Start by marking “The Musubi Man: Hawai'i's Gingerbread Man” as Want to Read:
The Musubi Man: Hawai'i's Gingerbread Man

The Musubi Man: Hawai'i's Gingerbread Man

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Musubi Man Like the Gingerbread Man in the classic tale, the Musubi Man leads his pursuers on a merry chase. Full description
Published June 1st 1997 by Bess Press

To ask other readers questions about The Musubi Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Musubi Man

Dolly
Jan 26, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun Hawaiian take on the Gingerbread man story. Much of the story is written in pidgin, as that's how the gingerbread man speaks, and although it makes perfect sense to me, it could be confusing to others. And folks outside of Hawaii and Japan might be confused by the musubi (more commonly known as onigiri in Japan). The delectable combination of sushi rice, spam, and egg all wrapped up in nori seaweed is a wonderful "sandwich" that is extremely popular here and a quick snack our girls ...more
Jill
I first heard this book during student teaching when the speech teacher read it to my class!

This was our Thursday rendition of the Gingerbread Man story. It is the Hawaiian "version", so to speak. I liked that we were being exposed to a subculture of the United States. Plus my kids are obsessed with the idea of Hawaii so they were really into the story.

The Musubi Man spoke in Pidgin, which was culturally accurate but a bit difficult to read and sort of non-understandable to my Midwestern student
Pua Hawaiʻi Book Blog
The Musubi Man is a local retelling of the popular children’s tale, The Gingerbread Man. Takayama puts her own Hawaii twist on the story by including such colorful characters as the poi dog, mynah bird, mongoose and a surfer, as well as numerous local staples like ono food and beautiful, realistic settings. Illustrator Pat Hall does a tremendous job translating Takayama’s story into a vibrant and colorful world.

Complete review here: http://www.hawaiibookblog.com/article...
Meadow
The Hawaiian take on the Gingerbread Man. Pretty funny.
Tanner
Tanner marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Aubree
Aubree added it
Dec 08, 2014
Jaymi Washington
Jaymi Washington marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Spencersingh123
Spencersingh123 marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Reynalynn Mier
Reynalynn Mier marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Angelina Figueroa
Angelina Figueroa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jorin Santiago
Jorin Santiago marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
The Musubi Man's New Friend The Prince and the Li Hing Mui The Musubi Baby Musubi Man's New Friend: Hawaiʻi's Gingerbread Ma