Start by marking “Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Get your fiction to that next level, where agents and editors sit up and take notice––and where readers keep coming back for more.

#1 bestselling writing teacher James Scott Bell will show you, with nuts and bolts and proven techniques, how you can write fiction that sells.

WRITING FICTION FOR ALL YOUR WORTH contains the best of James Scott Bell's articles and blog posts on
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Fiction for All You're Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Fiction for All You're Worth

James Scott Bell has put together another good how-to book for every writer's "never ending writing improvement program". I was hooked the moment he included, "in defense of how-to books" in the introduction. (So many things to say about that, but I won't digress except to say that I think how-to books, especially the good ones, like Mr. Bell's, are invaluable resources!) The book has numerous previously posted blog articles, tips, and interviews done in a philosophical and practical but convers ...more
Gyula
First I found a little uncomfortable that the book is a series of earlier blog posts. (They may have been edited, may not, I didn’t check it out.) But later I forgot about it because of the great content.

Usually I find a writing book worth the money if I learn something valuable from it. Well, I learned a lot of good stuff from Mr Bell. A few examples:
- I started to plan my writing time, and to stick to a weekly quota. I do it for a few weeks only, but in this way I managed to finish two short s
Eric Wright
Bell's suggestions and interviews with other writers are extremely helpful to me, as a writer. As I read I found myself returning to my work in progress to make corrections or changes.

The only problem with the book was that I had it on Kindle and could not, as is my habit underline, for later review and use. I know some people make notes in Kindle, but I find a tablet very awkward to use as compared to a print book. I'll need to go and buy a copy.

In the interview section he listed many authors
Norma Huss
This is for my writing buddies. This book is a large group of James Scott Bell's very interesting and helpful blog posts as well as several interviews with best-selling authors on writing. Highly recommended for continuing study of the writing craft. Bell is one of my favorite authors of writing books. He also practices what he preaches-namely, study craft. For me, this was a "must have."
Pam Asberry
James Scott Bell has done it again. A must-read for anyone who aspires to write quality fiction, this book contains information on the craft of writing, a glimpse into Bell's creative process and interviews with other successful authors. It is chock full of inspiring quotes, and even contains a section on National Novel Writing Month. Highly recommended!
Francene Carroll
Excellent practical advice and sprinkles of inspiration for aspiring and established writers and some great exercises to get the creative juices flowing. This author has clearly done his homework on how to write well. I was very pleased to discover that Mr Bell has written many more books on the craft of writing.
Pamela Aidan
I found Bell's ideas an encouragement, but the scatter-shot nature of the contents betrayed the book's origins as material from a blog or column. Love to see him re-write this as a real book...but then maybe he has, because this is the only one I've read. Still...thanks for the tips, Mr. Bell. I'll use them!
Martha Ramirez
As always, another excellent writing book by JSB! Lots of great tips. I enjoyed reading. I'm eagerly awaiting his latest writing book in the mail: Elements of Fiction Writing - Conflict and Suspense. If you haven't already read any of Jim's books--they are all a must have!
Judy B. Burford
James Scott Bell is clear and concise in this "how to" book on writing. If you read it and do the exercises provided, you can't help but come out the other side a better writer. So what are you waiting for?
Rhonda Blackhurst
This was my least favorite James Scott Bell book. It's clear he's not a fan of indie authors and seems to allude to the fact that people only self-pub because they can't find an agent or publisher.
Christa Allan
The chapter on his writer's notebook is invaluable. Practical, concise, and strategic questions and guidelines for developing the heart and soul of the novel.
Jackee
Some information is the same as his other books, but it was still a very motivating book. When Bell talks writing, I love to listen.
L.J. Kentowski
This book is loaded with great advice for novel writers! Lots of highlighting opportunities!
Taylor
Great little book, but could've been more organized.
Aleksandr Voinov
A collection of blog posts from The Kill Zone.
Christine
This was a motivational quick read.
Jessica
great for budding writers!
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Susan Dollyhigh
Susan Dollyhigh marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sunita Netto
Sunita Netto marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Josephine Anne
Josephine Anne marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...
Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel Presumed Guilty