Death In A Serene City

Death In A Serene City (Urbino McIntyre Mystery #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Venice called to Urbino Macintyre--intoxicating him with a blend of majesty, history and decay. Strolling past her magnificent palazzos and picturesque canals, the expatriate American writer knew he could love none other-and vowed to remain always.
But now the elegant tranquility of his chosen city has been shattered by mayhem and murder. The bizarre theft of the corpse of...more
Published 1990 by William Morrow & Company

Monica
This is the first book in a series by Edward Sklepowich, featuring a writer/sleuth by the name of Urbino Macintyre. I did like this book but not sure to what depth. This was one of those books where I was always stopping to Google something on the computer that was mentioned in the book. Unlike the mystery books I’ve been reading that are set in Florence, I have no visual map in my mind of Venice. And so I felt compelled to look up this church that is mentioned or that location, such as the isle...more
Italo Italophiles
Mr. Sklepowich is a solid writer who leaves no loose ends, and who writes in the style of the classic mystery writers. His books are not police procedurals, but are the classic three act mysteries, with the murder happening at the end of Act I, after we've met all the potential suspects. Lengthy ruminations on facts uncovered fill Act II. And the killer is revealed at the end of Act III, followed by an Epilogue that wraps up all the loose ends.

The author peppers his books with literary and histo...more
Susan
Death in a Serene City is the first book of the Urbino Macintyre mystery series by Edward Sklepowich. The story is set in Venice Italy during the weeks prior to carnevale in 1987. A wide variety of characters are introduced: a washerwoman, a hunchback, a priest, a countess, writers and artists. None are fleshed out in personality, but each eventually contributes at least a little bit to the solution.

Allow plenty of time to read this book; it’s certainly not light entertainment like a page-turner...more
Writerlibrarian
A fairly middle of the road kind of mystery. What makes it interesting is the settings, the characters and what the major character reads impacts the storyline. It made me look up books that I didn't know and featured my all time favorite historical-romantic book : Consuelo by George Sand. Consuelo (translated in English). My favorite book from my Uni days. I stayed up nights to read this. Link to the Project Gutenberg text. This is Venice, music, opera in the 18e century. We get Porpora, Haydn,...more
Wmdavidharrison
This is the third of Edward Sklepowich's Venice based murder mysteries I have read but it was the first of the series. I enjoyed this rather less than Frail Barrier and The Veils of Venice mainly because the lead characters are far more developed in the later books. A bit of a slow start and it took me longer to read it as I found it less involving but a good read overall and a wonderful sense of place.
Sharon
Italian names and titles, slow to get into but worth reading to the end.
Inga Eguizarian
Inga Eguizarian marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Inga Eguizarian
Inga Eguizarian is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Dana Quillman
Dana Quillman marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Ines Pian'inglese
Ines Pian'inglese marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Meriem Bchir
Meriem Bchir marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Gail Essary
Gail Essary marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Jlb
Jlb marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
St Larch
St Larch marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Shari
Shari added it
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
EDWARD SKLEPOWICH has been an expatriate American for many years. He has been a Fullbright scholar of American literature in Egypt, Algeria, and Tunisia. He divides his time between Tunisia, where he is a university lecturer, Venice, New York, and a former Phoenician town on the Tunisian Mediterranean called Sousse. His deep feeling for Venice is one expression of his maternal Italian heritage.
Int...more
More about Edward Sklepowich...
Death in the Palazzo Liquid Desires The Last Gondola Farewell to the Flesh The Veils of Venice

“Urbino laughed. The Contessa, as usual when it came to things Venetian, was probably right.” 0 likes