Start by marking “Death in a Serene City” as Want to Read:
Death in a Serene City

Death in a Serene City (Urbino McIntyre Mystery #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Venice called to Urbino Macintyre--intoxicating him with a blend of majesty, history and decay. Strolling past her magnificent palazzos and picturesque canals, the expatriate American writer knew he could love none other-and vowed to remain always.
But now the elegant tranquility of his chosen city has been shattered by mayhem and murder. The bizarre theft of the corpse of
Published 1990 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Serene City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Serene City

Monica
Jan 11, 2010 Monica rated it liked it
This is the first book in a series by Edward Sklepowich, featuring a writer/sleuth by the name of Urbino Macintyre. I did like this book but not sure to what depth. This was one of those books where I was always stopping to Google something on the computer that was mentioned in the book. Unlike the mystery books I’ve been reading that are set in Florence, I have no visual map in my mind of Venice. And so I felt compelled to look up this church that is mentioned or that location, such as the isle ...more
Italo Italophiles
Aug 20, 2014 Italo Italophiles rated it really liked it
Mr. Sklepowich is a solid writer who leaves no loose ends, and who writes in the style of the classic mystery writers. His books are not police procedurals, but are the classic three act mysteries, with the murder happening at the end of Act I, after we've met all the potential suspects. Lengthy ruminations on facts uncovered fill Act II. And the killer is revealed at the end of Act III, followed by an Epilogue that wraps up all the loose ends.

The author peppers his books with literary and histo
Susan
Death in a Serene City is the first book of the Urbino Macintyre mystery series by Edward Sklepowich. The story is set in Venice Italy during the weeks prior to carnevale in 1987. A wide variety of characters are introduced: a washerwoman, a hunchback, a priest, a countess, writers and artists. None are fleshed out in personality, but each eventually contributes at least a little bit to the solution.

Allow plenty of time to read this book; it’s certainly not light entertainment like a page-turner
Writerlibrarian
Jun 04, 2007 Writerlibrarian rated it liked it
A fairly middle of the road kind of mystery. What makes it interesting is the settings, the characters and what the major character reads impacts the storyline. It made me look up books that I didn't know and featured my all time favorite historical-romantic book : Consuelo by George Sand. Consuelo (translated in English). My favorite book from my Uni days. I stayed up nights to read this. Link to the Project Gutenberg text. This is Venice, music, opera in the 18e century. We get Porpora, Haydn, ...more
Francis
Jul 11, 2015 Francis rated it liked it
A good sense of place, but for me I found the author a rather dispassionate story teller. I did not get a sense of participating in the story. It was more like seeing it transpire while watching over somebody's shoulder.
Jennifer Rozens
Oct 07, 2015 Jennifer Rozens rated it did not like it
Shelves: done
The book was slow and there wasn't much in the way of mystery. None of the clues were pointing to the eventual murderer, but the writing was just ramblings of the hero's impressions of Venice. I like reading about Venice, so I would recommend the book on that score, but if you're a mystery fan, read something else.
Phetsy Dutchko
Mar 03, 2016 Phetsy Dutchko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeplowich captures the delicious, dreamy decadence of Venice perfectly in this enthralling mystery populated with vivid characters and intriguing plotting.
Wmdavidharrison
Jun 29, 2013 Wmdavidharrison rated it really liked it
This is the third of Edward Sklepowich's Venice based murder mysteries I have read but it was the first of the series. I enjoyed this rather less than Frail Barrier and The Veils of Venice mainly because the lead characters are far more developed in the later books. A bit of a slow start and it took me longer to read it as I found it less involving but a good read overall and a wonderful sense of place.
Alan
Apr 20, 2015 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice setting in Venice, but in the last 30 pages the mystery suddenly resolves but without really building the foundation for the resolution. There were a lot of sudden jumps to the conclusion.

The murder of an elderly washerwoman occurs in the small church of San Gabriele, where at the same time someone has stolen the corpse of Santa Teodora from its glass reliquary.
Sharon
Sep 18, 2008 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Italian names and titles, slow to get into but worth reading to the end.
Rama Stevens
Rama Stevens is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Terence
Terence rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Dasha
Dasha rated it did not like it
May 10, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Jaye
Jaye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Don Croner
Don Croner rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Margot Johnston
Margot Johnston marked it as to-read
Girija
Girija rated it really liked it
D Laskiewicz
D Laskiewicz rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Linda Prince
Linda Prince marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Safa
Safa marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
EDWARD SKLEPOWICH has been an expatriate American for many years. He has been a Fullbright scholar of American literature in Egypt, Algeria, and Tunisia. He divides his time between Tunisia, where he is a university lecturer, Venice, New York, and a former Phoenician town on the Tunisian Mediterranean called Sousse. His deep feeling for Venice is one expression of his maternal Italian heritage.
Int
More about Edward Sklepowich...

Urbino McIntyre Mystery (9 books)
  • Farewell to the Flesh
  • Liquid Desires
  • Black Bridge
  • Death in the Palazzo
  • Deadly to the Sight
  • The Last Gondola
  • Frail Barrier
  • The Veils of Venice

“Urbino laughed. The Contessa, as usual when it came to things Venetian, was probably right.” 0 likes