The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5 (The Story of Saiunkoku #5)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne’er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei falls ill an...more
Published November 1st 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 26th 2010)

May
Drat! Don't you simply hate it that Goodreads still hasn't incorporated 1/2 stars into its ratings system?

Anyway, this book is more of 2 1/2 stars for me as opposed to 3 stars. The problem with this volume is the introduction of yet another male character. There is already too many characters with storylines that don't necessarily seem to be going anywhere. Most of the men appear to be in love with Saiunkoku which is all fine and dandy, but she is really oblivious to all of their attention. I st...more
Estara
Natalie
Ok, where to begin . . . .

Well, I will start by saying that this review will go between volumes 1-5. If anybody knows any online site that goes even further than volume 5, let me know.

Anyway, I guess I should say that as sad as this is I'm still having problems with their names. I can tell the difference between characters but it's just that some names are so similar that when their names are mentioned I'm thinking, who?

Going into this series, I thought I was going to hate it. The idea that this...more
Jeannette
This series is getting much too long with too many men after the same girl. I should check beforehand, because these dating-sim mangas don't have much staying power.
Vani
very cute!
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Diana Padilla
Diana Padilla marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Ayumu Shini
Ayumu Shini marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Tynan
Tynan marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Michelle Bohnen
Michelle Bohnen marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kirra
Kirra added it
Jun 19, 2014
Lilly Styles
Lilly Styles marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
  • A Bride's Story 02
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 7
  • Basara, Vol. 26
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 08
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 06 (Arata: The Legend, #6)
Also known as 由羅 カイリ
More about Kairi Yura...
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6