Start by marking “Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life” as Want to Read:
Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life

Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life

How can we live a balanced life in unbalanced times? How can the practices of meditation and yoga support our relationships, our work lives, and the greater good? Author, teacher, and psychotherapist Michael Stone presents the essential insights of mindfulness and yoga, emphasizing the teachings of simplicity and the interdependence of all life.

Stone explains that the pra
Published June 7th 2011 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Awake in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awake in the World

Ron
Oct 30, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
Very profound, but finds it too academic and very hard to get into.
Frank Jude
I’ve taken my time working through Michael Stone’s Awake In The World, not because it’s a slog, but because it’s the kind of book that invites (at least for me) dipping in and sitting with. And that’s a good thing…

Back in the early 90s I wrote a cd’s worth of songs with titles like “I Don’t Care,” “That’s Not What I Meant; You Just Don’t Understand,” “Take Me Home (and Make Me Feel Better)” and “Lie To Me.” My friend Stuffy, a really great song-writer, was going to produce it. He said of my lyri
Erin
Jul 18, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Before starting this, I knew nothing about Michael Stone, but this turns out to be a series of essays he's written around the world (nice life!) about his musings on yoga, Buddhism, and faith. Stone says some profound things that I really enjoyed (one that stuck with me is how yoga encourages you to let go of your secrets to live a more honest life, and I've personally seen how much relief occurs when this happens, even with non-yogis), but most of his writing (which he admits) is quite academic ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
Jun 18, 2016 Sian Lile-Pastore rated it really liked it
Love the way Michael Stone writes - these essays are about yoga and Buddhism, but also so much more. The main theme I got from this is how yoga needs to be rooted in the everyday - you can't just become completely obsessed about yoga and asana and meditation without balance, groundedness and being of the world too. Stone is fascinating, I reckon even if you had just a casual interest in yoga, you'd get something from these essays.
Paula
Jun 29, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
Like a yogic Annie Dillard, Michael Stone combines intellectual rigor with spiritual understanding. On top of that he's got a deep knowledge and respect for asana practice that never bleeds over to body worship.
Kelsey
Jul 05, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
This book was kind of hard to get through for me but it had a few moments that made it worthwhile. It was also an interesting book to read in conjunction with learning yoga.
Alex
Oct 20, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Wonderul, inspiring book to use yoga and buddhist teachings throughout your whole life, to be a force for good in the world.. loved it! A book i can see myself dipping into time and again.
Linda
Nov 29, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
This is a series of lectures on yoga. He talks a lot about yoga and ethics, which is most useful to me.
Bodhi47
May 31, 2013 Bodhi47 rated it really liked it
Excellent blend of Zen and Yoga. You can see similarities and the dharma talks make sense in a current world. Engaged Buddhism and a fresh perspective. I enjoyed it and will re-read it.
Greta
Greta rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
AJ
AJ rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Julie Fiandt
Julie Fiandt rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Vikki Ott
Vikki Ott rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Melinda DiOrio
Melinda DiOrio rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Renee Gahan
Renee Gahan rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Adrian Lucas
Adrian Lucas rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2012
J Retz
J Retz rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Dianna Kington
Dianna Kington rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Alex Youngs
Alex Youngs rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Mizzo73
Mizzo73 rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Ilona Altman
Ilona Altman rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Felix Cruet
Felix Cruet rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
The Artful Blog
The Artful Blog rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
ElroyStrongjaws
ElroyStrongjaws rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2012
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Mrs. Fisher
Mrs. Fisher rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • Die Wise: A Manifesto for Sanity and Soul
  • Be Love Now: The Path of the Heart
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
More about Michael Stone...