Start by marking “Legwork (Casey Jones Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Legwork (Casey Jones Mysteries #1)

Legwork (Casey Jones Mysteries #1)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  647 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
LEGWORK is the debut novel in Katy Munger's hilarious and acclaimed Casey Jones Mystery series. Casey is a big, bad bottled blonde who takes no prisoners as she delves into cases for those who are marginalized on the outskirts of society. Set in North Carolina and the surrounding states, LEGWORK features a colorful cast, solid plot and writing that is both laugh out funny ...more
Published February 19th 2011 (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Legwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legwork

Heather
It seems that most mystery series I read these days with a female lead resemble the Stephanie Plum series. This one was yet another, except taking place in North Carolina, and the lead not originally being from there. There were some differences though, such as our lead, Casey Jones, has a criminal past which is why she is a transplant to NC. She is now, fourteen years later, working for a PI and currently acting as a bodyguard for a woman running for Senate. Said woman is arrested for the murde ...more
Hope
Feb 20, 2010 Hope rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I really wanted to like this book. I like reading local authors, I like mystery stories, I like stories about strong women, and I like stories with a strong sense of place, especially when it's a place I know.

Legwork is all of those things; I still didn't like it. I read to page 52, read the last chapter, and gave up. The writing is good enough. Unfortunately, there aren't any people, just caricatures. Everyone is larger than life and twice as ridiculous. It felt like a long info-dump intersper
Jenn
Jun 16, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Eh. I started out not liking this one at all, but it did get better. I didn't care for any of the characters here. No one was likable. The main character was weirdly masculine, yet felt like she wasn't meant to be so much so. And we get it. Her boss eats a lot. Can we move on? Oh, and (I'll be vague so there's no spoilers), but who DIDN'T know exactly who the culprit was after the convo at the river? I mean, it was frustrating reading the main character try to puzzle it out when it was so obviou ...more
Mkellykearsley
Sep 07, 2015 Mkellykearsley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fun book, easy read, a little heavy on characterizations (Bobby D is way too over the top) but not so much that I would not read another in the series.
Will Decker
Jun 13, 2015 Will Decker rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories where you’re either going to love it or hate it. I LOVED IT! Unlicensed PI Casey Jones isn’t afraid to call a spade a spade and she has no illusions about herself. She knows she’s a big woman with flaws, but she also knows that she has unique characteristics that are charming, and she knows when to use them to her advantage. I would have liked to been there when she consummated some of her relationships instead of just being referred, but alas, we can’t have everythi ...more
Ann Marie
Sep 05, 2010 Ann Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank my daughter Jessica one more time for tracking this book down for me. I had been looking for it since I read the second book in this Casey Jones mystery series, two years ago.

Casey Jones is a remarkable character...no nonsense, confident, mouthy but so believable and likable. This was a good mystery. I should have put two and two together long before I got to the end and was surprised but I was too busy really enjoying the build up.

I'm definitely going to be looking for the
Elaine
May 25, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read. Quirky main character but entertaining
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
First time reading Katy Munger. Very enjoyable. Good storyline and enjoyable characters. Enough twists and turns and surprise reveals to keep you interested.

Casey Jones, a female P.I. with a not too clean past, has to solve the murder of one of the towns big players whose body is dumped in front of the home of Casey's client - a candidate in the current election in a North Carolina small town.

Working with a cast of colourful and unusual characters, with some surprising secrets, Casey travels dow
Judy
Jan 21, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, North Carolinians
I read the Kindle edition of this book on a recent cross country plane trip and really enjoyed it. Yes, Case is on the trashy side, not to mention mouthy and full of attitude. And she likes to sleep around. Definitely not Miss Marple. But I found her very refreshing.

"Legwork" is fast paced and has the required twists and turns. And even though it was first published nearly 15 years ago, it still manages to stay current.

