Start by marking “Belgrave Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #12)” as Want to Read:

Belgrave Square: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #12)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,119 ratings  ·  64 reviews
When an obscure moneylender named William Weems is murdered in the humble Clerkenwell district, there are no mourners—and there is more than a little discreet rejoicing among those whose meager earnings he so mercilessly devoured. Yet when Inspector Pitt finds in the murdered man’s office a list containing the names of some of London’s most distinguished gentlemen, he begi...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Belgrave Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belgrave Square

Sue
I don't think anyone is surprised at the end by who killed the unsavory usurer, although the way it is wrapped up in the end was a surprise. This book focuses less on the vagaries of Victorian society and more on politics in the era so I liked it and gave it 4 stars. The Inner Circle is introduced and they are a highly secretive group of influential men who want to control politics and business. Maybe everything. It's a secret. There was more of Thomas than Charlotte in this one and I like his c...more
Katy M
Oh my. The suspense keeps you in it's grip until the very last page!

Oh my. The suspense keeps you in it's grip until the very last page!

I never put spoilers in my reviews.I'd like to mention that Random House does not proofread as well as I'd like. The copies put out by Open Road Media were far better edited.
Anne Perry is a master of the written word. Every word, phrase, paragraph is placed for maximum effect. There is no filler or waste. She has obviously researched the era exhaustively. Her in...more
Beth Chandler
First off, the author has clearly done her homework regarding period authenticity--the story rings with it throughout, and in a good way. The mystery is twisty, with plenty of red herrings, and I enjoyed trying to work it out, figuring things out before Pitt and Drummond did (but then I had more information than they did.) I love that Charlotte contributes to Thomas Pitt's work, and that their family life is mixed in with the mystery to just the right amount. Also, other blooming romances are a...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Thomas Pitt is called in to investigate the murder of a money lender and blackmailer because the murder may involve a member of the "inner circle," a powerful secret society pledged to support each other whenever called upon. There are two lists left at the money lender's house; one of the debts of poor struggling souls and another of upperclass men who are more likely to have been victims of blackmail.

Thomas finds himself investigating people whom he knows and in many instances, people who are...more
Julie
Although I had the big "plot twists" figured out long before they were revealed by the author, I still really enjoyed following Pitt's path as he unraveled the whole sordid story. I very much liked the secondary characters as well as the secondary and tertiary plot lines and the inevitable red herrings. What kept this from being a five star review was the abruptness of the ending and the unanswered questions left lingering because of it. For instance, how did Byam not know who was blackmailing h...more
Scot
Number 12 in this series featuring the husband/wife detective team of Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. In this installment, Drummond calls in Thomas to help on a delicate matter: a peer is being blackmailed by a usurer, and when the blackmailer is found dead two lists are discovered: one of those who owed the moneylender debts they dearly wished to keep quiet and another of individuals being blackmailed. So many had motives to kill, so who did it?

This installment might not be as rich in details of soc...more
Aimee
I picked this up on a whim at a used bookstore in West Chester, PA one day on my lunch break just before I left for a trip to London. I love mysteries but had always avoided Anne Perry because her detectives are policemen and I prefer the cozier private detectives. Also, I saw the movie Heavenly Creatures and had mixed feelings about reading mystery novels written by a murderer. But I love me some Victorian literature and was desperate for something to read on the plane. As it happened, I didn't...more
Nicole
Dec 22, 2007 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like historical mysteries
Shelves: 19thcentury, mystery
I'm starting to rack up a fair number of historical mysteries, and as things go, this one was pretty good. There are about 50 other Anne Perry books just about this character that I haven't read, so I can't speak to the quality of the series as a whole, but based on this one, I'd keep reading more. Her main character, Thomas Pitt, is a little stiff at times, but on the whole pretty likable. His wife is entertaining, but I was expecting a little more out of her. Having partially chosen to read th...more
As always with AP books she keeps you guessing until the last 3 or 4 pages of a story. Figured out what the twist in this one was early on but she still surprised me with the ending. A "peer of the realm" comes to Pitt's boss and says he thinks he may be implicated in the murder of a back street usurer. This book introduces a group that will make several appearances in subsequent books, that being, a secretive group calling itself The Inner Circle. They play a major role in this story. These guy...more
Tracy Collier
I listened to the recording by Davina Porter. Now I am having book hang-over. This has a great plot twist and surprise ending. I always struggle keeping all the characters straight and I had to go back to remember who two of them were. But, fantastic book in a terrific series!
Christine
When I started reading this book, I did not realize that it was part of a series. However, it was not necessary to read the other books before this one. The overall story was interesting, but the author had a tendency to be very long-winded. It got to the point where I was not even in suspense over "who done it". However, I felt that the interesting stories of the many characters in the book somewhat made up for this. While I had correctly identified the killer before this was revealed, there wa...more
Sumi
Emily's new husband, Jack, is running for Parliament and somehow the murder or an obscure moneylender in a poor section of town is connected to one of the member's of the political social circle that Jack and Emily must cultivate.

