Start by marking “Hurricane: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Hurricane: A Novel

Hurricane: A Novel

In the stunning conclusion to award-winning author Jewell Parker Rhodes’s mystery trilogy begun in Voodoo Dreams and Moon, Dr. Marie Lavant, descendent of Voodoo queen Marie Laveau, must confront a murderous evil in New Orleans.

Dr. Marie Levant aka Leveau, great-great granddaughter of Marie Laveau, has achieved fame and notoriety for saving New Orleans from the wrath of a
Published April 12th 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane

Judith Starkston
I’m a fan of fiction about powerful women, especially if the women have a mystical aspect to their power, so it’s no surprise that I love Jewell Parker Rhodes’s books about the Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. For those who know about my own book-in-progress, the story of a strong priestess connected with ancient divinities will sound familiar, although Jewell’s Voodooienne and my Trojan-era heroine are separated by three millennia.

The tale of Marie Laveau begins in 19th century New Orleans in Rhodes
Jacque
Apr 25, 2011 Jacque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good book
I enjoyed this book. It drew me in and held my attention. It was very exciting with many twists and turns. I could see how some of the book would turn out since it had Hurricane Katrina as a storyline. There was a lot about the story that surprised me though.

It had a lot of the voodoo religion to it which I found interesting. I also found the idea of nature cleaning itself with the hurricane to be interesting. I felt that nature needed to clean itself after the pollution that was shown to exist
Krystalyna
May 31, 2011 Krystalyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying that I won this wonderful signed copy from the Goodreads Giveaway. I had no idea there were two books out before Hurricane when I had won this book and I was not familiar with the author, Jewell Parker Rhodes, prior to reading this book. But I'm glad I won a signed copy because the book was beyond amazing (I finished it in one day).

I've never read a book like this - ever. I wasn't sure what to expect since I wasn't familiar with the series and I felt I wouldn't connect
Faith
Mar 24, 2013 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nola-love
I've been captivated once again by Rhodes' story of Dr. Marie Laveau! Well written, fascinating, and with great pace. I continued to enjoy how relatable the main character is...she gets scared, she gets weary, and she gets horny. She's a regular woman with extraordinary gifts.

The depiction of Nana's bayou town is so good because you feel unsettled. It reminds me of the weird little town in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where everybody seemed to be in on the town secret, in a dark, diabolical kind of
Jen
Marie Levant has now fully adopted her true namesake, Marie Laveau. She is the reigning Voodoo Queen of New Orleans - when she's not tending to the sick and poor as an emergency room doctor in Charity Hospital. Something calls her to the gulf town of DeLaire, where she bears witness to a horrifying murder and also meets the local voodoo mambo of that town, who has foretold her coming. Unfortunately, the mambo's grandson, the sheriff of that town, has no plans to investigate the deaths she saw, a ...more
Claudia
Rhodes returns to the subject of Hurricane Katrina...here with Marie Laveau, the 21st century voodooienne. She's grown so much as a character, into her gifts...which are also a curse. There is more loss here. I wonder how much she and I can take.

In this book Marie is impelled to visit the little bayou town of DeLaire. Deep in oil country, run for years by the plantation family, with faithful retainers staying on the land.

But this is a town with secrets. Nana, a voodoo healer, worships gods Marie
Crystal (Kris)
I received a signed copy of Hurricane: A Novel in a first reads giveaway.

To be honest, I didn't realize that it was the third book of a series before I received it and saw the back cover, so I read this book without any prior knowledge as to the world Rhodes built. I don't know what I missed out on, but I felt like I could read this without knowing anything. And I'm glad that I had the chance to read to novel because Rhodes is an amazing author. Rhodes is very descriptive in her writing and mood
Glenda Alexander
If you like intrigue, mystery and a little voodoo this is one book you will not put down!

If you have ever been in the South you know that Voodoo is taken very seriously in some parts and it is believed that there are those who make things happen and are never questioned.

