Start by marking “The Healthy Home: Simple Truths to Protect Your Family from Hidden Household Dangers” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The most up-to-date and scientifically accurate book on how to detox your home, room-by-room, to keep you and your family safe former
Published March 1st 2011 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Healthy Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healthy Home

Brenda
The Healthy Home

Beware the cordless phone, my friend,
the microwave, the Internet.
Beware the baby monitor,
that fluoride toothpaste, minty breath.

Just take The Healthy Home in hand
and cast out fruit juice, nonstick pans.
Shun soda, night lights. Save
your glands by going braless. Ban

all use of lavender for vinegar
is magic juice. Though vorpal
blade won't ever thwack
the common cold, cholesterol,

the Wentzes are such beamish
men, you'll trust their worries even
when they damn vaccines--for
you love babies...more
Maria
What I Can Tell You:

This is one of the most interesting books I have read on protecting my family from the every day products I use in my home and on our bodies.

I was shocked at how many toxins we have in our house. Once you get educated, it is easy to see why these items are a danger to you and your family.

We are all scent based and if something smells good, it is good for us. This is far from the truth. I remembered while reading this book that a friend of mine while taking clothes out of th...more
Elizabeth
Ugh. This book started out good, but quickly took the crazy train. I can't take anyone seriously who advocates for no vaccines.
Honestly, I just skimmed this one, and it wasn't my fault. The subject matter makes you want to just find out the useful information, and the format is choppy and fragmented. I don't like contrived "conversation" narratives in non-fiction.

That said, I do believe most of his warnings and suggestions. It probably helps that my husband has already been preaching most of it to me for years. I let him read it too, and now he's got a few more things (including synthetic fabrics) to worry himself over...more
Gila
Perfume= Poison
Dry Cleaning= Poison
Lotion= Poison
Glade Plug-in's= Poison.....

You get the gist. This book scared the crap out of me! In a nutshell, you are slowly being poisoned by everything in your home. Your bedroom, bathroom, office, car, garage, and yard is killing you by filling you with deadly toxins that will eventually give you cancer.

Although some of the author's conjectures were completely flawed and borderlin...more
USANA Health Sciences Inc.
The Healthy Home focuses on the most important environment — the home — and reveals surprising health risks posed by our everyday products and habits.

The authors — Dr. Myron Wentz, a respected microbiologist and cellular health expert, and Dave Wentz, the CEO of an international health company — provide simple solutions you can put to use today to help ensure a lifetime of better health for you and your family.
Jessi
There were tons of interesting things here that you wouldn't normally think about being dangerous in your own home. It's important to keep things in perspective though and I have to remember that when reading things like this... We can't live in a bubble but we can make some minor changes to make our homes and lives a bit healthier!!!
Melissa Loomis
This book is for anyone concerned with their invisible environment - the things we surround ourselves with that emit harmful chemicals or things that we ingest, spritz or lather ourselves up in that we don't truly know what they are.

I'm halfway reading through this book as it isn't one that you'd want to read through quickly. You'll want to absorb each chapter, identify whether it relates to your household and whether you want to make changes or not. It turns out with each chapter I've read - I...more
Lisa
Interesting book, however I think focusing on not smoking, losing weight and eating right are the most important steps one can take to ensure they remain healthy.

I do LOVE the idea of an unplugged bedroom!
Pam Boyd
Very informative!! Who knew going braless was good for you!
Molly
Jul 03, 2011 Molly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conspiracy theorists & people who accept everything at face value
Recommended to Molly by: coworker Tammy S.
Shelves: did-not-finish
I decided to pull the plug on this one. The author is actually the son, who only has an undergraduate degree in biology, and he hired someone to do the actual writing. It's written to be accessible to all audiences - so it doesn't get too sciency or technical - but that also makes a lot of it sound far-fetched and squirrely.
I don't think it's all iffy (e.g., where it talks about how personal care products have the fullest amount of toxic crap in them allowed by law, so when you're using three d...more
Ashley Hietpas
Part of me wanted to dismiss everything once I got to the section where they try to suggest that vaccines cause autism. This is because that claim is one of the most widely refuted medical hoaxes currently out there. Not getting your children vaccinated does much more harm than good. While your child may or may not experience side effects from a vaccine, if they do not get vaccinated there is a very real and definite possibility that they will suffer(or even die) from a preventable illness. I kn...more
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
I find this book has equal parts common sense, and crazy-talk.

Let's start with the positive. It's a quick and easy read. It suggests some easy ways to reduce toxins in our lives. It provides recipes for holistic cleaning agents.

But the crazy talk kicks in pretty strong. The fake walk-through narrative, with "The good Doctor" walking around with more death-detecting gadgets than a ghostbuster was a little much.

And advocating against vaccines is just irresponsible. (google: "Herd Immunity" to se...more
Denese
This was an easy read as I already knew much of it. If I was a parent of young children, I would consider it a must read and would take each chapter slowly. Trying to live green environmentally and be healthy don't always match up.For instance, the book is against CFL light bulbs but I have got most of my house switched over to them and the incandescent will be banned soon. LED's seem best but are so expensive.
I won't use plastic shopping bags but sure don't want to give up some of my plastic f...more
Lara
I just listened to this on audio books (app overdrive-using library card) it was so informative I just purchased book to have at home as my health bible. it was incredibly informative and scary. I thought I was doing better (as in eating healthier, environment, and cleaning) I was not even close. but I am learning and aware now. the Dr in this book even said its overwhelming to change everything in your world but changing a few things can add years to your life.
really read labels. if you don't...more
Trisha
Superb! The book's format even made this topic an enjoyable read!