I will be sure to download a few more Casey Jones mysteries to my Kindle.
Kerrie Mcvittie
Jan 17, 2013 Kerrie Mcvittie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved that this booked kicked off straight away and got straight into it, no having to wait 10 chapters until the good stuff starts! I really liked that Casey say’s exactly what she thinks about a guy to his face rather than just thinking it. I was really excited about this series and although she is nowhere near as funny or as good as Stephanie Plum, book one certainly didn’t disappoint. Looking forward to the next one.
Betty
Dec 18, 2011 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
She's smart, talented and durable, but Casey Jones has had more than her share of bad luck in life--including doing legwork for a blimp-sized P.I. who exercises few muscles below the jawline. Casey's latest assignment is to guard a politician running for the Senate. When the corpse of a real estate magnate is found in her client's car, Casey must clear the candidate's name before the election.
Chris
May 05, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Casey Jones spent 18 months in prison set up by her Ex...
Because of this she cannot get a private investigator's license. However, while working as a body guard for Mary Lee Masters, candidate for the North Carolina Senate, she gets bumped up to PI, paid by Ms. Masters to find the real murderer of the man left in her driveway...

Well written.
Diane Kidman
Dec 14, 2011 Diane Kidman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, witty, suspenseful, and a dynamite mystery. I love a book you can sink your teeth into and forget where you are. I say if you've got any reservations at all about reading indie authors, you gotta snag a copy of Legwork by Katy Munger and give it a go. You'll never look back.
Dava Stewart
Oct 14, 2011 Dava Stewart rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but not my cup of tea. It felt like the writer wanted to make the main character excessively masculine. It felt like she was a stereotypical undercover detective: grungy, rough, just barely staying within the bounds of the law - usually - except she is a she.
Joe O'c
Jul 18, 2012 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Casey Jones (first in series); unlicensed woman PI is doing protection work for a local politician who has a dead body in her car, and Jones works o find out who it is and why they're dead in the good ole South
Aaron Dubin
Jan 29, 2013 Aaron Dubin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot to mark this as currently reading. Did not finish it in a day. I enjoyed this book very much. Great characters, a good mystery, and well developed storyline. I would recommend this book. Not too sure of the series, as only read book one.
Megan
Jun 05, 2012 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, read-2012
I really wanted to like this book as it had the characteristics I would usually like in a book but I found it to be a slow read. I didn't think it was well written or that there was much character development. The plot line was all over the place.
Daelith
Though I was able to figure who the killer was early on in the book, I still enjoyed it and will be looking for more of this series. Somewhat like the Stephanie Plum series but takes place in the South and not quite as much bumbling.
Diane
maybe it's just me, but i definitely do like book with strong snarky overtones on the part of the heroine! this gal is a BBW with an attitude, and her boss is just gross, but they make this book work. 1 of 6 in this seres.
Lisa Lewis
Fun, classic mystery novel, with a likeable heroine a la Sue Grafton or Janet Evanovich. Especially enjoyed the local (Raleigh/Durham) setting. Munger is a hit again, under her own name or any other!
P.A.
Aug 27, 2012 P.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twists that you never see coming. Likeable characters that you will know well by the end of the novel. Similar to another female detective series but different enough that it stands on its own.
Vicki
Jan 25, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes Casey Jones made me laugh out loud, at other times I found myself worried about her. It's nice to find a heroine who's just a regular woman, roots and all.
Cherisse
Casey Jones, bodyguard and private investigator (just without a license since she has a record), figures out who killed a developer and helps out a new police friend, Bill Butler.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
This is the first book in the Casey Jones mystery series. Read it long ago so I can't remember details, but I noted that I "liked it, must read the whole series."
Vicki
Feb 01, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a couple of years ago and forgot how enjoyable it is ready it with a couple of days. Story was interesting and it has got me back into reading again
Jack
Dec 30, 2012 Jack rated it liked it
Unlicenced PI Casey Jones has a job as bodyguard to an election candidate and finds herself involved in a murder investigation. Entertaining mystery.
Slinkyboy
Enjoyed the mystery and the investigation, but I'm not so sure about the investigator.

Might pick up book 2 sometime, but I'm not in a hurry.
Dale
Oct 18, 2010 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ill bk Seante candiate Mary Lee Masters is found with a male body in the back of her jeep Casey has been asigned to be Master's bodygiard
Michelle
  • Fashion, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox, #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • Heartbreak Highway
  • Blood Island
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse, #1)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Deadly Gamble
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • House Report
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
Wrote two of the Dead Detective series under the pseudonym Chaz McGee and the rest under her own name.
More about Katy Munger...

Casey Jones Mysteries (6 books)
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Bad to the Bone