Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)

Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian #4)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  4,307 ratings  ·  292 reviews
Louisiana homicide detective Kara Gillian is doing her best to cope with everything that's happened to her over the past year, all while s continuing to hone her skills as a demon summoner. But lately she's beginning to wonder if there's a little too much demon in her world. She has a demon for a roommate, the demonic lord Rhyzkahl is still interested in her for reasons sh...more
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Demon

Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
94th out of 625 books — 1,780 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
283rd out of 2,507 books — 15,920 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This may come as a complete shock to you guys, but I know a thing or two about urban fantasy. Not too much, mind you, but enough to recognize a good UF novel when I read one. Here’s what I can tell you: Diana Rowland is one of the best. Whenever I get my hands on her latest novel, I’m absolutely certain that I will enjoy it immensely.

Sins of the Demon picks up just a few weeks after the great discovery at the end of the third book. Now that she finally knows what he is, Kara would like nothing...more
Felicia
Bonnie
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Final Page Thoughts

*ahem* Excuse the language, but what the HELL kind of ending was that?! No, I’m sorry, that wasn’t an ending… that was more like a chapter ending, except my book must have been missing the subsequent pages. AHHH! What a cliffhanger. And now we have to wait a whole YEAR!? Is it available for pre-order yet?? Someone shoot me now. *Sobs*

Something that’s been ongoing in this series for a while, a bit of an issue with Kara, is resolv...more
Christina
Really? That's the cover? WOW that's awful! The original art for the first two books was beautiful & then book 3 had that comic book cheese art & this just looks like a doodle by some 15 year-old emo perv kid! If I didn't know how amazing Diana's writing was (aka new to the series) that art work would have me running in the other direction! Still looking forward to the book but damn that's a cheesy cover!

Okay now that I've read the book, the cover art is the only bad thing about it! I wo...more
Kelsey
Things I should not do: review this book immediately after reading it. That sort of thing colours your perceptions and prevents objectivity.

Things I am going to do any way: review this book immediately after reading it.

Holy mother of crud on a fish cracker, but I thought the last Demons book ended on a cliff hanger. I'd go and spoil it for you but nah - you should just go read it . If you liked the first three you'll like this one too - more demons (new and old!) more secrets, some answers, but...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Anytime I'm really pissed because the book ended in a cliffhanger, I know I loved the story. If I hate the cliffhanger, it means I cared about what was going on in the book to what to know what will happen next. This cliffhanger rivals only one other cliffhanger... Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between and the book was just as good.

I love this series. I love the characters. I WANT THE NEXT BOOK NOW!!!
Kitt
Absolutely love this series, but I hate cliffhanger endings more. -1 star
Natasha
I know already that not all my sentences are going to make sense. I'm literately vibrating with excitement, confusion, anger and sorrow. I'm excited with how fantastic this book was, confused with where the turn of events will take us, angry that it ended and sad that I have to wait a full year to find out what's to come. I mean, come on..I love a good cliffhanger, but that was just mean. Brilliant. But mean.

Okay, I'll try to make a somewhat normal review, although all I want to do is rant and...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
I always find it difficult to start a review for a book that I have mixed feelings about. I'm unsure of what I want to discuss first and I don't always know what to say when someone asks me if I enjoyed it.

I think I did. Mostly. Sort of.

I'm not sorry that I read it, but I'm not eager to initiate conversations about it with my book reading buddies either. So I guess that it ultimately falls into the "it was okay" category.

It was easy to transition myself back into the world that Rowland has crea...more
Lady Heather

HOLY. CLIFFHANGER. BATMAN!!!

**The only reason I'm not EXTREMELY freaking out about this ending, is because the next book in the series is being released in a couple of weeks...otherwise, I think I would be ranting**

This was by far my favorite book in the series. The Author's world, and character building has progressed wonderfully since the beginning of the series.

The writing, bantering between characters, and 'wicked' humor is what has kept me reading, and wanting more.

However, I have a confess...more
is mee... kissa
wow! check that cover out! that's freaky! is that skeleton head licking her face?
very interesting cover. i'm more curious about what it's hiding though.
come oooooooooooon more Rhyzkahl!

