Start by marking “You Went Away: A Novella” as Want to Read:
You Went Away: A Novella

You Went Away: A Novella

"You went away" is set during the Second World War in 1942, and like most of his fiction is played out in Ontario. The benighted couple are in a hemorrhaging marriage. Graeme is an officer in the RCAF but no gallant hero. He’s a broody sort, a womanizer and an alcoholic, a nasty mess. Professionally that means his superiors won’t let him near an aircraft. Otherwise, his di ...more
247 pages
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about You Went Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Went Away

Daniel Kukwa
Jan 18, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-lit
Its greatest achievement is that it manages to tell such a lovely, heart-breaking historical romance in so short a page count. Hurray for the art of being concise! Casablanca on a budget!
Maria Stevenson
Oct 12, 2016 Maria Stevenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeanette
Dec 16, 2012 Jeanette rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
Graeme is living under the shadow of his brother and his father's heroism. Michael, Mi, his wife, is living under the shadow of his alcoholism and infidelities. Their son, Matthew, is living under the shadow of all the shadows. Graeme is flying a desk in the middle of World War II, bouncing from air base to air base and slowly, their entwined lives fall to pieces.

This was actually the second time I had read this book all the way through, but somehow, I had forgotten it completely. It was an enjo
Carly Drake
Apr 03, 2013 Carly Drake rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
This book was beautiful - a nice introduction to Findley. I heard so much about him during my high school years but I don't think I ever encountered his work directly. When I saw this book in a second-hand bookstore near my house, I had to scoop it up. Its premise was right up my alley: An air force gentleman swoops in to woo a woman and her son after her absentee husband goes off the deep end? That's dramatic. I'm in.

In many ways this book lived up to my high expectations of the great Findley.
TrudyAn
I found the storyline’s premise interesting - the creation of a story based upon a group of old photos of unknown origin. I have enjoyed other books by this author, but this one did not live up to my expectations. The plot and the characters were unimaginative, and the writing style was distracting at times. The only reason I finished reading it was because it was short, and I was hopeful something interesting might take place. Unfortunately, I found the entire book unremarkable.
Marg
Nov 30, 2007 Marg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book imagined from a box of old photos puchased at a flea market. A pitiful story of a family with a selfish husband, a wife who tries to win his love, and their unfortunate son. Beatifully written, but it is hard to sympathize with any of the characters save the son. A very short read (a novella) so if you don't like it, it'll be over soon!
Matthew Murphy
I like Timothy Findley, but he uses the device of a narrator imagining the lives of a novel's protagonists from old photographs taken from a box from time to time, and I hate that device. Here it used to bad effect to start off a ho-hum coming-of-age story set in Toronto in the Second World War. Meh.
Susan Armstrong
Sep 07, 2015 Susan Armstrong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finley is a master of time, character, environment. Here is sparse writing set during World War Two illuminating the rigidity of gender roles of that time and the erosion of grief on people's character and ability to truly live. Every character held me in their inner world. I loved this book.
Darren
Findley has been one of my favorite writers for years. We should all be proud as Canadians to call him our own. My wife bought me an autographed copy of this book a few years ago and its one of my favorite possessions .
Liana
Jan 31, 2015 Liana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? It's TIFF. I adore him. Haven't read anything of his in years, and this was a lovely reintroduction. Rarely have I read an author so adept at depicting what it's like to be a kid. Last of the Crazy People was his first, brilliant example.
Sara
Dec 02, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sigh It's TIF, what can I say. He brings to life some of those people you always see in photographs, abandoned in anitique shops. Had to force myself to put it down last night so as to get some sleep.
Theresa
WWII, unfaithful alcoholic father, daughter killed, son trying to grow up, wife trying to hold marriage together, Trenton Air Base. Very beautifully written as only Findley can. Enjoyed descriptions of Air Base Trenton as an ex mil who served there twice; some are accurate, some not.
Kevin Gallan
a very good book about a family in emotional trouble
Grandma Jo
Characters were unpleasant and Did not give a hoot about any of them!
Chris Mcmanaman
I loved this book. I remember finishing it and saying this was a great book. A quick rainy day book. It was kinda sad.
Linda
The more I read, the more I enjoyed the book. The story takes place during the war in Canada. Very well written and enlightning.
Taha Brahim
roman attachant, mais un peu noir
Debbie
Aug 09, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great concept (old photos tell a story) and great novel.
Caleigh
Feb 19, 2011 Caleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So beautiful and sad. Probably very true. I love the idea of creating a story based on old photos - maybe I'll try that.
D
D rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Lawren
Lawren rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Cheryl Dinsdale
Cheryl Dinsdale rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Linz
Linz rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Karen-Leigh
Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Anne Kane
Anne Kane rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Corinne Mahoney
Corinne Mahoney rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Aimée
Aimée rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
  • Memory Board
  • A Discovery Of Strangers
  • At a Loss For Words: a Post-Romantic Novel
  • Across the Bridge: Stories
  • The Lyre of Orpheus (Cornish Trilogy, #3)
  • Son of a Smaller Hero
  • The Belonging Place
  • Random Passage (Random Passage, #1)
  • The Big Why: A Novel
  • Last of the Curlews
Timothy Irving Frederick Findley was a Canadian novelist and playwright. He was also informally known by the nickname Tiff or Tiffy, an acronym of his initials.

One of three sons, Findley was born in Toronto, Ontario, to Allan Gilmour Findley, a stockbroker, and his wife, the former Margaret Maude Bull. His paternal grandfather was president of Massey-Harris, the farm-machinery company. He was rais
More about Timothy Findley...

“La nuit tombe, le jour se lève. Toujours.” 2 likes