Start by marking “Midnight” as Want to Read:
Midnight

Midnight

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,688 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
The citizens of Moonlight Cove, California, are changing. Some are losing touch with their deepest emotions. Others are surrendering to their wildest urges. And the few who remain unchanged are absolutely terrified-if not brutally murdered in the dead of night.Dean Koontz, the bestselling master of suspense, invites readers into the shocking world of Moonlight Cove-where f ...more
Paperback, Reissue Edition, 432 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight, please sign up.

James Love Honestly, Dean Koontz is tame in comparison to what I see on CNN. I didn't get into horror fiction until around 1987 when Stephen King's novel It came…moreHonestly, Dean Koontz is tame in comparison to what I see on CNN. I didn't get into horror fiction until around 1987 when Stephen King's novel It came out. But I do remember a lot of the girls in my high school class read lots of Dean Koontz, John Saul, Stephen King and V. C. Andrews.(less)

Alejandro
Dec 28, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, paranormal, novel
After my happy encounter of the great author Dean Koontz in the novel Phantoms (see my review of that one here.) I knew that I want to read more books by him. My second novel was this one, Midnight. By then, I still wasn't able to read on English yet, so that novel I read on Spanish then. At that moment I didn't know much about which novels to choose from Dean Koontz, also at that time, I depended of which titles were translated and available in the local book stores. Happily, my second choice w ...more
Elli Jo
Jun 23, 2008 Elli Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interestin in suspense & sci-fi
This story grabbed my attention from the first three pages. As I read on, I found that all I wanted to do was keep my nose in the book. I have read a few of Koontz' other books, but none had captured me like this.

When I had gotten about half way through the book, beginning to understand what is going on here, I started thinking about it constantly. The book honestly scared me to the point of nightmares - but I would not put it down.

If you are into suspense, horror, and sci-fi I completely recomm
Greg
Dec 26, 2007 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The only Dean Koontz book I ever read. I don't remember a thing about this book, but I do remember that reading it turned me off of ever wanting to try another Dean Koontz book.
Matt Garcia
Jul 25, 2016 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is classic Koontz. Strong heroine/ female protagonist, super smart dog, sociopathic/megalomaniacal antagonist, science gone horribly wrong, a group of people have to save the day, blossoming romance between seemingly opposite characters, a small town, California setting and a good yet, corny ending lol.
The blending of horror and science fiction is superb. Koontz is so good at mixing the two genres with a dash of thriller/suspense to tie it all together.
The creatures that are in this book
Mike (the Paladin)
I want to comment on this because I really didn't care for it, but my late wife loved this and some other Koontz books that I don't care for (at least as much). So in honer of her I gave it 3 stars recognizing that there will be people who like some of this writer's books while others don't. I note that many of the ones I don't care for both my wife and daughter like. But, I can't really build on that as my daughter and I liked The Taking, and my wife didn't...sigh. Go figure. All I can suggest ...more
Brett
Mar 08, 2011 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review contains spoilers. This novel by Dean Koontz sports a lot of Koontz's usual tropes. Among them are: the good-hearted protagonist that has experienced a loss, the angelic and unrealistically mature child, the unnecessary romance between main characters in the midst of mayhem, the remorseless mad scientist, the cute dog, and the easily predictable horror/sci-fi premise. Reading Koontz is too often like reading a screenplay for a March release Hollywood film--just very little complexity or s ...more
Thomas Strömquist
One of my favorite of Koontz's. Again primarily for the beginning and first part of the story. Here, he again manages to tell a good sci-fi/horror mix without too much focus on tooth-achingly good protagonists and cliched bad guys. This one is very recommended.
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is one of Dean Koontz's earlier novels and originally written in 1989. I was only 19 when I originally read it, boy, that makes me feel old! I'm reread it on unabridged audio recently. Despite its age it still holds up pretty well as a straight up horror novel where the citizens of a nice little town turn into horrifying blood-lusty creatures all thanks to a power-hungry geeky rich madman. Come to think of it, this is even scarier stuff in this day and age . . .

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot an
J.S. Bailey
Apr 06, 2012 J.S. Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Koontz's better novels--totally creepy, and totally awesome. Plus, the afterword at the end made me giggle.

The reason this novel resonated so strongly with me is because I can identify with the residents of Moonlight Cove who were losing touch with their emotions. There was a time a few years ago when I suffered from extreme depression and anxiety. I was prescribed an antidepressant, and lo and behold, the depression went away!

But so did everything else. I felt no joy. No happines
Matt Barker
Feb 28, 2010 Matt Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another good read from Koontz. Grips you from the beginning and gets stranger and more intriguing from there.

Publisher's Summary

In picturesque Moonlight Cove, California, inexplicable deaths occur, and spine-tingling terror descends to this edge of paradise. Growing numbers of residents harbor a secret so dark it is sure to cost even more lives.

Tessa Lockland comes to town to probe her sister's seemingly unprompted suicide. Independent and clever, she meets up with Sam Booker, an underc
Corey
Aug 11, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed my attention right from the beginning! The last really good book by Dean Koontz that I'd read is Watchers, and I loved that one. I just think it's incredible how one author can put so many different emotions into his books, to me, that's a good writer. There are times he's got you on the edge of your seat or biting your nails in horror, and times when he's got you laughing out loud.

I had read a lot of the reviews on Midnight and I see that some people loved it, others not so mu
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This was the February 2011 Group Read in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz Group
My second time reading the book.

A favorite quote:
"Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in it
Lori
Sep 02, 2007 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually do not care for the science fiction type, but this book was creepy and made me think about what really goes on out in the world. It is like a big brother feeling.

