Start by marking “The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up” as Want to Read:
The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up

The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Praise for The Levity Effect

"What may be the most valuable business book of the year...The Levity Effect can change the way you look at corporate culture."

—Joe Calloway, author of Work Like You're Showing Off!

"Gostick and Christopher entertain us with humorous anecdotes and educate us with research, evidence, real-life examples, and practical applications."

—Jim Kouzes, c

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Levity Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Levity Effect

Ken
Very interesting listen this was my first audio book. I found the underlying principal of the book obvious once it had been pointed out. As the head of a small team who work very hard and well together and who are very successful at what we do, I was surprised to discover just how important our humorous approach to almost everything could be. I don’t think there is another team in our organisation which works harder, set itself higher targets and continually strives to improve their service in t ...more
Shonna Froebel
This book promotes having fun and work, and offers up the research to support its platform. The authors show how the right kind of levity can increase productivity, improve communication, foster creativity, increase trust, have a positive effect on health, and better the bottom line. To get you started down the road to fun, the authors also provide some ideas on ideas that have worked. The ideas come from real-life examples and while not all are appropriate for all workplaces, there should be so ...more
Derek P
A reasonable argument for levity in the workplace is offered however it seemed that there was a thin line between actual wit/lightheartedness and just plain acting goofy. I purchased this book after my doctoral committee chair worried that I would use too much humor when defending my qualification exams...but I couldn't help it ;) Lets just say I hope my leadership career turns out better.

The big problems about this book is example after example of people acting crazy in the workplace and littl
Joy
This was another book I listened to on CD. It was directed to corporate
life, with case studies and research on some major corporations. It
does show that a "lighter" approach in the work environment leads to
greater production. I'm all for "fun" in every part of life, but there
was not enough application for this book to be all that helpful in my
non-corporate life.
Theresa Hildebrand
Anyone who supervises even one person should read this book. Like I always say, If you're not having fun ~ you're doing it wrong.
For a business book, this was great. It's all about the need for fun and humor in the workplace. It made me feel good, since we're already fostering that at the library where I work.

Both practical and light-hearted.
Bonnie
Good business book with suggestions on including levity in your leadership style. Good research and experiences shared on how levity improves employee satisfaction, employee retention, and customer satisfaction.
Denise
This was more like a 2.8, but I couldn't find it in me to round up. Basically, people who enjoy their jobs perform better. Fit that into your culture. Ok, I agree. If filled my time while my flight was delayed.
Mark
Reads like a Gladwell book. One basic idea pounded over and over again with examples and statistics. Humor in the writing seemed forced, like they had to make it funny because they were writing about levity.
Jeremy Snyder
Offers backing for the idea that levity and lightening up in the workplace is good for everyone. Both research, and examples/suggestions are provided.
Nathan
Not that this matters, but the author is flamingly LDS. The wit was great and he offered lots of ideas to make work fun.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on change management for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Low
Pretty much what I try to do at work everyday, but nice to see it in words :) boo yah!
Joseph
It's kind of written like a list, but there are lots of good ideas in this one.
Cindy Hoyt
Mar 14, 2010 Cindy Hoyt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
lots of great ideas on how to have more fun at work
Angie
Another book by my boss and coworker.
Les
Loosin' up bitches!
Frankie Saucier
Frankie Saucier marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Laura Schaeffer
Laura Schaeffer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Disha Shah
Disha Shah marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Jill Johnson
Jill Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Liz Paul
Liz Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Joe Herine
Joe Herine marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • Learning by Heart: Teachings To Free The Creative Spirit
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • My Anecdotal Life: A Memoir
  • Creative Capitalism: A Conversation with Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Other Economic Leaders
  • Tuned in: Uncover the Extraordinary Opportunities That Lead to Business Breakthroughs
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • 50 Prosperity Classics
  • Condoleeza Rice: A Memoir of My Extraordinary, Ordinary Family and Me
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Celebrations: Rituals of Peace and Prayer
The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization All In: How the Best Managers Create a Culture of Belief and Drive Big Results The Invisible Employee: Realizing the Hidden Potential in Everyone The 24-Carrot Manager