Start by marking “How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences” as Want to Read:
How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences

How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences

Help your children be smart with their smarts.

At one time or another, most kids will ask (or secretly wonder), “Am I smart?” But a better question is, “In what way am I smart?” Dr. Kathy Koch’s down-to-earth and practical guide to the theory of multiple intelligences helps parents and teachers discern and develop their children’s unique wiring.

How Am I Smart? will help you
Published February 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about How am I Smart?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How am I Smart?

ABC
May 05, 2011 ABC rated it it was ok
Shelves: teens-and-adults
I don't mind if a religious author inserts a bit of religion into a parenting book, but this was way over the top religious. (Christian) It is really a Christian book disguised as a parenting book.

An example is this book will describe an intelligence and then discuss how that intelligence can be used to glorify God or to lead away from God. And there is TONS more Christian stuff than that, endlessly. I got pretty tired of it.

I just barely give this two stars.
Christie Jarvis
May 25, 2012 Christie Jarvis rated it it was amazing
If you are a parent or work with children, you MUST read this book! It has helped me to not only understand my own children but also their friends and other youth in my life. For that matter, this book will help you understand ALL people better.
There were times during reading it that I wanted to cry because I saw one of my children in a description and read about how their God given abilities are paralyzed by the way we react to them. It broke my heart to read that I have done and said some of
Mary
Aug 03, 2008 Mary rated it did not like it
I wish the blurbs for this book had pointed out the "faith based" writing style/belief system of the author. It was distracting to me when I was trying to follow the explanations of the different intelligences. I found myself skipping whole passages in every chapter about how my child could use her "smarts" for serving the church and how the author had used her "smarts" to build up her business. This book has a much narrower audience than its cover blurbs suggest. I will turn to material by Dr. ...more
Kristi
Aug 04, 2014 Kristi rated it liked it
I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Koch speak at a conference, she was excellent! The book expands those same ideas. I like her in person better, but the book is still good, just repetitive sometimes.
Denise
Jun 18, 2009 Denise rated it it was ok
I think Koch has some good points in this book but some things she says that she has said to kids brought the book down to a 2...otherwise it would have been a 3. Informative...not too entertaining.
Daisy (AnonymousA)
Jan 02, 2017 Daisy (AnonymousA) rated it really liked it
My mom read this over the summer so I ended up reading it too. I finished way before her.
Karen
Oct 15, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
The concept of multiple intelligences is no longer new. I think it would be helpful for all parents and people who work with children to familiarize themselves with the 8 intelligences and try to utilize that knowledge while raising / working with children.

This is an explicitly Christian book, which I thought was a plus.

The downsides: calling the intelligences "smarts" ("You like to move, you're body smart!" "I like patterns, I'm using my nature smart!") is just cutesy in the extreme. I cannot i
Dana
Mar 01, 2016 Dana rated it it was ok
Shelves: counseling
I fully realize that this is a very Christian-based book, but the overwhelming feeling that I was being preached at was tough to deal with, and simply annoying. There was some good information to be gleaned from the book, things that I will be able to use when working with children and learning how to get through to different learning styles, but so much of this book was totally irrelevant. At times it almost felt like the author was just writing a diary of other people in her life. That didn't ...more
Shelly Davis
Aug 14, 2012 Shelly Davis rated it it was amazing
So great to hear and read an author/public speaker who speaks boldly about multiple intelligences from a Christian perspective. Actually, it's more than just a perspective. Dr. Koch is a truly Christ-CENTERED author and speaker. She uses her amazing Word Smart to share information about how our brains work and how we can use our 'smarts' for good or evil....for the glory of God.

Though she is a Christian, she is afforded many secular engagements to help parents and educators better understand chi
Lori
Nov 29, 2007 Lori rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents or Educators
This book was a remarkable look at the thory of multiple intelligences. It is written from a faith base, and encourages anyone with children in their lives to look deep into the behavior patterns of the kids and discover their "smarts". Whether it's word smart, picture smart, logic smart, body smart, people smart, or some thing else, Dr. Kathy Koch gives a super practical guide to helping your child see themselves as a one-of-a-kind, handmade creation, put together miraculously to serve a specif ...more
Anne-Marie
Jan 26, 2010 Anne-Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I love the concept of multiple intelligences, and this guide provided a decent overview. The Christian content of the book explores the ways each intelligence might engage spirituality and the ways that each intelligence might turn toward sin (the most common sin she lists is pride based on an understanding of one's own intelligence strengths as the best). The writing, however, is quite poor, and I couldn't help but think I'd rather not have coffee with the author. It was a fine introduction to ...more
Marcia
I love this kind of thing - MBTI, learning styles, love languages, etc.

I read the original (very dry) book on multiple intelligences many years ago so this was not new content to me, but I enjoyed seeing it applied to children.

One question I still have answered is how many primary "smarts" does the average person have.
Eldon Siemens
Aug 09, 2015 Eldon Siemens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miscellaneous
my wife and I read this while driving on the highway, and found it really good in helping both to understand our kids better and assist on our planning of their home education in the months and years ahead. highly recommended!
Gina
Aug 02, 2011 Gina rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! I homeschool my kids, and I think this has helped me understand their learning styles more than any other book. It also helps me understand why they think and behave the way they do. Even if you don't homeschool, this is invaluable for understanding your kids.
Linnea
Jan 16, 2014 Linnea rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over and over. I even color-coded the pages so I can quickly find the intelligence I want to re-read. I use it in my classroom to help students see that they are all smart in different ways.
Jeanne Ellis case
Feb 09, 2014 Jeanne Ellis case rated it really liked it
A quick read and good conversation starter for kids who are otherwise gifted. Dr Kathy is a great speaker too. It is a bit over the top Christian for this progressive Christian but that's Dr Kathy.
Christi
Jan 20, 2008 Christi rated it really liked it
This book is so well written and informative! It will teach you how to figure out your child's intellegence.
Sandy
Nov 19, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
since I have 3 granddaughters,I wanted to learn what special gifts each of them have and how to help develop them further.
Elaine
Jun 02, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it
Not the best written book, but deals with interesting information. It made for a good group discussion.
Belinda
Mar 03, 2010 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Dr. Koch is a friend of mine. I love how she takes the jargon of education and puts it into the hands of everyday people.
Beth
Oct 08, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
My rating was more between a 3.5 & a 4. I felt there was very helpful insights into understanding myself as well as my husband and children. I wish I could have read the book years ago.
Stephanie
Jun 09, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to help parents understand the different intelligences and how God has created each of us (our children too) with unique combinations of smarts.
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Peyton
Peyton rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Wendi Willmer
Wendi Willmer rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
JeanineJoyner
JeanineJoyner rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Merrily
Merrily rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2014
Jan Burt
Jan Burt rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • Growing Up Social: Raising Relational Kids in a Screen-Driven World
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Pray Big for Your Marriage: The Power of Praying God's Promises for Your Relationship
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • You Can Teach Your Child Successfully Paperback
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
  • Setting Boundaries® with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
DR. KATHY KOCH is the Founder and President of Celebrate Kids, Inc., a Christian ministry based in Fort Worth, Texas. She is an internationally celebrated speaker who has influenced thousands of parents, teachers, and children in over 25 countries through keynote messages, workshops, seminars, assemblies, and other events. She also blogs regularly at www.DrKathyKoch.com.
Dr. Kathy's newest book, co