Start by marking “Monday to Friday Man” as Want to Read:
Monday to Friday Man

Monday to Friday Man

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,227 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
With her heart broken, Gilly Brown finds herself alone in London with only her little dog Ruskin for company. It's time to move on. On a friend's advice, she looks for a lodger, a Monday to Friday one, and eventually finds just the right man - Jack Baker. But what exactly does Jack get up to at the weekends?
Published July 1st 2011 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about Monday to Friday Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monday to Friday Man

Namratha
Nov 23, 2011 Namratha rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This was a book that I purchased on a whim. When I’m let loose in a bookstore, I suffer from the ‘magpie-attracted-to-shiny-baubles’ syndrome. Many a time have I picked up a predictable piece of Chick-Lit on the sheer....urggg (I can’t believe I’m saying this)...cuteness quotient of the Cover-Art. Usually I pay for my sins when the book turns out to be a shallow no-brainer.

Monday to Friday Man had an adorable (seriously, shoot me right now!) cover. The summary did a slap-bang of summing up the
Anne Brooke
Aug 01, 2014 Anne Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-fiction
This is a pretty decent example of comic romance though it does take a while to warm up. The female characters are far stronger than the male ones who aren't terribly interesting, sadly. Personally I would have preferred less airtime for Jack and Guy, and a greater focus on Gilly's friends and her marvellous boss - I think that would have made for a far more gripping read.

That said, aspects I very much enjoyed and which were very well written were Gilly's relationship with her twin brother and h
Petra Miocic
„ Grad treba napustiti tek kada si iscrpio sve njegove mogućnosti.“ Ili kada je grad iscrpio sve tvoje mogućnosti. U svakom slučaju, pravi trenutak, netom prije no što se razočaranje pretvori u očajanje, je ključan kako na nekoć dragu i poznatu panoramu ne bismo gledali pogledom koji ubija. Zašto otići? Zbog novog početka, zbog utapanja u novoj sredini ili izranjanja iz stare, da zaboravimo ili se ponovno prisjetimo…Razlozi za odlazak su, zapravo, jednaki razlozima za ostanak. A što ćemo odlučit ...more
Oct 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Monday to Friday Man was one of those books that I saw on the kindle free download chart. It had a number of good reviews so I thought I’d give it a try.

It follows Gilly (with a ‘G’) who is reeling after her fiancé left her weeks before their wedding and she is at a cross roads in her life. She’s about to hit 35 and she’s not sure what she wants to do.

After much soul searching she decides to stay in London and advertise for a Monday to Friday-er – ie: Someone to rent her spare room on a Monday
Emma-Louise
Sep 23, 2012 Emma-Louise rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book because it was at the top of the Kindle chart and selling at 20p. I also liked the look of the front cover, so I thought, why not?!

I am so glad that I did. Recently, I have been very lucky on the great novel front. Everything I've read recently (from authors previously unknown to me) have been great. This was no exception.

From the beginning you are drawn to the quirky main character Gilly, you just want her to have some luck in her life and for her to move on and be happy.
Jessica
Apr 21, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
I had to order this book from the Book Depository in the UK because it isn't available for purchase in Canada. I am so glad I ordered it.

It was a light read but very entertaining. I loved the characters (especially Gilly with a G) and I think the cover is adorable. I wish there was a sequel because I want to read more about these characters! I will absolutely be looking for more books by Alice Peterson in the future.
Tina
Sep 28, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
Easy going, likeable read. Nothing earth shattering, or heart wrenching to report. But kept me occupied for a couple of days. Perhaps a bit too far down the "chic lit" genre for me, need something a bit more gritty to get my teeth into now.
Tommy
Sep 15, 2012 Tommy rated it really liked it
Read the review on my review site here: http://justanotherbooknerd.tumblr.com...

Some of you may have seen my text post a couple of days ago where I told you all that I had had the wonderful good fortune of being sent a free book to read via a free giveaway by the site goodreads, of which I am a member.