Since Emily is occasionally under the weather with her pregnancy, Charlotte substitutes as hostess and some of the best bits of the book are the little barbs that all the ladies exchange with each other.

I don't think anyone will be surprised by who the murderer is by t...more
Marta
Madelyn
A great story of Victorian London. Police Inspector Thomas Pitt is trying to solve another crime. Pitt's clever, well-born wife, Charlotte assists and he is able to root out the monstrous truth of the crime.
Lynn
Well, it wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was an interesting portrayal of the mores and manners of the 1880's in London. It had an ending I never expected.
Kathy England
Mystery set in Victorian England. The main theme is usury.
Gerry
A money lender is murdered and notes left suggest a variety of suspects, many of them in prominent positions. Some of those named appear nervous, other oblivious to the crime.

Inspector Pitt is especially put on the case and, with the aid of his wife, Charlotte, he moves effortlessly through the wealthy mansions and squalid hovels of Victorian London in an attempt to uncover the mystery.

Ultimately he does so but not before a most surprising ending to an enjoyable tale that captures the feel and s...more
Felicity
Oct 26, 2008 Felicity rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery readers, those interested in Victorian London
I've read quite a few Anne Perry novels in both the Pitt and Monk series, and this one managed to surprise me regardless. A more sidelong and attenuated connection than usual between the worlds of Thomas's professional life and Charlotte's social meddling made this a challenging mystery indeed. More political than usual, the story of blackmail and secret societies takes place during an intriguing time in London's history -- when the failure to catch Jack the Ripper had called the continued exist...more
Laura Nadal
Agree with me or not, but I liked the poetic justice. My thoughts are usually very old testament and this is a murder I could get behind. Having no love or respect for the bloodsuckers who glean their wealth out of the misery of other I would have understood completely why someone would take out a moneylender like that. That said, I do not stand behind the reason for this particular murder - very dislikable, but with a good twist at the end. You also get to see Micah Drummond fall in love :)
Allison
Oh, this was a great one! I started it not expecting much because the last couple of books by Perry were rather on the awful side. This one had a new social injustice of the Victorian age (usurers), enough side story of both Thomas Pitt and Micah Drummand to make it personal, a plausible murder plot line and even though you saw part of the ending coming it still had a jaw dropping twist. I wanted to read it again right after I finished it to catch the nuances I knew I had missed.
Suzane
Didn't see the ending twist coming.
Luan
I listened to this book on tape/cd. I love the reader, an english accent and the book comes even more to life when she reads. This might be my favorite way to read an Anne Perry book.

Perry's writing is always full of detail and description that enhance the reading. She tackles a variety of topics with an interesting flair. I found this to be a very good read/listen. I recommend it.
Gail
This is the one that introduces the 'Inner Circle.' Very good as usual.
Chery
I love the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt mystery series, but I must admit that this one had me a little disappointed. Only one dead body! But, the ending; actually the last few pages blew me away. I kept saying "wow" over and over again. Don't stop reading. The end is well worth the slow paced body of the book. Once again Anne Perry keeps me coming back for more.
Bee
Really good. It started out a bit slowly, but towards the latter half it really started cranking and I was totally engrossed in figuring things out. Interestingly, I solved two major plot twists myself, but wasn't sure enough to lose any interest in seeing if I was right and seeing how it all played out. Great series that keeps getting better and better.
Brenda Haven
good story, kind of figured it out before the end but still was a good read. don't know who the character on the front cover is supposed to be...hope it's not the book cover artist's interpretation of Pitt...I have a better imagination of what I think he looks like...and not like Charlie Chaplin for sure like the cover shows! LOL!
Angela
I quite enjoyed this story -- I don't think I will hunt down more Thomas & Charolette Pitt stories, but if they come my way I will read them.

I enjoyed the feel of Victorian life, and well, I can admit that I didn't see the WHO of the who-dunit coming. It is a bit of a twist at the end, at least is was for me.
Debbie
it was my kind of book in one way, but not in another. I liked that there was no sex scenes and no violent or scary scenes. However, it seemed to drag a little, and the end was not just a twist ending, but a twisted ending. Other than that, it was a pretty good read. I will read more of her books.
Typical Anne Perry book in the Pitt series. More focus on development of the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt characters than on the mystery itself. That is what makes this series enjoyable for me. As always, you get details on upper class Victorian life and how manners, morals, and appearances are everything.
Mary Barleycorn
I love Anne Perry and have read all of this series!
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • An Excellent Mystery (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #11)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate...more
More about Anne Perry...
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)

“Your own gown is most delicately suitable, both to the occasion and to yourself,' to be translated: Your gown is insipid and entirely forgettable. If you wear it on every other occasion this entire season, no one will notice or care.” 3 likes