Start by marking “Forts Special Edition: Fathers and Sons” as Want to Read:
Forts Special Edition: Fathers and Sons

Forts Special Edition: Fathers and Sons (Forts #1)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For Tommy Jarvis, life has never been simple - quite the opposite, in fact. It is, however, about to become decidedly more difficult. Moments after stumbling through a doorway to another world, Tommy and his friends discover they are the key to ending a war in which the casualties are too great to count and their chances of survival are almost nonexistent.
Published March 16th 2011 by Quiet Corner Press and The Literary Underground

To ask other readers questions about Forts Special Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forts Special Edition

James
Two brothers suffer terrible abuse at the hands of their alcoholic father. A young girl mourns the loss of her friend. A clumsy boy is lost among the crowd and struggles to find his way in the world. A neglected son bullies others because its the only way he can get attention. Five children, each with their own problem, are thrown into a war between races as far removed from our own as you can get. They are The Five and they are the only hope for Fillagrou, a land decimated by the Ochan army.

Ste...more
Steven
What the heck grade did you expect me to give it?
Nina Perez
May 01, 2011 Nina Perez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nina by: Steven Novak
Shelves: favorites
What a lovely mix of adventure, humor and heart. The children at that center of this story are easy to relate to and root for (even, sometimes, Donald). The new world introduced is filled with well-developed, interesting, and beautifully illustrated creatures. It's wonderfully layered with a pace that is both exciting and emotionally satisfying. I cannot wait to start the second one!
M.J. Heiser
Meet the Jarvis brothers. As if losing their mother to cancer at an early age wasn't a horrifying-enough thing to endure, they now have to put up with bullies, confusing friendships and alliances, and one of the worst family betrayals anyone can think of.

Then things get bad.

The Jarvis brothers, along with one of the afore-mentioned bullies and another school pseudo-friend, are pulled out of the world that's familiar and are taken to a new place, a completely alien and strange world called Fillag...more
Steven Bergson
MaryAnn Bernal
I found “Forts: Fathers and Sons” to be a delightful story. The reader becomes immediately involved in the lives of the main characters before they are thrust upon a journey which forever changes their lives. Like Alice and her adventures through the looking glass, the children are caught up in the machinations of war and conquest as they try to find their way home. Alien creatures, prophesies, strange powers and magic promises a thrilling ride. A must read!
Jenn (Booksessed)
If the events of the children's crusade (both actual and fictionalized) teach us anything, it's that children do not belong anywhere near a war. But what happens when 99 worlds are at war and a prophecy predicts that the only way to save them and protect the hundredth world, lie in the hands of five children? And what happens when those five children are insecure misfits, not exactly friends, and thrown together by unfortunate events in their lives?

That's the premise of Forts: Fathers and Sons,...more
Gerold Whittaker
Tommy and his brother live a difficult life: their mother died of cancer, their father, unable to cope with her death turned to alcohol. In his impaired state he starts abusing them. If that's not enough, they are soft targets for the school bully as well...

Then one day an incident happens during which Tommy - and a few other children - pass through to another world - a world in which the rules of the world they know do not apply. Then they find out that there is apparently a prophecy stating th...more
Lyndsay
I won this book through firstreads, thanks you thank you thank you! This was a great read, and a striking story. At times, it reminded me of Chronicles of Narnia, what with the going to another world. But it was really the coming of age story that made me think of it. You have 5 kids who literally tumble into a world where they are forced to deal with circumstances beyond their control and they become better and more mature people because of it. They find things out about themselves that help th...more
Bethany
Forts: Fathers and Sons takes place in Fillagrou, a once peaceful land now in the power of a war-loving dictator. Tommy Jarvis is human. He knows nothing about Fillagrou and its problems. Tommy has enough problems of his own, a dead mother, an abusive dad; he doesn’t need any more problems.
When Tommy and four other kids stumble across an entrance to Fillagrou, they discover they are a part of a prophecy. A prophecy to save everyone. But how can five children have that kind of power?
I’m surprise...more
Lisa is Busy Nerding
In a sentence or so: Tommy Jarvis is transported to an entirely different world that's been waiting for him, and his four unlikely companions, to save them all.