Now I have to say, given the choice, I wouldn’t normally pick this sort of book out of a line up, but given as how the powers that be had ordained that I should be one of the fortunate souls to rec
Glasgowgirl
Sep 11, 2012 Glasgowgirl rated it it was ok
I thought I was going to enjoy this book, and actually the story was really quite good (particularly the back story about the little sister Megan), but what did my head in was the lead character 'Gilly with a G'. I have never read a book with such an irritating, shallow and immature lead character. A refernce to her either turning 35 or being 35 is included on every second page, and I couldn't stand her 'woe is me attitde' when in actual fact, most people would give their right arm for her kind ...more
Amanda
Jun 17, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
I wasn't too keen on the written style of this novel. It jumped around from thing to thing, and some of the information we were given seemed utterly erroneous when looking at the particular scene it was given in. I also wasn't keen on the main character - she seemed so flighty, and how on earth was she able to live the lifestyle she had (going out all the time for food and drinks in central London) on the salary of what seemed like a part-time shop assistant? Not realistic, and not engaging.
Magda
Jan 24, 2016 Magda rated it did not like it
You know what to expect in terms of a story when you pick up a book like this, but oh dear, I couldn't help but wonder if it was the authors own prejudices that she used to create her character or just a collection of dull clichés cobbled together. (35 on the shelf over and over again, long legged, beautiful, flat shoes, dull underpants...) Either way I cared not a jot about whatever her name was or the wee dog or the friend oh or any bloody one. Disappointing.
Natasha Chowdory
Aug 29, 2012 Natasha Chowdory rated it it was amazing
Against my will I enjoyed this. What I liked was how realistic it was, and also the older age group. Meaning that over the age 30 isn't so different from being under 30, aside from the fact that people have children instead of talking about having children. There's a lot of serious issues tackled in here, but done in such (for lack of a better term) grown up way that I found myself being drawn into the lives of the characters. I did like that everyone wasn't perfect and especially the way that e ...more
Karen MacMillan
Sep 09, 2012 Karen MacMillan rated it really liked it
A lovely, light holiday read. The author made the characters likeable and I especially liked the 'flashbacks' to the childhood of the main character, Gilly. They gave enough information about her relationship with her twin brother, their loss of their disabled younger sister Megan and the subsequent 'loss' of their mother to make the character real and believable.

The ending was somewhat predictable but the journey was enjoyable! This is the second book I have read by Alice Petersen and I will c
Books and Authors UK
May 29, 2015 Books and Authors UK rated it it was amazing
Who is this Monday to Friday man? I thought when I picked it up in the store that day. And what was he up to? The book had me guessing all the way until the end, and all the things I guessed were wrong. I was glad not to have guessed right or I would have said it was predictable. From reading the blurb I loved the concept.
Gilly is a nice enough with a few insecurities that most people have at that age who hopes for a light at the end of the tunnel. She’s busy trying to hold down a normal job se
Miłośniczka Książek
May 05, 2014 Miłośniczka Książek rated it really liked it
Shelves: obyczajowe
Autorką powieści "Mężczyzna od poniedziałku do piątku" jest była tenisistka Alice Peterson. Mimo tego, iż książka ta jest którąś z kolei w dorobku pisarki, jakoś tak się złożyło, że prędzej nie miałam styczności z jej twórczością. Czytelnicy bardzo pozytywnie wyrażają się o pisanych przez nią historiach twierdząc m.in, że są ciepłe, pełne humoru oraz poruszają ważne tematy codziennego życia. Przyznam, że nabrałam ochoty, aby przekonać się o tym osobiście, dlatego też mając pod ręką "Mężczyznę od ...more
Tracy
Jul 31, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Picked this book up for 20p from amazon. Did not expect very much of it at all..... I was in for a shock! I loved it! A very easy read with lots of lovely characters (Loved Gilly with a g and her dog walking friends!)

Ok the story was a little predictable maybe as it is a typical chick lit book but I was gripped to this and couldn't put it down. Would definetly look into more books by this author.
Michelle Carl
Jul 03, 2014 Michelle Carl rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Since her fiancé left her just weeks before their wedding, Gilly Brown’s been stuck. Her life is nothing but her temporary shopgirl job, visiting her brother and his family, and taking her dog Ruskin to meet up with their dog-walking group. Gilly knows it’s time for a change. So when an old friend suggests she get a “Monday to Friday” lodger, she thinks that might be just what she needs. It’ll help pay the bills and perhaps give her some company while also giving her space when he goes back home ...more
Mandy
May 09, 2014 Mandy rated it liked it
minor spoilers!

it's a tough one. I quite liked it but at times I was struggling to get through it, the whole Monday to Friday man story, he pretty much took a back seat and his big secret was naff, all that build up for that? the main story seemed to be her sister. which was well written, but it was too well written compared to the rest of the story and how all things had a happy resolve. like oh turned out I was never in love with him, err what?! I also found that she had a habit of jumping fro
Louise
Jul 27, 2012 Louise rated it it was ok
typical chick lit, and I dont say that in a bad way, sometimes its good to read something where you know how its going to end on the first page, and not very much is a surprise... and there are so many cliches...
Marsha Jones
Sep 13, 2012 Marsha Jones rated it really liked it