It has been awhile since I read this, but the main character is investigating weird happenings of a town. Meanwhile a little girl escapes her fate. They meet up eventually through this mass of events (so pay attention)and in the end the mystery is solved. It is not real, but it makes you think what about what people will do g
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Weird, weird, weird. Never will forget the part where one of the characters ends up bonding physically to his computer. Ick! My least favorite Koontz. Could be that I chose this to read for my 11th grade English class because my evil teacher wouldn't let me read White Fang by Jack London, which is much better, because he deemed it a children's book. So I picked this edgy, 'adult' book. Yes, I'm a little bitter.
Michael
Jun 30, 2016 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Siobhan
May 30, 2016 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is yet another wonderful Koontz read.

I say this with most of my Koontz reads: my views are probably somewhat bias, considering how he is my favourite author. Oh, he is far from perfect. There are times when I have disliked (never hated, merely disliked) what he has written. But as a whole, he has rarely done me wrong. Thus, whenever I see a Koontz book I have yet to read I grab it. Such being the case with Midnight.

I’m not sure when or why, but as of late I’ve been noticing that Koontz’s o
Kestaa
Apr 19, 2011 Kestaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book three-and-a-half stars since it was better than average, but not something I'd go out of my way to recommend. But it's closer to four stars than three, so four it is.

For the most part Midnight is a pretty solid horror story. It was written in 1989, so the technology is almost laughably outdated - at least one of the computers is so high-tech that it can boot up without a floppy disk, other computers are described as being "upper end, hard-disk systems", and several
Rebekkila
I read this book when I was in my teens and loved it, what the hell was wrong with me?
Maicie
I couldn't get into this book although I loved the 2 or 3 page afterward. I'm in a reading slump so this review is only as accurate as the frame of mind I am in today. Anyway, I think the story would have been better had it been a couple hundred pages shorter.

Lots of action, LOTS of detail, good vs.evil, smart dog, typical Koontz style. Not a bad thing, really.
Brian Taylor
Dec 29, 2015 Brian Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book years ago. I liked it then and I still like it today. There are some things the author does extremely well (tension, building to an enjoyable climax). Others, like the 11-year-old girl who doesn't act anything like an 11-year-old girl, he doesn't do well. Still, an enjoyable read.
Annette
I got a bad first impression of this book. Nasty, scary, creepy things attack straight out of the gate before the reader even has a chance to get her feet wet, and as I read Koontz for his plots, characters, and philosophical meanderings rather than his horror I almost decided to put it down. But I was glad I stuck with it in the end because it did contain some interesting insights on the human condition.
Plot-wise this is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde updated and writ large, or perhaps more accuratel
Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Jennifer Cooper
Jul 26, 2009 Jennifer Cooper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty terrible. I didn't expect it to be a great piece of modern literature- I picked it up expecting something quick, fun, and brainless. Unfortunately, even though my expectations were low, they still weren't met. Meh.

Midnight Cove is a seemingly-idyllic community on the California coast. It's a lovely, close-knit town, which has benefitted financially and technologically from a local tech company. Of course, since this is a Dean Koontz novel, the company's founder is an evil megalom
Cathi95
Feb 09, 2016 Cathi95 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
(Mystery/Horror 1989) I suppose what says it all is that I just picked up this book to write my review to find that I couldn't remember how the plot went at all. I had to skim through to remember. I have it now, but it didn't stay with me nine days, since I finished it on the 31st. It wasn't one of his best, but wasn't bad. Something to read when you are trying not to think too hard, I guess.
Britta Böhler
May 05, 2016 Britta Böhler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016, kindle
I read this book for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge (task #1: read a horror book). I've never read Dean Koontz before, nor do I read many horror books and the challenge seemed a good reason to finally remedy that. I picked Midnight because it sounded interesting, and was labeled a cross-genre between horror, crime novel & science fiction.
I had high hopes for the book but unfortunately, it didnt work for me. I quite liked the writing style (although the description of houses, trees and t
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Debbie
Sep 02, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book when I first got back into reading, I enjoyed it very much, I began getting into the Dean Koontz then took a break, perhaps time to go back now. here is the blurb about the book I took off the website
"The citizens of Moonlight Cove are changing. Some are losing touch with their deepest emotions. Others are surrendering to their wildest urges. And the few who remain unchanged are absolutely terrified—if not brutally murdered in the dead of night. Enter the shocking wo
Ryan Mishap
I devoured Koontz and King back in middle school and part of high school. In retrospect, I could have spent my time on better books, but these chillers were an escape from things I didn't want to think about, especially at night when I couldn't sleep and my mind twisted my perceptions nauseatingly.
I'm not saying you should bother reading these, especially now that Koontz is openly being Christian and Stephen King thinks he is a writer, but I have a fondness for some of these books. If you are
Scott Utecht
Jul 31, 2014 Scott Utecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off slow, but picked up by the middle. One of Dean Koontzs best
FDeroche
Mar 24, 2015 FDeroche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
New York Times Number 1 Best Seller, February 1989 (hawes.com). A horror theme, Moonhawk Project in Moonlight Cove by Dr. Thomas Shaddock to change the town to his "new people". Chief Coman Wallins begins to help but stopped. The mystery's lead characters; wheelchair veteran bound, Harry Talbort, seeing cremations, Sam Booker (FBI) finding bones, Tressa Lockland looking for a missing sister and Christine Foster (11) running from her parents converted into "new people". As the end, have they stop ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Midnight by Dean Koontz (1989) 1 8 Dec 11, 2015 06:46PM
Language/sexual content in Koontz books? 5 22 Feb 04, 2015 03:30PM
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Dragonfly
  • Invasion
  • The Unwanted

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in its realm, life seemed to have more possibilities.” 198 likes
“In this world only the paranoid survive.” 78 likes