Start by marking “A Fistful of Rain” as Want to Read:

A Fistful of Rain

Greg Rucka has earned the kind of reputation that all thriller writers envy: his crime fiction grabs readers by the throat and compels them to read as if their own lives were at stake. Now, in an electrifying departure, Rucka creates a new kind of hero: a damaged young woman in free fall who’s not only in danger—but dangerous.

A Fistful of Rain

Mim Bracca is riding the fast
Published February 3rd 2004 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Fistful of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fistful of Rain

Maddy
Jun 03, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tops, 2003-reads
RATING: 4.75

There's a stereotype about the world of rock and roll that depicts the musicians as living a wild lifestyle with all the drugs, booze and sex that they could ever want available to them at a snap of the fingers. It's certainly true of the band "Tailhook"—the lead singer is sleeping with everyone who attracts her in the least; and the lead guitarist, Mim Bracca, is in an alcoholic haze most of the time. The situation becomes so bad with her that the other band members have ejected her
Tristan Robin Blakeman
A most unusual kind of rock and roll novel - one that seems to have been written by an insider and not an envious made up world created by a wannabe. The characters fight and declare mini-wars with each other - but to the outside eye it's clear they all love each other - albeit, expressed in a way most of us can't related to personally.

I never like to give too much away in these reviews - it seems so unfair to those who want to discover those same tidits as they read - as I do! So, briefly, the
Ebehi
Feb 06, 2016 Ebehi rated it it was ok
I was about a third of the way into the book when I decided to start skimming over passages, which is never a good sign.

The story started out well enough, describing Mim's alcoholism and troubled childhood, but when Rucka decides to ramp up the suspense and danger, the whole thing becomes ludicrous. Characters act stupidly for no other reason than to move the story along.

(view spoiler)
John Marsh
Jun 02, 2016 John Marsh rated it it was amazing
Michael E.
Sep 02, 2015 Michael E. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: detective fiction, noir
Like many people my age, we were first introduced to Greg Rucka through DC Comics, specifically his brilliant run (with Brubaker) on GCPD; or through he (sadly way to short) run on Wolverine. Rucka has always stood out among various writers in the comic business by focusing on those who do not have powers, sometimes not evening having the hero show up in the book except as a cameo (like the first issue of his amazing Punisher run).
For years I have wanted to read one of his fiction novels, but n
Lauren
Jan 19, 2011 Lauren rated it did not like it
The book, Fistful of Rain, was definitely not the type of book I was looking for. It's about an alcoholic, chain-smoking, self-centered rock star and what happens when she, Miss Mim Bracca, gets home early from her tour. If you're still interested (which I wouldn't have been, had I known) than as soon as you open the book, you'll notice how confusing and overly complicated this book is.

For me to give a book more than two stars I have to be able to relate to the character and the writing has to s
Candace Klenk
Oct 12, 2009 Candace Klenk rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a book to kill some time
Giving it a solid three....it was a decent book, super easy to read, could've had it done a lot sooner, but life sometimes gets in the away. This book was about a chick in a rock band that is very fond of alcohol. At the beginning of the book she gets kicked out of the band and sent home to Portland, Oregon....and from there the weird stuff begins. My thing about "murder mystery" type of books is that I like to have a chance at solving the murder myself....this book didn't give me that opportuni ...more
Stu West
Sep 22, 2008 Stu West rated it liked it
Remember the '80s, when acts like Michael Jackson, The Police, etc. appealed to everyone from little kids to grandparents? Greg Rucka does, and unfortunately this 2003 novel proceeds as though today's music industry is still like that. In a world where teenagers are listening en masse to acts no-one over the age of 30 has ever heard of, it doesn't ring true when the rock star main character of A Fistful of Rain is recognized by everyone from kids at the mall to the police officers investigating ...more
LordOfDorkness
Mar 02, 2012 LordOfDorkness rated it really liked it
One of my dad's books, actually. I rarely read any suspense or thriller books, but I enjoyed this one. What sets it apart from other books I've read in the genre, was the realism, and plausibility of the people in it and how they react to the situation around them. There are thrills, but I was always aware of them happening with
defined, three dimensional people. That's one of the main things I liked about it, though I don't think I'm doing the best job of defining what I mean by that. Anyway, t
Joey Cruz
Aug 10, 2011 Joey Cruz rated it really liked it
I had no idea what to expect with this book -- the preview text doesn't really tell you much, except that the main character lives a dangerous existence that is about to go off the rails. Aside from that, you're pretty much left to discover it on your own. Perhaps because of this, or perhaps because I was in the middle of a months-long Atticus Kodiak binge, I was a little slow to pick up interest in this new character and her story. Instead of the high stakes, life and death world Kodiak inhabit ...more
SA
Jun 18, 2013 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I picked this up randomly, because I wanted to read Rucka's fiction but I didn't want to get stuck in another series. And I'm so glad I did because the protagonist is a key character in Stumptown, Vol. 2 and I wouldn't have understood half as much about what was going otherwise.

