody sing some lyrics that you've never sung before, and you realize you've never sung the right words in that song? You hear them and all of a sudden you say to yourself, 'Life in the Fast Lane?' That's what they're saying right there? You think, 'why have I been singing 'wipe in the vaseline?' how many people have heard me sing 'wipe in the vaseline?' I am an idiot.” 656 likes