Life hasn't been easy for Tommy since his mother died. His dad isn't the same man, he gets beat up on the daily, and his little brother refuses to speak. On a weekend outing to the secret tree house, Tommy, his brother Nicky, and their former friend and neighbor Staci run into trouble with Donald the bully. Tommy and Donald get into a scu...more
Dana
I got this book through First Reads. I really would like to give it 4.5 stars, but I decided to give it five stars instead of four because the author drew me an awesome picture in the front of the book. Plus I really like the book. The reason I was considering giving it 4 stars is because the kids-saving-another-world plot has been done quite a bit. The story is uniquely done, though, and I really enjoyed reading it. Another thing I like about this book is that the ending is slightly more realis...more
Robert Kent
First Paragraph(s): A thousand years of peace had come to an abrupt and violent end. Off in the distance, trees that had stood eons longer than there have been inhabitants in this quiet, peaceful world collapsed to the ground. The thunderous boom resulting from the massive structures meeting their untimely demise echoed throughout the red forest. The creatures that called this very old, very simple place home felt tremors for miles in every direction. In response to the commotion, frightened gro...more
MaryAnn Bernal
I found “Forts, Fathers and Sons” to be a delightful story. The reader becomes immediately involved in the lives of the main characters before they are thrust upon a journey which forever changes their lives. Like Alice and her adventures through the looking glass, the children are caught up in the machinations of war and conquest as they try to find their way home. Alien creatures, prophesies, strange powers and magic promises a thrilling ride. A must read!
Margery Bloom
Poignant story about a boy who only learns his own worth when entering another world. People aren't always who they appear to be. Excellent YA fantasy, with a message about the effects of child abuse and the resilience of children.
Flora
Apr 04, 2011 Flora rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Flora by: Steven Novak
This book is a very well told Fantasy book for YA. I am looking forward to the rest of this series. I have this book on my Kindle. I have entered the contest to win a copy of this book for my 15 year old son.
Carmelo Valone
A great YA book and interesting premise. Usually fantasy books don't interest me but this one has some cool adult themes for everyone. I look forward to the next installments.
Ellie
EDIT: I've been thinking about this book and I realized something: This book should be a graphic novel, NOT a predominantly text novel. This author's strength is more in his art and the stories he tells through his art. I'd definitely prefer to see this book in graphic novel format than in its current form...

ORIGINAL REVIEW: So basically I'm stuck. The violence is a little excessive and so far (if this can be toned down, which I think it can), I think this would be a better book for tweens. Also...more
Readingtween
My Review -

This was a pretty good book. The very imaginative scenario and creatures were awesome.

The writing for Forts: Fathers and Sons honestly just wasn't great at times. It wasn't completely terrible but it seemed a little immature. But it wasn't the only thing that was immature. The characters were also immature. For example, one of the main characters was eleven years old, but, behaved like an eight year old.

The author sketched this inside my book!
Now, the flaws in the writing are made up...more
Easily Mused
With high points in Characterization and Originality, Steven Novak drew (no pun intended) me into his world with vivid descriptions and added illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. Each character is so strongly written, I couldn’t help but fall in love with most of them (excluding the Ochan race, of course). Novak has this amazing ability to make me feel bad for the abusive father and actually like the bully. I felt that sting of loss and the loneliness of separation, as I flipped throu...more
Melissa Benson
we have a New master storyteller for all ages. His name is Novak. a believable fantasy world with realistic characters who could have been any of us. regular people thrust into A most irregular situation. Brilliant, my friend. I
It's what my dreams are often made of.
Hailey Lampley
I tried to read this in September kind of didn't get into it. I will; however, to try to read this book again because I really don't like not finishing books.
Kysha
Kysha marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Shellie
Shellie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Steven Novak is the author of the Breadcrumbs For The Nasties series of novels, Forts, Goats Eat Cans, numerous children's books, and a number of online comics. He is an accomplished illustrator and has designed book covers for authors across the globe. He lives with his wife in southern California, has two cats, and apparently likes to stare at the sky dramatically in black and white photos. His...more
More about Steven Novak...
Megan (Breadcrumbs For The Nasties, #1) Goats Eat Cans Volume 1 Forts: Liars and Thieves Bloodboots: A Breadcrumbs For The Nasties Short Snow Man Is My Friend