Start by marking “The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)

The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A dozenof the most exciting andunique writers for young people have chosen fairytales as starting points for their own original stories, in this surprising and spellbinding two-volume collection

Margo Lanagan (Tender Morsels), Rosie Borella, Isobelle Carmody, Richard Harland (Worldshaker), Margaret Mahy (The Seven Chinese Brothers), and Martine Murray (Henrietta There's No
Published September 6th 2011 by Allen and Unwin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wilful Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilful Eye

Cinder by Marissa MeyerMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonFive Glass Slippers by Elisabeth BrownThe Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela CarterLips Touch by Laini Taylor
Fairy Tales Retold Anthologies
50th out of 56 books — 62 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Selection by Kiera CassFallen by Lauren KateEntwined by Heather DixonHalo by Alexandra Adornetto
Best Covers Ever
294th out of 667 books — 443 voters

More lists with this book...

Maureen
Gathering twelve Australian authors together to rewrite classic fairy and folk stories is an instant draw for me. I really love the places authors can go with fairy story revisionism. However, it doesn't always work. The Wilful Eye does largely due to strong emotional undercurrents throughout the collection; undercurrents that are largely missing from its companion collection, The Wild Wood.

The Wilful Eye is a far superior effort to The Wild Wood. This is mainly because Margo Lanagan's opening s
Sarah Mayor Cox
Mmm, I love a good retelling of fairytales - especially with a more adult bent - and who could resist a collection with such a delicious cover!!! I was not disappointed with this collection. The writers chosen are of a very high calibre and the tales they've chosen aren't just the really well known ones. What I loved most about this collection was that because I didn't know all the stories really well, the retellings helped make the whole fairytale genre strange and new again for me. My favourit ...more
Twig
Wow!!! I enjoyed this book so much. I liked all the stories and I`m really excited to read the second book of this amazing short story collection. I think every Neil Gaiman Fan will love this new and dark tales :)
Alexis Lee
Here are the real fairytales, in all their macabre beauty. No HEAs and prince charmings, not without your suffering, first, anyway. The stories are gritty, unflinching, beautifully sensual. My especial favorites:

'The Distribution Of The Head', (an adaptation of The Tinderbox) - this one really stood out to me because of the gruesomeness and the character building. You'll understand when you read it.

'Eternity' (an adaptation of The Snow Queen) - the premise behind this one was particularly intere
Al

Six of the world's most exciting and best - loved writers have chosen fairytales as inspiration for this spellbinding and subversive short - story collection. Six writers - Margo Lanagan, Rosie Borella, Isobelle Carmody, Richard Harland, Margaret Mahy and Martine Murray - have taken inspiration from stories that have shaped us all, tales like 'Beauty and the Beast,' 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier' and 'The Snow Queen'. This collection carries universal themes of envy and desire, deception and abando

Nomes
The quality of the stories was variable.

I loved Isobelle Carmody's retelling of Rumplestiltskin, but felt that Margaret Mahy's version of Babes in the Wood was a little forced as was Rosie Borella's Snow Queen. Margo Lanagan's retelling of the Tinderbox was just disturbing. I really enjoyed Richard Harland's version of Beauty and the Beast up to a point, where the underlying themes and so forth became forced, rather than implied, it would have been better to have left it with the Beast's story a
Claudia Piña
Seis cuentos de hadas reimaginados. En el pasado, en el futuro, algo oscuros y viscerales. Se ha hecho antes, pero me gustó mucho como encajan todos juntos y las perspectivas interesantes que tomaron los autores. También me gustó que solo sean seis historias, lo que permite extenderlas y darles mas profundidad que en otras antologías.

Algunas de las historias originales no me son tan familiares (Babes in he Woods o The Tinderbox), pero en el fondo todas las historias lograron mantener una atmósfe
Lauren
Dec 26, 2012 Lauren marked it as paused
Catastrophic Disruption of the Head by Margo Lanagan...

To be honest I didn't really enjoy this story very much. It was very dark and the main character is very disturbed and unlikable/unrelateable. The descriptions of rape and violence made me quite uncomfortable and the disjointed way the story was written while clever, I found slightly boring. Once read though, and after reading Margo's explanation of what she was doing with old fairy tale, I gained a greater appreciation for the message behin
Bella Grey
i read the eternity short story it was really good i wasn't very sure what it was about at first but was quite interesting and was kind of like a cross between real life and a fairytale which was really different to read.the story was quite long to read.
Samantha-Ellen Bound
I wanted this book from the moment I heard about it – the concept of it is just fantastic, it had some of my favourite Australian authors rewriting fairytales, and it was described as dark and lush and bewitching and sensuous. I couldn’t wait to read it. The Wilful Eye doesn’t disappoint.
The six rewritten fairytales in this book are The Tinderbox; Rumpelstiltskin; The Ice Queen; Beauty and the Beast; Babes in the Wood and The Steadfast Tin Soldier. There are six more to come in the next book – i
Ms Tlaskal
Loved this. I have read three of the stories so far. My favourite was a retelling of 'The Ice Queen' by Rosie Borella called 'Eternity' and in the classic Hans and Gerda story, Hans becomes an Ice addict which is why he no longer can see Gerda in the same way. The Margo Lanagan story is an adaptation of a lesser known fairytale about these great danes with massive saucer eyes which I vaguely remember reading and it is probably the most experimental of the collection; shows how far you can go in ...more
Shelly_lr
This is a book of retold fairy tales. I normally love this sort of thing, but these bored me to tears. Honestly, I felt as if the task was to take vibrant tales that have entranced readers for ages and make them dull and/or less accessible. I gave the authors two stars for trying, but I wish they would have taken this in a different direction.

