Start by marking “Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Get your fiction to that next level, where agents and editors sit up and take notice––and where readers keep coming back for more.

#1 bestselling writing teacher James Scott Bell will show you, with nuts and bolts and proven techniques, how you can write fiction that sells.

WRITING FICTION FOR ALL YOUR WORTH contains the best of James Scott Bell's articles and blog posts on
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Fiction for All You're Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Fiction for All You're Worth

Aug 20, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Scott Bell has put together another good how-to book for every writer's "never ending writing improvement program". I was hooked the moment he included, "in defense of how-to books" in the introduction. (So many things to say about that, but I won't digress except to say that I think how-to books, especially the good ones, like Mr. Bell's, are invaluable resources!) The book has numerous previously posted blog articles, tips, and interviews done in a philosophical and practical but convers ...more
Gyula
May 20, 2011 Gyula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
First I found a little uncomfortable that the book is a series of earlier blog posts. (They may have been edited, may not, I didn’t check it out.) But later I forgot about it because of the great content.

Usually I find a writing book worth the money if I learn something valuable from it. Well, I learned a lot of good stuff from Mr Bell. A few examples:
- I started to plan my writing time, and to stick to a weekly quota. I do it for a few weeks only, but in this way I managed to finish two short s
Eric Wright
Nov 14, 2013 Eric Wright rated it it was amazing
Bell's suggestions and interviews with other writers are extremely helpful to me, as a writer. As I read I found myself returning to my work in progress to make corrections or changes.

The only problem with the book was that I had it on Kindle and could not, as is my habit underline, for later review and use. I know some people make notes in Kindle, but I find a tablet very awkward to use as compared to a print book. I'll need to go and buy a copy.

In the interview section he listed many authors
Norma Huss
Sep 22, 2012 Norma Huss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, writing
This is for my writing buddies. This book is a large group of James Scott Bell's very interesting and helpful blog posts as well as several interviews with best-selling authors on writing. Highly recommended for continuing study of the writing craft. Bell is one of my favorite authors of writing books. He also practices what he preaches-namely, study craft. For me, this was a "must have."
Pam Asberry
Oct 28, 2011 Pam Asberry rated it it was amazing
James Scott Bell has done it again. A must-read for anyone who aspires to write quality fiction, this book contains information on the craft of writing, a glimpse into Bell's creative process and interviews with other successful authors. It is chock full of inspiring quotes, and even contains a section on National Novel Writing Month. Highly recommended!
Francene Carroll
Dec 01, 2013 Francene Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent practical advice and sprinkles of inspiration for aspiring and established writers and some great exercises to get the creative juices flowing. This author has clearly done his homework on how to write well. I was very pleased to discover that Mr Bell has written many more books on the craft of writing.
Pamela Aidan
Oct 25, 2011 Pamela Aidan rated it really liked it
I found Bell's ideas an encouragement, but the scatter-shot nature of the contents betrayed the book's origins as material from a blog or column. Love to see him re-write this as a real book...but then maybe he has, because this is the only one I've read. Still...thanks for the tips, Mr. Bell. I'll use them!
Martha Ramirez
Feb 06, 2012 Martha Ramirez rated it it was amazing
As always, another excellent writing book by JSB! Lots of great tips. I enjoyed reading. I'm eagerly awaiting his latest writing book in the mail: Elements of Fiction Writing - Conflict and Suspense. If you haven't already read any of Jim's books--they are all a must have!
Judy B. Burford
James Scott Bell is clear and concise in this "how to" book on writing. If you read it and do the exercises provided, you can't help but come out the other side a better writer. So what are you waiting for?
Rhonda Blackhurst
This was my least favorite James Scott Bell book. It's clear he's not a fan of indie authors and seems to allude to the fact that people only self-pub because they can't find an agent or publisher.
Christa Allan
May 26, 2011 Christa Allan rated it it was amazing
The chapter on his writer's notebook is invaluable. Practical, concise, and strategic questions and guidelines for developing the heart and soul of the novel.
Jackee
Some information is the same as his other books, but it was still a very motivating book. When Bell talks writing, I love to listen.
L.J. Kentowski
Apr 16, 2012 L.J. Kentowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, favorites
This book is loaded with great advice for novel writers! Lots of highlighting opportunities!
LJ
Oct 04, 2014 LJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-writing
Great little book, but could've been more organized.
Aleksandr Voinov
A collection of blog posts from The Kill Zone.
Christine
Nov 23, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
This was a motivational quick read.
Jessica
Sep 03, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
great for budding writers!
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
tee
tee marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
FDS
FDS marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Bernard Ryefield
Bernard Ryefield marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Dannii Elle
Dannii Elle marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Anton .Johansson
Anton .Johansson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Amber Akins
Amber Akins rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Elesa
Elesa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Ken Carroll
Ken Carroll marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Perfecting Plot: Charting the Hero's Journey (Red Sneaker Writers Book Series) (Volume 3)
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Crafting Novels & Short Stories: The Complete Guide to Writing Great Fiction
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Professional Plot Outline Mini-Course
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • The Busy Writer's One Hour Plot
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...