The protagonist is not someone I empathize with, and in truth I'm not sure you're really supposed to like her, given that she's fucking up right and left and is too messed up to really understand what she's gotten involv
David Linzee
Apr 15, 2016 David Linzee rated it liked it
Greg Rucka is one of the still not overly large group of male authors who write about strong women detectives. Prob'ly because he went to Vassar. He's best known, I guess, for the graphic novel and movie White Out. The heroine of this mystery is Mim Bracca, talented, hard-drinking guitarist for the rock group Tailhook. She's being stalked by a psycho, but unlike in "The Bodyguard," she takes on the detective work herself rather than find a guy to do it. Her search leads her into her own traumati ...more
Josh
Sep 24, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing
Of all of the stand alone books I've read over the years, this is by far the best I've ever held in my hands. I left this book, wanting and needing nothing more. I was purely satisfied with it from beginning to end, the character development was strong enough, without dragging out the story, the plot was solid, the build up was downright phenomenal. Nothing about this book is bad, or even just okay. Pure awesome.
Lil Phil
Aug 08, 2012 Lil Phil rated it liked it
This is the first Rucka novel I read after primarily sticking to his comic work. I read it in one sitting. His language is clear and concise. His world is well researched. His characters are believable. This is not a book to rant and rave about to the high heavens and it certainly doesn't aim to split hairs with high controversy and a beyond-brilliant plot twist. It's a straight-forward whodunnit novel that you can easily spend time with. It does that job well. And for that, I love it.

Amy Nielsen
Feb 03, 2011 Amy Nielsen rated it liked it
Decent in terms of suspense for a murder mystery which I'm not usually much into. Crazy turn at the end that was totally unpredictable it left me a little empty. Way too much language and overall just a little too liberal for my liking. Not really recommended at all to my more conservative friends.
Andrew
May 04, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Against my better judgment, I am tempted to deploy a full salvo of trite adjectives to describe Greg Rucka's A Fistful of Rain: "taut," "propulsive," "tense," "thrilling." F--- it. It's all of those things. It is also a showcase for Rucka's facility with complex character, moral ambiguity, and spare, vivid description. As page-turners go, this one goes far.
Greg Allan Holcomb
Jul 10, 2010 Greg Allan Holcomb rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I missed this book, been reading Rucka's stuff since the first issue of _Whiteout_ came out.
The story of a rockchick that had a lousy childhood that everything bad catches up to her in one week.

Not part of the AK series, so this is a stand alone story.
Glennie
Nov 04, 2012 Glennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I picked up this book, simply because of the title. I'm a big fan of Warren Zevon, and "A Fistful of Rain" is one of his songs. It's a good read, twisted plot, and a little confusing at time. The ending was a surprise; came out of left field for me. Good book for a rainy day.
Annie Sem
Dec 17, 2015 Annie Sem rated it really liked it
The "protagonist" just made me want to reach out and smack her. With Rucka's books it seems as though one sees a snapshot of someone's actual life in the middle of their strife. It can be troubling, but most often is thought-provoking.
Susie Dahlk
Apr 23, 2012 Susie Dahlk rated it it was amazing
I will definitely read Greg Rucka again. This book amazingly quick-paced and thrilling! I couldn't anticipate what might come next, it was all so lurid and exposed. A great read for thrill seekers!
Kris Kizer
Nov 18, 2014 Kris Kizer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this quick mystery read. The characters were deeply flawed and very likeable - a tricky thing to write.
Joey Montano
Oct 23, 2012 Joey Montano rated it it was amazing
I read this book at the end of my senior year and I absolutely loved it. Mim Bracca played the role so great I couldn't put the book down. I would definitely read this book again.
Steve
Jan 22, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book by an author i had never read before. a really imaginative thriller, with interesting characters and nonstop suspense. i liked it.
Steve
Jan 04, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
While not a Kodak or Queen and Country book, a great stand alone that shows the growth Rucka has made as a writer. He's not just for comics!
Marie Collins
Sep 12, 2016 Marie Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping Read

Couldn't put down this fast paced story, drunken rockstar is screwing up her life herself, when stalkers and her father just out of prison make things worse.
Jim A
Oct 19, 2013 Jim A rated it it was ok
My enjoyment of the Atticus Kodiak series did not carry forward to this book. Just wasn't the same experience for me.
Ben
Feb 09, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good enjoyable read, though there were a few minor plot holes that bothered me. Rucka is always an enjoyable read, even if he really puts his main characters through the ringer.
Joseph OToole
Dec 14, 2010 Joseph OToole rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't put it at exactly five stars, but it's my favorite of the many (read: all) Rucka novels I've read recently. Call it 4.5.
Sean
Jul 14, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it
Not as good as his kodak books, but passable. His characters are alway slightly damaged just to the point of disrepair. Never the less a well written book
Jenny Smith
Jenny Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0553581821, A Fistful of Rain 3 150 Dec 15, 2012 04:55PM
  • Empty The Sun
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • You are Here
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 19: Luba in America
  • Incredible Hulk, by Jason Aaron, Volume 2
  • Asphyxia
  • Young Liars, Vol. 2: Maestro
  • The Couriers: The Complete Series
  • Red Lights
  • Red Hook (Jack Leightner, #1)
  • Atlantis: Three Tales
  • Dead Body Road
  • Batman: Jekyll and Hyde
  • Getting Off
  • Fight Club #0 FCBD 2015 Edition
  • The Darkness: Origins, Volume 1
  • The Black Diamond Detective Agency
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...