Start by marking “A Fistful of Rain” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Greg Rucka has earned the kind of reputation that all thriller writers envy: his crime fiction grabs readers by the throat and compels them to read as if their own lives were at stake. Now, in an electrifying departure, Rucka creates a new kind of hero: a damaged young woman in free fall who’s not only in danger—but dangerous.

A Fistful of Rain

Mim Bracca is riding the fast...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Rain

Maddy
RATING: 4.75

There's a stereotype about the world of rock and roll that depicts the musicians as living a wild lifestyle with all the drugs, booze and sex that they could ever want available to them at a snap of the fingers. It's certainly true of the band "Tailhook"—the lead singer is sleeping with everyone who attracts her in the least; and the lead guitarist, Mim Bracca, is in an alcoholic haze most of the time. The situation becomes so bad with her that the other band members have ejected her...more
Lauren
The book, Fistful of Rain, was definitely not the type of book I was looking for. It's about an alcoholic, chain-smoking, self-centered rock star and what happens when she, Miss Mim Bracca, gets home early from her tour. If you're still interested (which I wouldn't have been, had I known) than as soon as you open the book, you'll notice how confusing and overly complicated this book is.

For me to give a book more than two stars I have to be able to relate to the character and the writing has to s...more
Stu West
Remember the '80s, when acts like Michael Jackson, The Police, etc. appealed to everyone from little kids to grandparents? Greg Rucka does, and unfortunately this 2003 novel proceeds as though today's music industry is still like that. In a world where teenagers are listening en masse to acts no-one over the age of 30 has ever heard of, it doesn't ring true when the rock star main character of A Fistful of Rain is recognized by everyone from kids at the mall to the police officers investigating...more
Candace Klenk
Oct 16, 2009 Candace Klenk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a book to kill some time
Giving it a solid three....it was a decent book, super easy to read, could've had it done a lot sooner, but life sometimes gets in the away. This book was about a chick in a rock band that is very fond of alcohol. At the beginning of the book she gets kicked out of the band and sent home to Portland, Oregon....and from there the weird stuff begins. My thing about "murder mystery" type of books is that I like to have a chance at solving the murder myself....this book didn't give me that opportuni...more
Joey Cruz
I had no idea what to expect with this book -- the preview text doesn't really tell you much, except that the main character lives a dangerous existence that is about to go off the rails. Aside from that, you're pretty much left to discover it on your own. Perhaps because of this, or perhaps because I was in the middle of a months-long Atticus Kodiak binge, I was a little slow to pick up interest in this new character and her story. Instead of the high stakes, life and death world Kodiak inhabit...more
LordofDorkness
One of my dad's books, actually. I rarely read any suspense or thriller books, but I enjoyed this one. What sets it apart from other books I've read in the genre, was the realism, and plausibility of the people in it and how they react to the situation around them. There are thrills, but I was always aware of them happening with
defined, three dimensional people. That's one of the main things I liked about it, though I don't think I'm doing the best job of defining what I mean by that. Anyway, t...more
SA
Dec 31, 2013 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I picked this up randomly, because I wanted to read Rucka's fiction but I didn't want to get stuck in another series. And I'm so glad I did because the protagonist is a key character in Stumptown, Vol. 2 and I wouldn't have understood half as much about what was going otherwise.

The protagonist is not someone I empathize with, and in truth I'm not sure you're really supposed to like her, given that she's fucking up right and left and is too messed up to really understand what she's gotten involv...more
Lil Phil
This is the first Rucka novel I read after primarily sticking to his comic work. I read it in one sitting. His language is clear and concise. His world is well researched. His characters are believable. This is not a book to rant and rave about to the high heavens and it certainly doesn't aim to split hairs with high controversy and a beyond-brilliant plot twist. It's a straight-forward whodunnit novel that you can easily spend time with. It does that job well. And for that, I love it.

Josh
Of all of the stand alone books I've read over the years, this is by far the best I've ever held in my hands. I left this book, wanting and needing nothing more. I was purely satisfied with it from beginning to end, the character development was strong enough, without dragging out the story, the plot was solid, the build up was downright phenomenal. Nothing about this book is bad, or even just okay. Pure awesome.
Andrew
Against my better judgment, I am tempted to deploy a full salvo of trite adjectives to describe Greg Rucka's A Fistful of Rain: "taut," "propulsive," "tense," "thrilling." F--- it. It's all of those things. It is also a showcase for Rucka's facility with complex character, moral ambiguity, and spare, vivid description. As page-turners go, this one goes far.
Amy Nielsen (is going cerebral for 2014)
Decent in terms of suspense for a murder mystery which I'm not usually much into. Crazy turn at the end that was totally unpredictable it left me a little empty. Way too much language and overall just a little too liberal for my liking. Not really recommended at all to my more conservative friends.
Glennie
I picked up this book, simply because of the title. I'm a big fan of Warren Zevon, and "A Fistful of Rain" is one of his songs. It's a good read, twisted plot, and a little confusing at time. The ending was a surprise; came out of left field for me. Good book for a rainy day.
Greg Allan Holcomb
I'm not sure how I missed this book, been reading Rucka's stuff since the first issue of _Whiteout_ came out.
The story of a rockchick that had a lousy childhood that everything bad catches up to her in one week.

Not part of the AK series, so this is a stand alone story.
Susie Dahlk
I will definitely read Greg Rucka again. This book amazingly quick-paced and thrilling! I couldn't anticipate what might come next, it was all so lurid and exposed. A great read for thrill seekers!
Joey Montano
I read this book at the end of my senior year and I absolutely loved it. Mim Bracca played the role so great I couldn't put the book down. I would definitely read this book again.
Ben
Feb 12, 2009 Ben rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Good enjoyable read, though there were a few minor plot holes that bothered me. Rucka is always an enjoyable read, even if he really puts his main characters through the ringer.
Sean
Not as good as his kodak books, but passable. His characters are alway slightly damaged just to the point of disrepair. Never the less a well written book
Steve
While not a Kodak or Queen and Country book, a great stand alone that shows the growth Rucka has made as a writer. He's not just for comics!
Steve
a good book by an author i had never read before. a really imaginative thriller, with interesting characters and nonstop suspense. i liked it.
Joseph OToole
I wouldn't put it at exactly five stars, but it's my favorite of the many (read: all) Rucka novels I've read recently. Call it 4.5.
Jim A
My enjoyment of the Atticus Kodiak series did not carry forward to this book. Just wasn't the same experience for me.
Squeaky
An enjoyable thriller that keeps moving right along. Will check out some of his other books.
Penny
This was another one of my favorites of his....
Aaron
May 01, 2007 Aaron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
First non-Kodiak Rucka book I read. Great stuff.
Donnajo
Apr 12, 2011 Donnajo marked it as to-read
Riverdale library sale 3/26-27/11
Rob
Decent, cliché.
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
James Brigham
James Brigham marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0553581821, A Fistful of Rain 3 149 Dec 15, 2012 04:55PM
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 4
  • Born Bad: Collected Stories
  • The Cold Spot
  • Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen
  • The Conquest
  • Speak of the Devil
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 2: Chelo's Burden
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • The Suppliants
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • Shadow Man
  • Raising the Past (Origins Edition, #2)
  • Choke Hold (Hard Case Crime, #104)
  • Echoes
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • The Secret Lives of Married Women (Hard Case Crime #113)
  • A Book of Horrors
  • The Bone Parade
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1