Start by marking “You Went Away: A Novella” as Want to Read:
You Went Away: A Novella

You Went Away: A Novella

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"You went away" is set during the Second World War in 1942, and like most of his fiction is played out in Ontario. The benighted couple are in a hemorrhaging marriage. Graeme is an officer in the RCAF but no gallant hero. He’s a broody sort, a womanizer and an alcoholic, a nasty mess. Professionally that means his superiors won’t let him near an aircraft. Otherwise, his di ...more
247 pages
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about You Went Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Went Away

Daniel Kukwa
Its greatest achievement is that it manages to tell such a lovely, heart-breaking historical romance in so short a page count. Hurray for the art of being concise! Casablanca on a budget!
Jeanette
Graeme is living under the shadow of his brother and his father's heroism. Michael, Mi, his wife, is living under the shadow of his alcoholism and infidelities. Their son, Matthew, is living under the shadow of all the shadows. Graeme is flying a desk in the middle of World War II, bouncing from air base to air base and slowly, their entwined lives fall to pieces.

This was actually the second time I had read this book all the way through, but somehow, I had forgotten it completely. It was an enjo
Carly Drake
This book was beautiful - a nice introduction to Findley. I heard so much about him during my high school years but I don't think I ever encountered his work directly. When I saw this book in a second-hand bookstore near my house, I had to scoop it up. Its premise was right up my alley: An air force gentleman swoops in to woo a woman and her son after her absentee husband goes off the deep end? That's dramatic. I'm in.

In many ways this book lived up to my high expectations of the great Findley.
Trudy
I found the storyline’s premise interesting - the creation of a story based upon a group of old photos of unknown origin. I have enjoyed other books by this author, but this one did not live up to my expectations. The plot and the characters were unimaginative, and the writing style was distracting at times. The only reason I finished reading it was because it was short, and I was hopeful something interesting might take place. Unfortunately, I found the entire book unremarkable.
Theresa
WWII, unfaithful alcoholic father, daughter killed, son trying to grow up, wife trying to hold marriage together, Trenton Air Base. Very beautifully written as only Findley can. Enjoyed descriptions of Air Base Trenton as an ex mil who served there twice; some are accurate, some not.
Liana
What can I say? It's TIFF. I adore him. Haven't read anything of his in years, and this was a lovely reintroduction. Rarely have I read an author so adept at depicting what it's like to be a kid. Last of the Crazy People was his first, brilliant example.
Marg
A book imagined from a box of old photos puchased at a flea market. A pitiful story of a family with a selfish husband, a wife who tries to win his love, and their unfortunate son. Beatifully written, but it is hard to sympathize with any of the characters save the son. A very short read (a novella) so if you don't like it, it'll be over soon!
Darren
Findley has been one of my favorite writers for years. We should all be proud as Canadians to call him our own. My wife bought me an autographed copy of this book a few years ago and its one of my favorite possessions .
Sara
sigh It's TIF, what can I say. He brings to life some of those people you always see in photographs, abandoned in anitique shops. Had to force myself to put it down last night so as to get some sleep.
Caleigh
So beautiful and sad. Probably very true. I love the idea of creating a story based on old photos - maybe I'll try that.
Linda
The more I read, the more I enjoyed the book. The story takes place during the war in Canada. Very well written and enlightning.
Chris Mcmanaman
I loved this book. I remember finishing it and saying this was a great book. A quick rainy day book. It was kinda sad.
Grandma Jo
Characters were unpleasant and Did not give a hoot about any of them!
Kevin Gallan
a very good book about a family in emotional trouble
Debbie
Great concept (old photos tell a story) and great novel.
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Gail Robertson
Gail Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Nicole Polish
Nicole Polish marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • Random Passage
  • Memory Board
  • The Belonging Place
  • Small Change
  • The Lyre of Orpheus (Cornish Trilogy, #3)
  • The Russländer
  • Last of the Curlews
Timothy Irving Frederick Findley was a Canadian novelist and playwright. He was also informally known by the nickname Tiff or Tiffy, an acronym of his initials.

One of three sons, Findley was born in Toronto, Ontario, to Allan Gilmour Findley, a stockbroker, and his wife, the former Margaret Maude Bull. His paternal grandfather was president of Massey-Harris, the farm-machinery company. He was rais
More about Timothy Findley...
Not Wanted On The Voyage The Wars The Piano Man's Daughter Pilgrim Famous Last Words

“La nuit tombe, le jour se lève. Toujours.” 2 likes