Anthologies I like where something similar was done: anything Terri Windling is associated with, Donna Jo Napoli's books, Robin McKinley, Pamela Dean, Tan
Sue Bursztynski
Very enjoyable collection, especially, for me, the Richard Harland Beauty and the Beast tale. I've read quite a few collections of fairy tale adaptations over the years and this one stands up well. It's certainly a LOT better than one I borrowed from the library recently, about the "bad girls" of fairy tales, which could have been very good indeed if it had the right stories by the right authors and with decent editing. I'll be interested to see the next volume.
Sophie
I was a bit disappointed with this collection of fairytales, retold by Australian authors. The first one in the collection, Catastrophic Disruption of the Head by Margo Lanagan, was fantastic. It retells the story of The Tinderbox by Hans Christian Andersen, setting it in modern, war-torn country. Unfortunately, the other stories paled in comparison. Moth's Tale by Isobelle Carmody was a reasonably solid tale, but the others didn't appeal to me at all.
Mella
I love Isobelle Carmody and I adore fairytales - so I really couldn't even imagine turning this book down. But wow. I enjoyed all of the tales but my favourite hands down Eternity by Rosie Borella. It blew me away. The premise was so utterly riveting and it was so well written and it had me glued to the page the entire time - I was devastated at the end. The rest of the tales were fantastic and definitely worth reading if you enjoy fairytales.
Astrid
Because this is a collection of short stories, there are going to be stories that aren't quite as stellar as the others. However, they were all at least 3.5 star quality, and most of them were 5 stars.

The arrangement of the stories was the best part - alternating between a traditional retelling of a fairytale, with a completely modern set (Australian cities) retelling of a fairytale.

I now can't wait to get to the second volume!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

A retelling the fairytales, done nicely and capture your attention.
Nicole
It's a hard thing to give a star rating to a book that has multiple authors telling their stories. I loved two of the stories, liked two more of the stories, didn't care for one of the stories, and seriously despised one of them. So I've settled on 3 stars. But if I rated them individually, some stories would be getting more than that and others would definitely be getting less.
Miffy
A fabulous collection of re-tellings, The Wilful Eye is clever story-telling, and is also a veritable who's who of speculative writing from Australia and New Zealand. While some stories are more successfully re-told than others, the writing is uniformly good - my particular favorite is Eternity by Rosie Borella - a chilling re- working of The Snow/Ice Queen. Recommended!
Christine Bongers
This chocolate box selection of refracted fairy tales appeals to more grown-up tastes. I devoured favourites like Isobelle Carmody, Richard Harland and of course, Margo Lanagan, and discovered the delicious Rosie Borella who I hadn't come across before. The others were a bit like coffee creams - sorry, not for me - so three-and-a-half stars overall.
Morag Gray
Aug 01, 2011 Morag Gray rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like fairytale retellings, people who like dark stories
Six finely crafted retellings of fairy stories by six superb authors. The darkenss of the original tales is a feature - no pink gauze and glitter here. It's hard to pick a favourite because they all resonated with me. I think perhaps "Eternity" by Rosie Borella. I never liked "The Snow Queen" much but I liked this version.
Julie
Retold fairy tales for adults, written by very skilled authors. Some contemporary settings, some purely fantasy. Note: Don't be fooled by the fact that these authors are known in the YA genre - this is a book for adults, as the first story will demonstrate. (The book was shelved in "Teen" at my local library.)
Clodagh
this was a really good collection. my favourite is the one about the ice queen. i realised straight what that one was, most of the others took my a while to figure it out - i didn't even know what the last one was until i read the author's note on it.
Rachel
The writers who contributed to this collection were all talented and their takes on known, and lesser-known, fairy tales were interesting. It was nice to read fairy tales for adults, as opposed to children or teens - for a change. Worth a read!
Pam Saunders
I confess I haven't read all the stories in this collection just Moth's Tale & Eternity. They were gripping and clever twists on classic fairytales.

Book Bazaar
Delightful twists on fairy tales that I love by wonderful Australian fantasy authors - what's not to like?
Daniel
Quite different and somewhat unexpected. Dark fairytales for an adult reader, in a short story format.
P.A.
Adult fairy tales are so much more interesting, and believable than childrens fairy tales.
  • The Girl With No Hands (and other tales)
  • Only Ever Always
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • Midnight and Moonshine
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • More Scary Kisses
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

Tales from the Tower (2 books)
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1) The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2) Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3) The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4) The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)

“It’s so dark - as if all the lights are just there to make the other places seem darker.” 4 likes
“When did you trust someone to hold a truth as carefully as you did?” 4 likes