Got this book for 69p and it was a bargain!
Really good read. The characters became like friends! good heartwarming chick lit and a great story with strong characters.
Christina N.
Aug 06, 2014 Christina N. rated it it was ok
Shelves: average-books
Hmm...I borrowed this book from the library, and thankfully it wasn't bought. It was okay, the plot was cute, but sometiems all too prdictable. I felt like the whole story and its characters generally lacked a certain depth. As a reader, i want to see a lot more than literally bad action and good action. The male lead, which I forgot his name (the one with the dog) was cute, but I would have loved to have more insight about him (his family, past etc). But instead what i felt was like he was a pa ...more
Jemidar
Aug 23, 2012 Jemidar marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

This book has knocked that "50 Shades" book from the top spot of Bestselling Kindle books on Amazon UK, so I just had to see what it was like ;-).
Judy
Nov 16, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
Knew it was Guy at the onset..
Hannah Howard
Sep 09, 2013 Hannah Howard rated it it was amazing
amazing book with a brilliant twist
Shalini Boland
Dec 08, 2012 Shalini Boland rated it really liked it
A light fun read. Really enjoyed it.
Hasna
Nov 09, 2014 Hasna rated it it was amazing
I've been thinking about this book a little while, then came the time when I decided to give it a go.. aaand... I'm really pleased I've taken the chance.. Alice's way to tell the story is like she's telling me herself. Gilly's story flew smoothly, happiness and sadness take turn, we can peek in to Gilly's childhood to understand how Gilly became who she is now. It looks shallow from the blurb, but actually it doesn't.. it dwelves on heavy matter with no heavy way.. I really love it, and look for ...more
Leah
Mar 18, 2013 Leah rated it liked it
When I saw Monday To Friday Man on Amazon it appealed to me immediately. The title, the cover, the synopsis but most importantly, the dogs. I love dogs. I have two of my own and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I love books about dogs, and it seemed Monday To Friday Man would be filled with them as Gilly, the main character is part of a dog-walking circle. I was pleased when Alice herself got in touch and asked if I’d like to review her book and I eagerly accepted and I couldn’t wait to dive ...more
Julischka
Jun 09, 2012 Julischka rated it really liked it
Gilly ist 34 und wurde gerade zwei Wochen vor der Hochzeit von ihrem Verlobten verlassen. Da viele ihrer Freunde mittlerweile auf dem Land leben, möchte sie auch gern aufs Land ziehen, doch der Makler, den sie konsultiert, ist ein alter Bekannter, der findet, daß sie noch nicht reif fürs Landleben ist.
Er rät ihr dazu, einen Untermieter zu suchen, der allerdings nur von Montags bis Freitags bei ihr wohnt.
Gilly freundet sich mit diesem Gedanken an, registriert sich auf einer Vermitllungsseite und
Bookevin
Jul 12, 2013 Bookevin rated it it was amazing
Full review: http://iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com/2...

Why you would love this:
Introducing, my new favourite author, Alice Peterson! Whooooo! I adored By My Side so I knew I had to read Alice's previous ones. So I was really lucky to be given the chance to review her previous books, which were published by Alice, Monday to Friday Man and Ten Years On (review to come!).

Monday to Friday Man follows the story of Gilly Brown, a thirty-four year old Londoner whose fiancé dumped her two weeks before her
Big Book Little Book
Due to the absolute bargain price for this on Amazon, along with it’s title and description, it was an easy ‘click to add to basket’ moment! This is a fun and easy to read chick-lit offering which I read over just a few evenings.
Gilly is a very likeable character. She is still getting over the shock of being jilted and trying to make a new life for herself that isn’t dependent on being with that ‘special other person’ the whole time. Her dog walking friends that she meets in the park every day,
Free Books, .99 &...: SIGNED COPY of Monday To Friday Man 1 7 Dec 04, 2011 11:39AM
  • Unsuitable Men
  • Summer With My Sister
  • California Dreamers
  • Killer Heels
  • The Half-life of Hannah
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
  • You Drive Me Crazy
  • The Greatest Love Story of All Time
  • The Summer Season
  • Operation Sunshine
  • Watch Over Me
At the age of eighteen Alice had been awarded a tennis scholarship to America when she experienced pain in her right hand. It was rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and she hasn’t picked up a tennis racket since, a sadness that shall always be with her. The theme of disability features in her fiction, but there is nothing gloomy about Alice or her work. Rather this gives her fiction the added dimension of ...more
More about Alice Peterson...

“Being with the wrong person is even more lonely than being on your own.” 1 likes