Start by marking “Queen and Country, Vol. 3: Crystal Ball” as Want to Read:
Queen and Country, Vol. 3: Crystal Ball

Queen and Country, Vol. 3: Crystal Ball (Queen and Country #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  438 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Collecting issues 8-12 of the Eisner-winning miniseries. Tara Chace races against the clock to stop a terrorist plot to unleash Sarin gas on the British citizenry-all in the midst of a burgeoning romance between herself and fellow Minder Ed Kittering. Presented in both trade paperback and a special hardcover strictly limited to initial orders. Featuring an exclusive galler ...more
Published March 2nd 2003 by Oni Press (first published January 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Queen and Country, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen and Country, Vol. 3

Chadwick
Apr 03, 2008 Chadwick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like Greg Rucka, who don't mind bad art
For quick-read spy thriller, Queen and Country can't be beat. Unfortunately, in this volume, Greg Rucka'a spot-on pacing and great dialog is mired in the shitbag that is Leandro Fernandez's art. To be fair, Q&C is always a mixed bag (who on earth thought that poor Bryan O'Malley could do a spy book) as far as the art is concerned, but what is particularly galling about this volume is the fact that Fernandez is not without skill. He's got a dab hand with a charicature, and he does okay drawin ...more
Schmerica
Jun 18, 2007 Schmerica rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
There's been a different artist for each of the first four volumes of Queen and Country I've read, but for some reason, even though Tara Chace looks like a normal human being in every other one, the artist on this arc decided to inflict her with superheroine syndrome. Boobs that take up half her body mass, lots of cleavage, and a teeny-tiny waist. Gross. The artwork and style varies a ton with the other three, but she looks like real in all of them.
I'm still enjoying this as a solidly good spy series. This one was more action-packed, and all three "Minders" went on missions.

Leandro Fernandez's art was fine, but I wasn't as huge of a fan of it as Brian Hurtt's (Vol 2) art, mainly because he intentionally made Tara Chace's boobs enormous and accented them with low-cut shirts, bra tops, and unrealistic bent back poses meant to draw attention to them. I'm not sure if it was Fernandez's big-boobed pictures that made Chace's personality seem di
Selwa
Aug 03, 2008 Selwa rated it it was ok
I have to say, the change in Tara Chace, the main character of this series, just killed it for me. The artists have been different for each volume and the change was so drastic that it seems like a different person. The writing and story are still good, but the sexed up version of Tara was just too distracting for me -- in a bad way.
Camille
Dec 05, 2011 Camille rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
The story was great as usual but the art while it may be good for another comic was inappropriate. The T&A greatly detracted from the realistic tone of the series. Tara Chase's breasts were all over the place. Imagine going on a mission dressed in a fishnet top.
Jon Farber
Aug 14, 2012 Jon Farber rated it liked it
Shelves: comics

Great story, extremely poor art direction in this volume.
Amy
Sep 15, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of pulp+spycraft
This was the best and most complex storyline of the volumes so far accompanied by the WORST, most pulpy art to distract from the action. I already have a little trouble with the new artists on each volume but at least there was some consistency around general look and feel of the characters. In this volume though, Tara went from a normal-looking bad-ass chick struggling with rationalizing her job to a sluttier-looking Laura Croft flashing her navel anytime she leans over in her strip of an excus ...more
Jimmy Brown
Jan 17, 2015 Jimmy Brown rated it it was ok
Oh, this series.....

I apparently have a love/hate relationship with Queen and Country. I want to like it, I really do, the stories aren't uninteresting but the problem here is the same as the one I had with the first volume. Only worse. The art is not very good. Actually, that is not fair, the art is what it is, but it simply does not suit this story. The main problem (of many) is the way Tara is drawn in this volume. In the first, she was a normal looking woman, pretty but nothing special, in t
Quentin Wallace
Dec 22, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
In this volume we see the complications that can arise when an inter-office romance develops between agents. Chace and Kittering begin to see each other, which I'm sure is not going to end well.

The main storyline involves a plot to pump sarin gas into the locker room of the UK Soccer team. It's a race against time, and very suspenseful. That's the action aspect, but really this volume is more about the people and their relationships. I'm sure later volumes will examine the relationships further.
47Time
Oct 24, 2016 47Time rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics-fiction
This story arc lost me from the first issue. Too many names, too many references to things that, for some reason, the writer thinks I'm familiar with. It's definitely not a casual read since it requires that bit of focus that I wasn't able to give it. I can't feel anything for the characters. This read was without any sort of flavour.

Thankfully, each issue clarified what happened in the last one, so it wasn't a total waste. It's about a tip that chemical weapons will be released somewhere in Bri
Bryson Kopf
This was certainly the most epic of the missions thus far in Q&C; the team learns about an immient nerve gas attack that is going to hit a major European event. This trade is also interesting since it was the first volume that came out post-9/11, and it has hit the team hard. The stakes feel much higher, and in this case they are. There is a bit less character development in this one, but it is fantastic in the action/mystery departments. Great stuff!
Ashish
Mar 28, 2014 Ashish rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, spy
This one's good on it's own, but it falters in trying to live up to the standards set by it's predecessor Morning Star- and add a little personal drama and a changed art technique for more stylization, it feels a bit - ah, comicky. The story's also a bit more convoluted than the other two. I'd still go onto the next, but it's not brilliance on display here.
Brian
Feb 16, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-fiction
One more successful mission. The lowest seniority operative, Ed, manages to parachute into Turkey to complete a mission. Tara, second in seniority of the three agents has a brief fling with Ed, third in priority. Things have been going well for the team, but that could change.
Ruth
Feb 17, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it
I thought the storyline itself was great. Excellent writing. But the drawings of Agent Chace for this volume were over-sexualized in a way that I found distracting. She looked like giant boob job Barbie.
catechism
Nov 13, 2014 catechism rated it liked it
I really liked the story in this one and would have given it five stars, except the art was terrrrrrrible. the drastic change in the characters was jarring, and turning Tara into an armed pair of tits was a huge turnoff.
BrokenMnemonic
Nov 02, 2015 BrokenMnemonic rated it it was amazing
I like the art style in this much less than in the previous two versions, but the story is top-notch.
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Verityn
Verityn rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Abriefcoldwind
Abriefcoldwind rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Juan  pablo
Juan pablo rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
David Forsythe
David Forsythe rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2012
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Dalton Everett
Dalton Everett rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Isaackelley
Isaackelley rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2011
bernard
bernard rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2009
Jorge Muñoz
Jorge Muñoz rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Esmira Serova
Esmira Serova rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Dan Grendell
Dan Grendell rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2009
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • The Losers, Vol. 2: Double Down
  • The Escapists
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 4: Gorilla Warfare
  • Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home
  • Astro City, Vol. 6: The Dark Age, Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Queen and Country (8 books)
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 1: Broken Ground