* * *

=( not as much Rhyzkahl as i would have liked. and that ending is just plain mean Diana Rowland!
Jessica
After the dramatic ending of Secrets of the Demon, Diana Rowland is back with a vengeance with her fourth Kara Gillian novel, Sins of the Demon, that serves to keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.

Despite all that has been thrown at her during the course of the past year, between murders with heavy demonic influence, her ties with a demon lord, and the discovery of another demon lord in hiding, Kara has managed to come out ahead. Unfortunately, someone is now trying to summ...more
Stacy
My Exact thoughts when SINS OF THE DEMON ended " Holy crap what just happened? NO you CANT END THERE." WOW WOW WOW. This is hard to write without spoilers but I will try super hard.

Kara is a fantastic lead character. I absolutely love all the police procedure stuff and investigating skills that Diana writes in. The world building is great, I love the different classes of demons and their descriptions. I have no problem picturing all of them and imagining them in our world. I was completely shock...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
*sputters* OMG! That ending!

Just.

Just..

OMG.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I hate cliffhangers and @#$%ing @#$% what a cliffhanger that was!

I think my head just exploded.
Rebecca
I love this series, but I'm getting annoyed at the cliffhanger endings.
Blodeuedd Finland
Omg, omg, omg, omg, omg! There I said it...I have to say more? But I already said it, omg! I raced through the whole book and then the end. I kicked myself for not having the next book, and then I ordered it at once. Now I have to wait DAYS, DAYS I tell you for it to arrive. I am dying here. I am dying for that ending was brutal. BRUTAL. If I was not a fangirl of Rowland I certainly became one now. And Kara Gillian turned into one of my fav UF series around.

Ok here is where I tell you something...more
Lannister
I was really looking forward to reading this book and it didn't disappoint. This series just gets better and better. I love the Urban Fantasy/Police Procedural crossover vibe that the stories have, and I do enjoy the humour in them. Kara is such a likeable heroine. She isn't one of those super tough, kill-everything-in-her-path type of UF women, and she seems far more believable because of it.

There are plenty of mysteries throughout the book, as Kara and her friends try to figure out who appears...more
Claire
Sins Of The Demon is the fourth book in the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland. Please be warned that there will be spoilers for the earlier books in this review.

Detective Kara Gillian works for the Beaulac police force, she also summons demons These are not demons as you may think of them, they are not creatures from hell they are in fact beings from another plane of existence. Kara became a summoner when she was a teenager, she was taught by her Aunt Tessa after Kara became orphaned. Through...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
4.8

Awesome. Just purely awesome.

The beginning was a little slow but absolutely worth it as everything adds up. Not necessarily nicely (because it's Kara Gillian's life after all) but it all comes together.

Can't really give a review because this is brand spanking new and there's no way that a Spoiler cut is going to stop me from spoiling something.

Needless to say, there are a lot of things answered but every single answer seems to kick up new questions. There is a declaration that made me squeal...more
Yasmeen (Yaz)
This series just gets better and better even though we don't see much of Rhyzkahl, there is so much going on that he's not noticeably absent.

We learn more about Zack and Ryan, and frustratingly, information is doled out in increments leaving you wanting more. The mystery is connected to Kara's past giving us insight into the murder of her grandmother long ago.

The book is a rollercoaster from start to finish and keeps you on the edge of your seat, with the requisite cliffhanger ending, inducing...more
Mara
Hell, hell, hell!
1) This is an hell of a story: less procedural cop, more darker UF.
2) Hell: more denizen of it than ever before, more detailed. (But less demon lord.)
3) What the hell? If you dislike cliff endings, wait before buying. This book ends with a huge bang (both because of what remains uncovered and what's revealed). Honestly, I hate to know I'll have to wait a full year before knowing what's going on.

Jules (Never enough time to read)
Another great instalment, but it does come with a rather brutal cliffhanger- just as well I already have the next book.

So far the series doesn't show any sign of slowing down, Kara is definitely one of my favourite urban fantasy kickass characters.
Marsha
Jan 04, 2012 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult lovers of Paranormal Mysteries
What can I say, I am a sucker for the Kara Gillian series. Diana Rowland knows how to weave an incredible tale of mystery, intrigue, suspense and just pure fun! She creates such a wonderful world, that I want to book and ticket and visit Beaulac, LA. "Excuse me cabbie. Please drop me off at Beaulac P.D." I just loved "Sins of the Demon" and the cover is incredible.

