Finder

Finder (Atticus Kodiak #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  591 ratings  ·  25 reviews
As a bodyguard, Atticus Kodiak knows danger is part of the job. But he still can't shake his guilt over his best friend's death in their last assignment. As a bouncer at a hard-core club on the Lower West Side, Atticus is responsible for nothing more than keeping the scene under control. Until he sees Erika Wyatt, the teenage daughter of an Army colonel Atticus once guarde...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1997)

Jacob
Somehow even more engaging than "Keeper", Greg Rucka's second installment in the Atticus Kodiak series is a model for how to do a cross-genre thriller. It's not a detective story, though the elements are there, nor is it a straight up action thriller. What we get instead is what Rucka does best, a character study set within the bounds of genre fiction.

Atticus Kodiak is a great character. He's young in a way that allows him to make mistakes that a character a few years older would avoid. Except i...more
Alan
The second Atticus Kodiak book does what Keeper did so well, and that is make the characters, situations and events feel real. I sometimes think Rucka was a better writer at the start of his career, or maybe he has a better handle on Kodiak's world than Tara Chace (his other novel series). The time Rucka spent researching the SAS, private security, and the New York bondage scene pays off story wise.

The reason this book had stayed in my TBR pile for awhile was because I wasn't ready to see how fa...more
Caroline
I can't help wondering if Greg Rucka realized what he was getting himself into with the Atticus Kodiak series. The idea of a protagonist who's a professional bodyguard -- as a opposed to a PI or a cop or an ME or any of the other zillion professions that have been thoroughly *done* in crime fiction -- is certainly intriguing. But the rub is that, in order to have the kind of exciting, action-packed, and uberviolent story that the genre demands, the bodyguard has to fail at his job, again and aga...more
Ensiform
The second of the Atticus Kodiak novels. This one opens with a blast from the hero’s past: back when he was in the Army, Atticus watched over a Colonel. Atticus had an affair with the Colonel’s wife and befriended her daughter Erika. Now, the Colonel, though he hates Atticus, hires him to watch Erika, while he and his wife each send rogue SAS teams after one another.

Okay, when you put it like that, it sounds preposterous. But as a thriller, it’s damn good --- the tension between the characters i...more
Tyler Collison
An easy, highly entertaining read, Finder reads something like an spy/detective novel, though this profession allows for some free time, so despite the poor name choice, Atticus Kodiak has a bit more personality (read: hang-ups) than crime-novel protagonists. Because of this, Finder doesn't have many lulls (save for the ridiculous amount of commas), and the result is a book that reads like a movie.

So, for me, Finder served its purpose of being something I could burn through casually before movin...more
Zachary Rawlins
I often hear this described as a detective series, which is completely inaccurate. Atticus Kodiak is, at least for the first few books, a professional bodyguard, not a detective. While the book does share some aspects with the crime genre, it is primarily concerned with the world of close protection and bodyguarding - something that I found both unique and fascinating. Rucka's lead character is largely appealing and sympathetic, if something of a blank slate. While the plot moves quickly and is...more
Betty
No sophomore slump here and I'm eager to move on to the next book in the series. Kodiak is an interesting character and Rucka explores a lot more of his backstory in this book as well as continuing to develop the relationships between Kodiak and the other members of the team.

Rucka has found a great niche with an action thriller that doesn't fall strictly into the crime genre and doesn't involve a cop or a PI, but it's hard to imagine just how far he can take a series about a bodyguard who, by vi...more
Daryl
Apr 01, 2011 Daryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
I know Greg Rucka from his work on comics, mostly his spy series Queen & Country, his DC work, the pseudo-spy Checkmate, and a run on Batman in Detective. Finder is the second novel to feature professional bodyguard Atticus Kodiak (is that a great character name or what?). I liked it as much as the first novel. I won’t say much about the plot, but Rucka’s writing style carries the book along at a breakneck pace, even in the “slower” moments. This was a really quick read for me, and one I rea...more
Jordan McPeek
Salvation through guns and violence. Good guys and bad guys. International intrigue, mercenaries, and big money. I prefer a smaller scale kind of story, ordinary people thrown into ordinary dangers and dilemmas. All the relationship stuff that filled in the long stretches between action scenes kept me reading but didn't suck me in, enthrall me. Overall, it was alright, kept me reading, but it'll be awhile before I pull Smoker off my shelf.
Mary Fitzsimons
Another winner by Rucka. Bodyguard Atticus Kodiak see the teenage daughter of Colonel Wyatt, one of his former protection cases while in the service, in a bondage club in NYC. Kodiak removes the girl from the club only to be attacked by a SAS agent. Lot's of questions, why is the SAS involved, where is the ex-wife of Wyatt and who does the girl need protection from? Lots of twists and turns.
Danny
Kodiak #2. In Finder, Atticus protects the daughter of a retired army General named Erika Wyatt (A general Atticus protected during his time in the Army). Finder picks up right after Keeper with Atticus and friends still dealing with the dramatic events at the end of Keeper. Finder provides suspense and cinematic action sequences, a page turner from beginning to end.
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: FINDER by Greg Rucka
RATING: 3/C
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Suspense, 1997, 352 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's NYC
CHARACTERS: Atticus Kodiak/bodyguard
COMMENTS: #2 in Atticus Kodiak series. Characters did not
engage me. Heavy handed on the fighting/action scenes. Atticus is hired to protect the teenaged daughter of an Army Colonel he used to work for.
Rae H
The second in the Atticus Kodiak series, this book is as amazing as the first. The ending, much like the last one, isn't your traditional happy ending yet it is not as deeply hard-hitting as the first but still is emotional and tugs at the heart strings.
David Press
Nov 18, 2007 David Press rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jan Thomas
A decent thriller book in the vein of Tom Clancy by a good writer, Greg Rucka. Also the author of great comics, 52, Gotham Central, Checkmate, Whiteout. I think I like his comics more than his prose.
Peter

this book is a mystery. this book is like the previous book by this author a good read and good characters as well as a good plot. i recommend if you like this kind of book
Tamra
I love Greg Rucka's writing, and Finder is no exception. That being said, this is pretty bleak stuff - and I say that as somebody who has a very, very high tolerance for bleak.
Drew
Not quite as good as Barry Eisler's but still a very good read! Good action scenes, but again, not as detailed as Eisler. Excellent character development.
Kay
This was fast-paced and full of surprises. An interesting blend of fast paced action and personal incites. These characters have a lot of depth.
Kathy
This series just keeps getting better and better. I love Atticus Kodiak, he's kinda of clumsy and sexy. Own to the next book
Eric
Great first novel. Enjoyed learning who Atticus is and why he does what he does. Exciting and thrilling adventure.
Ann
Jun 15, 2013 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Sharon P. Lynn
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read, and I can't wait to have time to reread the series.
Joey Cruz
The second Atticus Kodiak book... what more can I say? These books are fantastic and addictive.
keri.
a fairly decent filler book, as thriller series go.
Kathy
Slow start but eventually got better.
Maddy
RATING: 4.25
Mjl135
Mjl135 marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 4
  • Shella
  • The Wheelman
  • The Midnight Road
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
  • Do No Harm
  • All I Hold Dear
  • Christmas in Haggerty
  • Shadow Fall (Shadowchasers, #3)
  • C.J.'s Fate
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • The Deputy
  • Servant: The Acceptance (Servant, #2)
  • True Detective
  • Slayground (Parker, #14)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Nightlife
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family