Start by marking “Dinner Along the Amazon” as Want to Read:
Dinner Along the Amazon

Dinner Along the Amazon

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Here is the powerful, haunting "Lemonade,"where a young boy's world is shattered by his mother's self-destruction, and eleven other stories, including "Dinner along the Amazon,"an unusual journey into the complexities of contemporary relationships.
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published 1996 by Penguin (first published February 7th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner Along the Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner Along the Amazon

Jarrah
May 25, 2016 Jarrah rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada, short-stories
There is so much beauty and sadness in this collection of short stories by Timothy Findley. Children are divided from parents, husbands from wives, and many more are divided from their own sense of self. Many of Findley's themes and motifs will be familiar to fans but so is his skill, so that each story maintains its interest and poignancy.
Surreysmum
Jul 15, 2015 Surreysmum rated it liked it
I enjoyed these stories, although occasionally I felt that I was missing something that was obliquely expressed. Still, it's a merit in a short story if you have to put the book down after you finish it and think hard about it for a few minutes instead of just ploughing on.

That may be why my favourite of the bunch, entitled "Losers, Finders, Strangers at the Door" is not only one of the shortest but one of the most straightforward. Clues are dropped throughout an awkward conversation, and eventu
Daniel Kukwa
It starts out as classic Findley: stories about children, the lost, the ageing, all trapped in their nostalgia & regret, unable or unwilling to communicate what they truly feel. But then the collection descends into the style of writing & the type of character that put me off the very similar "Telling of Lies". Too abstract & too pseudo-Scott Fitzgerald for my taste. Luckily, the final story saves the book with a biting, fluid look at relationships & sex that Timothy Findley alwa ...more
Amélie
Nov 10, 2015 Amélie rated it liked it
Shelves: canada, nouvelles, 2015
Il y a certaines histoires que Findley raconte très bien : celles qui parlent d'amis d'enfance, de grandes maisons (ou de grands hôtels) en bord de mer, de domestiques un peu excentriques & de nombreux, très nombreux verres de scotch (ou de gin). Dans ce recueil-ci, les meilleures nouvelles suivent à peu près ce modèle. Toutes les autres sont un peu lassantes & généralement assez décousues.

Quand Findley s'y met, ses histoires ont une élégance, dans le ton & dans le choix de mots, qu
Julia
Aug 22, 2011 Julia rated it liked it
This is a collection of Findley's short stories. I have never been a fan of short stories. But, I am a fan of Findley's writing and therefore tackled this book.

I think Findley is genius along side of being a bit of a weirdo. His books have a touch of the bizzare. It's uncanny how he writes with such accuracy, being able to relay such strong feelings in his characters without being too wordy. I really liked the first 2 stories in this book, "Lemonade" and "War." The rest of them, kind of went ov
Kristine Morris
Timothy Findley is so good, but I am not a big fan of short stories. They leave too much to the imagination so that you've either read a story that wasn't actually written or you didn't read the story that was! I did love "The People on the Shore". The last paragraph - the way he entwines the young character of Tiffy with the prescient dream of Mrs Lewis and her actual death fifteen years later - it's brilliantly done.
Brandon
Out of the Silence - 5
Dinner Along the Amazon - 3
Tara McClinchey
Nov 02, 2013 Tara McClinchey rated it liked it
Findlay is always interesting and a brilliant writer, but some of these short stories couldn't keep my attention. The ones I loved were Lemonade and War, because I could really sympathise with the main characters. I also liked the strangeness of Hello Cheeverland, Goodbye.
Denise
Sep 19, 2013 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I am not a short story type of person either, but I like Timothy Findley. The first two stories, Lemonade and War were the best in the book."Lemonade" reminded me of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Findley continues the theme in "War" in a later book called "You Went Away".
Sharon
Aug 05, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I am not a short story fan and these were no exception. I enjoy Timothy Findley's style so there I was. Some depressing, always interesting, daring to say what we really think. Raw, human, inspiring, damaging, riveting. War made me cry.
Wes
Jul 07, 2013 Wes rated it liked it
Short story collection - some were amazing, some I just couldn't get into (and a little depressing, even for Canadian fiction).
Debbie
Aug 09, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
Good but not my favourite Findley book. Short stories are a hard sell for me.
Itsyourlifeshop
Jan 23, 2013 Itsyourlifeshop rated it it was amazing
i love short stories. this ones great
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Pam Vosse
Pam Vosse rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Caro
Caro added it
Jun 04, 2016
Erin Collett
Erin Collett marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Lisa Mcglade
Lisa Mcglade is currently reading it
May 10, 2016
CK DesGrosseilliers
CK DesGrosseilliers marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Duff
Duff rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Vgandrews
Vgandrews rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Barbara Young
Barbara Young rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Sofie
Sofie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • The Collected Stories of Carol Shields
  • St. Urbain's Horseman
  • Traplines
  • Born with a Tooth
  • Home From The Vinyl Cafe: A Year Of Stories (Vinyl Cafe, #2)
  • The Penguin Book of Canadian Short Stories
  • Gravity Wells: Speculative Fiction Stories
  • Crackpot: A Novel
  • Sweet Land Stories
Timothy Irving Frederick Findley was a Canadian novelist and playwright. He was also informally known by the nickname Tiff or Tiffy, an acronym of his initials.

One of three sons, Findley was born in Toronto, Ontario, to Allan Gilmour Findley, a stockbroker, and his wife, the former Margaret Maude Bull. His paternal grandfather was president of Massey-Harris, the farm-machinery company. He was rais
More about Timothy Findley...