Lord Rhyzkahl, Kara's demon lover wants to protect her from escalating demon attacks by providing her with a demon body guard/ roomma...more
mlady_rebecca
I read a handful of other reviews before sitting down to write this so I'll start with two points other people brought up.

1) I like the cover. It's not what you'd think from a first glance - no new tentacled demon, but it seems accurate having read the book. And, no I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen reading a book with that cover in public. Make people wonder. It's good to be mysterious. *g*

2) There is a cliffhanger, but it's not a "leave the main plot hanging" cliffhanger. The murder mystery...more
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Je suis toujours contente de retrouver Kara Gillian dans une nouvelle de ses aventures. Diana Rowland est toujours un maître dans l’art de créer des intrigues qui nous gardent en haleine tout au long de chacune de ses histoires. Celle-ci ne déroge pas à la coutume.

Kara doit une fois de plus faire face aux conséquences de son association avec son démon. Mais même avec un garde du corps qui sort de l’ordinaire, sa protection reste toujours assez compliquée. I...more
Steph
If I had to sum up this book in one sentence, I would have to say it's fairly good, but truly never satisfies. The writing and editing is in-line with the rest of the series, and the pace was decent enough, so what went wrong? This book felt more like a filler novel. Yes, we learn a little more about a couple of the characters, but not much more than that, other than a mystery subplot that's predictable and distracting from the main series plot. My biggest gripe is with the huge cliffhanger endi...more
Meigan
I should take off a star for the complete lack of demon sex. The previous book had a small amount, much less than its predecessors. This book had zero. A few token mentions, but that was it. That was one of the draws that hooked me on this series. A demon lord who has no qualms about slaughtering summoners, yet Rhyzkahl, the main demon lord in this series, is drawn to Kara, his summoner, enough that they have relations. That was an interesting aspect, but it seems like Rowland is phasing it out....more
•Erin• (Paperback Stash)
Sins of the Demon is the fourth novel in an Urban Fantasy series that combines police procedurals with other realms, demon summoning with crime mysteries.

In this sequel Kara is still trying to figure out the mystery of Ryan while fighting alongside him trying to save her tail from being summoned. Creepy. The summoner has become the summoned, and she’s determined to avoid being sucked into the demon realm while silencing a serial killer’s spree in our realm. Meanwhile she has a new demon bodyguar...more
Holly
Ok, I have to start with WTF with that ending?! Come on! Now that thats out of the way. Kara is back to work investigating another murder of a person from a not so pleasant part of her past. Not so soon after that yet another person from her past shows up dead. Meanwhile Kara is trying to avoid being summoned to the best of her ability, with the help of her demon roommate bodyguard of course. Ryan, Zack and Jill come to help her as much as possible, while Ryan still has his head up his ass and K...more
Well, that was a rather cruel cliffhanger ending. This series has been enjoyable, although started to feel a little bit tired in the crime investigation department. However, what has been drawing me to this series is the slow reveal of how Kara and the others are much more intertwined with the demon world than we first suspect. This book takes things way up a notch in every respect, from the crime mystery to the backstories to the introduction of some really great characters. I still have some p...more
How many? 16 61 Dec 31, 2012 10:11PM
Kara Gillian: Sins of the Demon - Discuss **Spoilers** 1 15 Sep 08, 2012 03:26PM
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4)
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • The Isis Collar (Blood Singer, #4)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Killing Rites (The Black Sun's Daughter, #4)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Eye of the Tempest (Jane True, #4)
852078
Diana Rowland worked as a bartender, a blackjack dealer, a pit boss, a street cop, a detective, a computer forensics specialist, a crime scene investigator, and a morgue assistant, which means that she's seen a lot of weird crap. She won the marksmanship award in her Police Academy class, has a black belt in Hapkido, has handled numerous dead bodies in various states of decomposition, and can't ro...more
More about Diana Rowland...
Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) My Life as a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie, #1) Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2) Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3) Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)