This is a book filled with emotion that includes environmental devastation of Louisiana’s essential delta wetlands, the hurricane known as Katrina, and the flooding of New Orleans some of these to be projected as a way of cleans
Kathy
Oct 04, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hurricane is the 3rd Installment of a series of books decicated to famous Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau. Dr. Marie Laveau is the great great granddaughter of the voodoodienne.Dr. Lauveau has finally embraced the heritage that has been both a curde and a blessing to the women descendants of Maman Laveau. I it was a good read but was lacking as suspense as the previous book. I thank the aurthor for keeping the culture and history of New Orleans and the Afircans that have made it the cultural city that ...more
Sumayyah
Sep 06, 2012 Sumayyah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich with history and legend, "Hurricane" by Jewell Parker Rhodes is a pretty good read. Weaving mystery with the history of Louisiana and calling upon the loa, this book is a win. The third and final installment in a series, some readers may be confused if they have not read the first two books. Join the descendent of Marie Laveau as she speaks with spirits, heals patients, dodges Death, hunts a killer, and experiences Hurricane Katrina in the bayou.
Amy
My least favorite of the trilogy. I feel that more loose ends should have been tied up. I felt that the DeLaire story lacked a solid foundation to draw the reader in. I didn't care for many of the characters. I didn't even like Marie very much in this one. Gabriel the drummer could have been a key person in this book, from beginning to end. I liked his significance. This book was just...lacking. Not a good representation of the series.
WithaK
Apr 25, 2011 WithaK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy from firstreads giveaways and I really enjoyed it. For some reason I thought it would have vampires but that was a previous book in the series. The settings and scenes were quite creepy sometimes! I was into the book enough to get chills and that creepy feeling that makes me glad to be in my locked house far away from the swamp! I haven't experienced that since reading Ann Rice books. :)
Shomeret
In this book I was exposed to some very sad information that I can't unlearn now about the tragedy of environmental degradation in the Mississippi Delta that didn't begin with the Deepwater Horizon disaster. This is a novel about real life horror and monsters that do exist. Similar environmental atrocities can and do happen anywhere.

For my complete review see http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...
Tami Montano
Apr 23, 2011 Tami Montano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I loved the strength and intelligence that the main character exuded as well as the powerful connection between the nature and humanity that is portrayed in the storyline. The storyline kept the reader completely hooked all the way until the finale. Thank you Early Readers Giveaway for introducing me to a powerful, creative, and intriguing new favorite author!
Hollie Mendenhall
Dec 02, 2011 Hollie Mendenhall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book, but missed the second because my local library doesn't have it. This is the third and final in the series. For someone who visited and loves New Orleans, it is a book that is enjoyable to read, keeps the reader's attention, and is interesting filled with both fact and fiction. It is not literature, but a fun, vacation-type read.
Carol
May 09, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
I lived in the Delta for while, many years ago. This book brought back some intense memories of some of the strong, seductive women I met there.

This is a good " can't put it down" book.

I received this novel through a First Reads giveaway. Thank you.
Melinda
May 18, 2011 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Solid 4 and great conclusion to Leaveau trilogy. Jewell does a good job tying current environmental issues faces Mother Earth - specificall La. Story of voodoo, fantasty, suspense, Catholicism, and love of La. Rec reading the entire trilogy - Dreams, Season, & Hurricane - thanks Jewell P Rhodes!
mysticbookworm
Mar 05, 2013 mysticbookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-thrillers
Really really enjoyed this series. I love the mythology of the African gods and goddesses Rhodes researched and explained in the book, aside from the Voodoo religion and gods and goddesses and the background on the real Marie LeVeaux. Now, I just need to read Voodoo Dreams... :0).
Georgia Shirley
Dec 20, 2013 Georgia Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This. Was a wonderfully moving story . I loved the ambience and woven voodoo history.
Risa
Jul 14, 2012 Risa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting fictional take on Hurricane Katrina and environmental racism in Louisiana.
Jena
Apr 23, 2011 Jena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was ok. the first one was better.
Christina
Apr 25, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this book in a giveaway. I LOVED it. I can't wait to read the other books. Jewell Parker Rhodes is a truly gifted writer.
Michelle
Apr 14, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marie Leveau, vampires, New Orleans...enough said. I look forward to exploring this series!
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Kimjada
Kimjada rated it it was ok
May 20, 2014
Cassondra
Cassondra rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Yasmin
Yasmin rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Jocelyn Young
Jocelyn Young rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • More Than Sorrow
  • You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2)
  • City of Secrets (A Miranda Corbie Mystery)
  • Under the Lemon Trees
  • Schooled in Lies (Kendra Clayton Mystery, #4)
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)
  • Bluesday
  • Bawss
  • Act of Grace
  • His First Wife
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • From Within
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • Vivia
  • Bluish
  • Conception
Jewell Parker Rhodes has always loved reading and writing stories. Born and raised in Manchester, a largely African-American neighborhood on the North Side of Pittsburgh, she was a voracious reader as a child. She began college as a dance major, but when she discovered there were novels by African Americans, for African Americans, she knew she wanted to be an author. She wrote six novels for adult ...more
More about Jewell Parker Rhodes...