Start by marking “Queen and Country, Vol. 2: Morning Star” as Want to Read:
Queen and Country, Vol. 2: Morning Star

Queen and Country, Vol. 2: Morning Star (Queen and Country #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  528 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Afghanistan is one of the hottest political spots in the world. When the taleban discovers foreign journalists are also serving as covert-agents for the SIS, the Minders are put on a mission to find a secret contact list before the enemy does; however, when Director of Operations Paul Crocker decides to send only his male agents into the field, it doesn't sit well with Tar ...more
Published November 3rd 2002 by Oni Press (first published September 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Queen and Country, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen and Country, Vol. 2

Quentin Wallace
Dec 21, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
Shorter volume, but still a powerful story. In this issue, we see Tara dealing with what happened to her in the first volume while the other two agents are sent into Afghanistan to retrieve some sensitive information. Tara is not sent on this mission for 2 reasons. One reason being it would be too hard for a female agent to infiltrate that part of the world, the other being she's undergoing psych evaluation from the last mission.

What I like about this is how the narrative flows. Rather than just
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I am rating this because I read Edition #6, although I do not have the entire Vol. 2 graphic novel. I specifically dug this out for my A to Z Book Challenge, and it made me sad I don't have the other editions in this volume.

What I liked about what I read:

*The inking is very descriptive, even to the point of showing the character's emotion.
*The story is realistic and well-grounded. As I read Rucka's afterword, he takes this seriously and does his research. I felt that this book has relevance and
Meran
May 18, 2015 Meran rated it really liked it
Titled: Operation: Morningstar

Tara Chace and her fellow secret intelligence service agents are back on the job, except Tara, who, being a woman, would be useless in Kabul. As useless as she feels in the office. It's against the Taleban this time (This comic was planned before 9/11, I believe and was published in the year after that event.)

The Taleban has executed three journalists for spying - one of which really was a spy. The other two were just collateral damage, I guess.

Tara is not sleeping
Phew, Queen & Country manages to fulfill the promise that it showed in the first story arc, and even surpasses my expectations. Rucka's passion about the Taliban (and his letter at the back of issue #4 explaining the pre-9/11 circumstances of this story arc's writing) shows through this issue, and he manages to write a riveting story, that really doesn't contain that much "action." Rucka maintains tension as "Members" 1 and 3 attempt to retrieve a list of colluders against the Taliban from a ...more
Jim
Nov 07, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
i'm really suprized that the best spy novel i've read in years is a graphic novel.
Falkor
Aug 20, 2007 Falkor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of espionage thrillers, people looking for a good female protagonist
After the Taliban execute a journalist who had been passing information to SIS, Tara Chace’s fellow minders Tom Wallace and Ed Kittering are sent to Kabul to retrieve a very important item that the journalist was supposed to deliver to another SIS operative: a master list of all the members of an underground anti-Taliban network. Tara is not happy about being left behind, but her boss believes it would be impossible for a female agent, especially a Westerner, to try to operate in Taliban territo ...more
Ashish
Mar 28, 2014 Ashish rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, spy
Morning Star continues the hard, gritty feel of the first, and in a brilliant display of awesome writing, finishes an entire series of nail-biting issues with intrigue, conspiracy, detective work, and political commentary, without a single shot fired.
I didn't know comics could get this... subtle.
Jimmy Brown
Jan 17, 2015 Jimmy Brown rated it liked it
Certainly an acquired taste, this is essentially a spy novel in comic book form. As gritty as it is wordy, I enjoyed this volume better than the first one although I am still not loving the series. the art is much better this time round, though.
Bryson Kopf
Ok, so this was not quite as exciting as the first volume, but I really liked this second arc. This volume deals pretty exclusively with the Taliban, with the Minders being deployed Afghanistan to retrieve a list of agent contacts which could destroy the entire spy network. There is a lot of holdover from the previous mission; Tara is still coping with her perceived failures as an agent, which is exacerbated by getting grounded for the current mission (only male agents can be deployed since a wo ...more
Frank
Apr 06, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it
Not as great as the first volume, only because this feels like a fallout from the first misson. Now dont get me wrong, this is still a great book, with real spy and character drama. A great supporting cast of characters and an interesting and real spy mission. I love this series and need to read more.
Brian
Jun 24, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-fiction
The second part of the series. Ed and Tom go to Afghanistan for the MI-6. Meanwhile, Tara is at loose ends, since she has little to do. She eventually uncovers information that helps Ed and Tom complete their mission, but she's drinking more.
sweet pea
Jul 14, 2008 sweet pea rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-content
i read this second volume to be sporting. i liked it better than the first. but, still, i'm just ambivalent. this volume deals more with an on-the-ground operation and less about layers of bureaucracy. which makes it more interesting.
Noah Soudrette
Feb 05, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it really liked it
A great follow up to the first volume. This one concentrates on Tara Chace's state of mind after the events of Operation: Broken Ground. There's also a great race/chase that reminds me of a Hitchcock thriller, complete with mcguffin.
Amy
Excellent follow up to Vol 1. As much about the toll intelligence work takes on a person as about the spycraft occurring.
Also, I appreciate the timing of the action (super current for the year - 2002- it was written in)
Joe
Nov 25, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
Great installment.
Very much like a good spy show.
Przemysław Gumułka
Przemysław Gumułka rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Tyler MacNeill
Tyler MacNeill marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Jet
Jet marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
John Seetoo
John Seetoo rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Esmira Serova
Esmira Serova rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Death Hunter
Death Hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Brendan O'neill
Brendan O'neill rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Anders
Anders rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Joshua K
Joshua K rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
telep
telep added it
Mar 19, 2016
Jindroush
Jindroush rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 2: Guns of Vengeance
  • The Losers, Vol. 3: Trifecta
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 5: Dead Robin
  • Global Frequency Vol. 2: Detonation Radio  (Global Frequency, #2)
  • Super Spy
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love
  • The Escapists
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • The Surrogates
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 5: Immortal Enemies
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Queen and Country (8 books)
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 1: Broken Ground