Start by marking “Dinner Along the Amazon” as Want to Read:
Dinner Along the Amazon

Dinner Along the Amazon

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Here is the powerful, haunting "Lemonade,"where a young boy's world is shattered by his mother's self-destruction, and eleven other stories, including "Dinner along the Amazon,"an unusual journey into the complexities of contemporary relationships.
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published 1996 by Penguin (first published February 7th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner Along the Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner Along the Amazon

Surreysmum
I enjoyed these stories, although occasionally I felt that I was missing something that was obliquely expressed. Still, it's a merit in a short story if you have to put the book down after you finish it and think hard about it for a few minutes instead of just ploughing on.

That may be why my favourite of the bunch, entitled "Losers, Finders, Strangers at the Door" is not only one of the shortest but one of the most straightforward. Clues are dropped throughout an awkward conversation, and eventu
Julia
This is a collection of Findley's short stories. I have never been a fan of short stories. But, I am a fan of Findley's writing and therefore tackled this book.

I think Findley is genius along side of being a bit of a weirdo. His books have a touch of the bizzare. It's uncanny how he writes with such accuracy, being able to relay such strong feelings in his characters without being too wordy. I really liked the first 2 stories in this book, "Lemonade" and "War." The rest of them, kind of went ov
Kristine Morris
Timothy Findley is so good, but I am not a big fan of short stories. They leave too much to the imagination so that you've either read a story that wasn't actually written or you didn't read the story that was! I did love "The People on the Shore". The last paragraph - the way he entwines the young character of Tiffy with the prescient dream of Mrs Lewis and her actual death fifteen years later - it's brilliantly done.
Brandon
Daybreak at Pisa - 4
Out of the Silence - 5
Dinner Along the Amazon - 3
Tara McClinchey
Findlay is always interesting and a brilliant writer, but some of these short stories couldn't keep my attention. The ones I loved were Lemonade and War, because I could really sympathise with the main characters. I also liked the strangeness of Hello Cheeverland, Goodbye.
Denise
I am not a short story type of person either, but I like Timothy Findley. The first two stories, Lemonade and War were the best in the book."Lemonade" reminded me of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Findley continues the theme in "War" in a later book called "You Went Away".
Wes
Short story collection - some were amazing, some I just couldn't get into (and a little depressing, even for Canadian fiction).
Debbie
Good but not my favourite Findley book. Short stories are a hard sell for me.
Itsyourlifeshop
i love short stories. this ones great
Maria Fitzpatrick
Maria Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Keri
Keri added it
Jul 25, 2015
Midu Hadi
Midu Hadi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Yan
Yan marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Michelle Lise
Michelle Lise marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • The Origin of Species
  • All the Anxious Girls on Earth: Stories
  • Swamp Angel
  • St. Urbain's Horseman
Timothy Irving Frederick Findley was a Canadian novelist and playwright. He was also informally known by the nickname Tiff or Tiffy, an acronym of his initials.

One of three sons, Findley was born in Toronto, Ontario, to Allan Gilmour Findley, a stockbroker, and his wife, the former Margaret Maude Bull. His paternal grandfather was president of Massey-Harris, the farm-machinery company. He was rais
More about Timothy Findley...
Not Wanted On The Voyage The Wars The Piano Man's Daughter Pilgrim Headhunter