Start by marking “A Butterfly Dream” as Want to Read:
A Butterfly Dream

A Butterfly Dream

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  6 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
At 6 years old, long before he discovers that he is gay, Banat Frantz learns that being Jewish in Hitler’s Germany is a bewildering crime for which he and his family must pay. Fire and loathing greet his emerging consciousness and a resourceful child begins to learn survival skills.

Violently forced from their home and a successful business, his family immigrates to Holland
Published November 2010

To ask other readers questions about A Butterfly Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Butterfly Dream

Alan
Oct 25, 2011 Alan rated it liked it
Banat Frantz is a Jewish boy growing toward manhood in Germany when Adolf Hitler comes to power. At an early age, Banat already feels the animosity directed toward his family. He experiences shame and fear, but doesn’t understand what it is that makes him different from those who hate. His upper-class family is stripped of almost everything before fleeing to Holland, where they think they have escaped Hitler’s grasp. But within a few years the Nazis invade Holland and they are made prisoners and ...more
Erastes
Jan 29, 2012 Erastes rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
I find books about the concentration camps difficult to review and rate, let alone that they are often difficult–that is, painful–to read and this is no exception. One feels that one should have an automatic sympathetic response to the book, that one should praise it because of the subject matter, and by criticising it, one is somehow lessening the horror of what actually happened in Europe (and elsewhere.)

But although there was much to like about the book, I’m going to be critical too. Firstly,
Cosmic.dave
Feb 10, 2014 Cosmic.dave rated it it was amazing
This book was gripping from beginning to end. Heart-wrenching in places but such an important book. While most are familiar with the 'Diary of Anne Frank', this book is inspired by the true story of an actual Jewish Gay male survivor of the Holocaust. People should read 'Anne Frank' and then read 'Butterfly Dream'.
Lori
Sep 11, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Well-written and heart-felt story about a young gay man in Germany during World War II. I strongly recommend this one.
John
Oct 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it
I liked this book quite a lot. It is true that I found myself wanting to tidy it up here and there; it could be a real gem with a bit of editorial polish. But really, it was never such a problem that I couldn't see the truth that the narrator, Barat, speaks. Certain scenes are brilliantly clear and (for me) make up for a bit of muddle here and there.
Victor Yates
Victor Yates marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Amy Derby
Amy Derby rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Matthew Steiger
Matthew Steiger marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013