Informative but not overwhelming, and the solutions are very practical. One of the best things you can do to improve the air in your home? Open the windows! (The solution to pollution is dilution.) Simple and free, of course with all the scientific details behind the reasons for doing so.

While he doesn't promote his products in the book AT ALL, I feel confident knowing that I have been using his products for years, considering his...more
Ben Donahower
While I'm familiar with much of the information was in this book, I really enjoyed it. It put a lot of things together and into perspective. The format was accessible, so it's something that I'm considering buying as gifts for people who are less aware of these issues.

This book, however, isn't particularly dogmatic. The author offers a number of suggestions about how you can reduce your exposure to toxins, eat healthier, etc. using the Pareto Principle or by suggesting simple changes that will...more
Tracy
There were some interesting things in there, more natural alternatives to chemicals an toxins we use a lot, information about pollutants I didn't know. But the authors' efforts to make the book easily readable and enjoyable ended up making me feel a bit talked down to. The "storyline" of following one of the authors through his house was kind of fake and made up. Even so, there was some good info in there, and I want to try switching out some cleaners and moving things a little differently in th...more
Richard
Ouch, anti-vaccine, anti-fluoride, pro multiple doses of megavitamins and minerals, active science denial and I am only 1/4 of the way through. Aluminum causes Breast cancer and ladders contain aluminum! "drink as much water as you can", confusing simple chemistry - just because some compounds of fluorine are regulated does not mean they all should be!! Some compounds of chlorine are - heck many containing carbon are regulated!
Water alone can remove most stains!
Christa Cordova
Good, comprehensive overview of what a healthy home can/should look like. I've read a ton of books on this subject and this will be the one that I recommend to others as a "starting point" on a journey toward a holistic home. The only thing that might turn some people off is that there is a lot to learn ... that might be intimidating for individuals with no prior exposure to the concepts related to green living.
Sonia
Very informative book about the bad things in your house - trust me, the list goes on and on. Things you never suspected, according to the authors, are killing you. I'm assuming they have done exhaustive research to come to the point of writing such a book. Definitely worth reading and trying to follow their suggestions. I would have given it four stars if it hadn't been such a depressing book!
Kathy
Suggested to me by my massage therapist.
This book is far to one side in its healthy suggestions.
I certainly do not agree with all of them, in fact I disagree completely with the authors on some things.
However, this book makes you think and gives you one side of the story to help make your decisions.
There are some things that I will work to change in my lifestyle to make things "healthier."
Sarah Anderson
Some common sense, some overkill, this book mostly just scared the crap out of me. The little quizzes on each room just drive home the fact that there are dangers everywhere... Even in the way you wear your bra! I will probably make a few changes and put more thought into things I bring into our home, but I don't know how anyone could implement all of the recommendations made in this book.
Colleen
I am both a hypochondriac and a chemical-phobe, so this book nearly sent me into a psychiatric facility. However, after I talked myself down off the ledge, I took a deep breath and realized that while I agree with a lot of the common sense advice in the book, there is something fishy about these guys, and I don't entirely trust them.
Rubén
Sometimes it turns very negative. I understand that we are exposed to a very dangerous environment but more solutions would have been nicer! Also, it seems that the 'consuming' way of life we are living it is not questioned very directly, I think that is the basic problem of our society.
Emily
This book is awesome and I have already implemented some changes in my life as a result of reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone who is concerned about "going green"... this book is all about being safe, natural, and sustainable. And best of all, the solutions are EASY!
Tonya
Very interesting. Makes one think about all the things we use around the home, just because the government says they are "good" for you or because they are convenient.
Jenna King
There were some good things in this book, but mostly it just adds to today's paranoia about being clean and not having any germs anywhere.
Lorenzo Macias
A must read for anyone interested in good health. there are things around you in your everyday routine we are not aware of.
Kathy
I really have trouble with not vaccinating your kids! Some of this book is really off kilter! I would not recommend it!
What changes have you made? 1 5 Apr 27, 2011 09:04AM
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • Why Love Hurts: A Sociological Explanation
  • To the Castle and Back: Reflections on My Strange Life as a Fairy-Tale Hero
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens)
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • In Other Words: A Coursebook on Translation
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • Malignant Sadness: The Anatomy of Depression
  • The Twenty-four Hour Mind: the Role of Sleep and Dreaming in Our Emotional Lives
  • Pack a Lunch! Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • Hiroshima in the Morning
  • In Morocco
  • Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
Dave Wentz is chief executive officer of USANA Health Sciences, a state-of-the-art manufacturer of nutritional supplements and health products. He received a bachelor's degree in bioengineering from the University of California, San Diego. In 2009 he was named one of the most powerful CEOs 40 and under on Forbes.com. Dave lives with his wife, Reneé, and children, Andrew and Sydney, in Salt Lake Ci...more
More about Dave Wentz...
The Healthy Home: Simple Truths to Protect Your Family from Hidden Household Dangers The Healthy Home: Simple Truths to Protect Your Family from Hidden Household Dangers