Start by marking “Troubles for Cécile (American Girls Collection)” as Want to Read:
Troubles for Cécile (American Girls Collection)

Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile #4)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Cécile's summer is off to a glowing start. She loves spending time with her older brother, Armand, who is finally home from France. And she and her friend Marie-Grace enjoy helping at a nearby orphanage, playing with the children. But a shadow falls over the bright summer when Cécile hears that a terrible sickness--yellow fever--is spreading in New Orleans. When yellow fev ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Troubles for Cécile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubles for Cécile

Ciara
cecile's brother armand comes down with yellow fever & the rey family is quarantined. everyone is shocked because they were under the impression that people who had been in new orleans for a long time were somehow immune to the fever. the fact that armand got sick is seen as evidence that the yellow fever outbreak is progressing into a full-blown epidemic.

cecile somehow gets in touch with marie-grace & asks her to please ask her father, dr. gardner, to come check in on armand. cecile thi
Rebecca
This book begins in July 1853, shortly after the ending of book three. Cécile is worried when she hears her mother and aunt talking about yellow fever. There have always been cases of yellow fever in New Orleans every summer, but this year people seem much more worried. Many people are fleeing the city because they are so afraid.

Cécile's worst fears come true when her beloved older brother, Armand, catches yellow fever. Cécile is afraid for her brother, because many people in the city have died
Callie Stillion
Cecile really feels troubled, because Yellow Fever has swiped right through her home. Armand tells her not to worry, but then she knows to, because when Armand is painted Cecile`s portrait, he falls ill. While trying not to go outside, Cecile does things here and there, but not a lot, because she spends a lot of time worrying about her brother. One day, she and Papa go out on a walk. They talk about what they can do to help Armand. Papa gives her permission to go and visit him, and Armand doesn` ...more
Jess
I think it was really sad because Cecile's maid, Ellen dies of the yellow fever. All in all, it was a great book.
Interesting to read about the yellow fever epidemic. But sad as well.
Katie
Recap:
Cecile Rey is one of the "gens de couleur libres" or "free people of color" living in New Orleans in 1853. Together, she and her friend, Marie Grace, experience all that the diverse, busy city has to offer: Mardi Gras parades and costume balls, outdoor French markets, helping to fight a yellow fever epidemic, volunteering at a local orphanage, and performing at a city-wide benefit for the orphaned children.

Review:
Happy Mardi Gras, book lovers! In honor of the holiday, today I'm featuring a
Lindsay Collett
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: Overall, this particular series is just okay. This review will be for all six books in the series. Not sure if I like the deviation from the typical AG historical format (____ saves the day, happy birthday ____, etc.), but that seems to be the
Holly Letson
Everything seems wonderful at first. Cecile's brother, Armand, is an artiste, and is painting her portrait, while having her hide this skill of his from their father.
But, the happiness doesn't last long. The yellow fever is spreading New Orleans like wildfire, and the newest person it has came to is CeCe's brother, Armand. Armand gets very sick. Luckily, Cecile eventually thinks to ask Marie-Grace to have her father come help Armand. M-G gladly agrees to have him come help.
When he arrives, t
Amanda Wheet
Troubles for Cecile has a much more linear story, with solid pacing, than it's predecessor, Marie-Grace and the Orphans. In relation to the original American Girl books, these read like a "Saves the Day" story, and have the starring character learning, helping, and striving. Cecile is much more vivid and interesting than Marie-Grace, and so far I have preferred her books. Denise Lewis Patrick does appear to write more choppily, as if for the very young set. In comparison to a Valerie Tripp book, ...more
Elaine
This period of history has been very interesting. Again, enjoying the bit of French too.
Samantha
Cecile's brother becomes ill with yellow fever. It was interesting to read about the epidemic hitting so close to home for Cecile, but I admit that I was disappointed by the death of a servant to the Reys' family. As I make my way through this series, I am often let down by the artwork. The moments that the illustrator chooses to highlight in full page, full color pictures are often insignificant and the characters appear very stiff in body and face. The star of this series is most definitely th ...more
Kersten
Cecile's stories are much more interesting than Marie-Grace's, but still a bit slow. They are better written, and more interesting, but still I found them very longish for this age group. They were double the length of the original American Girl stories. I wish they had just done her stories and just had Marie-Grace as the "best friend"
Sydney
its about the yellow fever has spread across new orleans and Cecile's brother and her maid has it too.during their troubles Armand,Cecile's brother,survives but their kind servant does not.this book is mostly about history back then.
Miri
Yellow Fever has hit New Orleans, and Cecile's brother Armande has fallen ill, the whole city in in terror over the deadly disease, Cecile must be strong and find a way to help during this time of epidemic.
Kristine Pratt
Heartbreaking - this entire story is full of tension and emotion I feel for Cecile and her family and wanted to cry more than once. I love how the author handled this situation and this period in time.
Madalyn H
The trouble that Cecile faces in this book is the Yellow Fever epidemic and how it strikes her own home. Her brother and maid both get Yellow Fever but Armand lives and the maid did not.
I can not imagine a health epidemic. It was interesting to read about it and I'm still in awe of race relations during this time in New Orleans. Going to mass with all races? Wow.
Christina
Here it is, the *heavy* book in the MG&C series. It's a pretty good one; it has given me and Isobel some things to talk about. I like Cécile.
Lizziepeps
I love reading these historical novels through the perspective of children!
Lolo
this book is good but sad.
PWRL
Oct 02, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
E
O
SM
Kaylee
Kaylee marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 25, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Sarah Fairbank
Sarah Fairbank marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lacey
Lacey added it
Jan 16, 2015
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Caroline's Battle (American Girls: Caroline, #5)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Kaya's Hero: A Story of Giving (American Girls: Kaya, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kit, #3)

American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile (6 books)
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)
Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2) Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6) A Matter of Souls The Car Washing Street A New Beginning: My Journey with Addy