Start by marking “How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences” as Want to Read:
How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences

How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Help your children be smart with their smarts.

At one time or another, most kids will ask (or secretly wonder), “Am I smart?” But a better question is, “In what way am I smart?” Dr. Kathy Koch’s down-to-earth and practical guide to the theory of multiple intelligences helps parents and teachers discern and develop their children’s unique wiring.

How Am I Smart? will help you
Published February 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about How am I Smart?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How am I Smart?

Christie Jarvis
If you are a parent or work with children, you MUST read this book! It has helped me to not only understand my own children but also their friends and other youth in my life. For that matter, this book will help you understand ALL people better.
There were times during reading it that I wanted to cry because I saw one of my children in a description and read about how their God given abilities are paralyzed by the way we react to them. It broke my heart to read that I have done and said some of
I wish the blurbs for this book had pointed out the "faith based" writing style/belief system of the author. It was distracting to me when I was trying to follow the explanations of the different intelligences. I found myself skipping whole passages in every chapter about how my child could use her "smarts" for serving the church and how the author had used her "smarts" to build up her business. This book has a much narrower audience than its cover blurbs suggest. I will turn to material by Dr. ...more
I don't mind if a religious author inserts a bit of religion into a parenting book, but this was way over the top religious. (Christian) It is really a Christian book disguised as a parenting book.

An example is this book will describe an intelligence and then discuss how that intelligence can be used to glorify God or to lead away from God. And there is TONS more Christian stuff than that, endlessly. I got pretty tired of it.

I just barely give this two stars.
I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Koch speak at a conference, she was excellent! The book expands those same ideas. I like her in person better, but the book is still good, just repetitive sometimes.
The concept of multiple intelligences is no longer new. I think it would be helpful for all parents and people who work with children to familiarize themselves with the 8 intelligences and try to utilize that knowledge while raising / working with children.

This is an explicitly Christian book, which I thought was a plus.

The downsides: calling the intelligences "smarts" ("You like to move, you're body smart!" "I like patterns, I'm using my nature smart!") is just cutesy in the extreme. I cannot i
Shelly Davis
So great to hear and read an author/public speaker who speaks boldly about multiple intelligences from a Christian perspective. Actually, it's more than just a perspective. Dr. Koch is a truly Christ-CENTERED author and speaker. She uses her amazing Word Smart to share information about how our brains work and how we can use our 'smarts' for good or evil....for the glory of God.

Though she is a Christian, she is afforded many secular engagements to help parents and educators better understand chi
I love this kind of thing - MBTI, learning styles, love languages, etc.

I read the original (very dry) book on multiple intelligences many years ago so this was not new content to me, but I enjoyed seeing it applied to children.

One question I still have answered is how many primary "smarts" does the average person have.
Julie Wagner
Love her practical applications to encourage the multiple smarts in kids!
I love the concept of multiple intelligences, and this guide provided a decent overview. The Christian content of the book explores the ways each intelligence might engage spirituality and the ways that each intelligence might turn toward sin (the most common sin she lists is pride based on an understanding of one's own intelligence strengths as the best). The writing, however, is quite poor, and I couldn't help but think I'd rather not have coffee with the author. It was a fine introduction to ...more
Nov 29, 2007 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents or Educators
This book was a remarkable look at the thory of multiple intelligences. It is written from a faith base, and encourages anyone with children in their lives to look deep into the behavior patterns of the kids and discover their "smarts". Whether it's word smart, picture smart, logic smart, body smart, people smart, or some thing else, Dr. Kathy Koch gives a super practical guide to helping your child see themselves as a one-of-a-kind, handmade creation, put together miraculously to serve a specif ...more
Kathleen Leverton
Great book! I will need to read more than once to glean all of the good, helpful information.
My rating was more between a 3.5 & a 4. I felt there was very helpful insights into understanding myself as well as my husband and children. I wish I could have read the book years ago.
This book is fantastic! I homeschool my kids, and I think this has helped me understand their learning styles more than any other book. It also helps me understand why they think and behave the way they do. Even if you don't homeschool, this is invaluable for understanding your kids.
Eldon Siemens
my wife and I read this while driving on the highway, and found it really good in helping both to understand our kids better and assist on our planning of their home education in the months and years ahead. highly recommended!
I have read this book over and over. I even color-coded the pages so I can quickly find the intelligence I want to re-read. I use it in my classroom to help students see that they are all smart in different ways.
Jeanne Ellis case
A quick read and good conversation starter for kids who are otherwise gifted. Dr Kathy is a great speaker too. It is a bit over the top Christian for this progressive Christian but that's Dr Kathy.
I think Koch has some good points in this book but some things she says that she has said to kids brought the book down to a 2...otherwise it would have been a 3. Informative...not too entertaining.
Excellent book to help parents understand the different intelligences and how God has created each of us (our children too) with unique combinations of smarts.
since I have 3 granddaughters,I wanted to learn what special gifts each of them have and how to help develop them further.
Dr. Koch is a friend of mine. I love how she takes the jargon of education and puts it into the hands of everyday people.
This book is so well written and informative! It will teach you how to figure out your child's intellegence.
Not the best written book, but deals with interesting information. It made for a good group discussion.
Jenni M
Jenni M is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Lori marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Yolanda Pender
Yolanda Pender marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Sarah added it
Oct 01, 2015
Katie Castro
Katie Castro marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Carollida marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4-8
  • God's Chosen Fast
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
DR. KATHY KOCH is the Founder and President of Celebrate Kids, Inc., a Christian ministry based in Fort Worth, Texas. She is an internationally celebrated speaker who has influenced thousands of parents, teachers, and children in over 25 countries through keynote messages, workshops, seminars, assemblies, and other events. She also blogs regularly at
Dr. Kathy's newest book, co
More about Kathy Koch...
Screens and Teens: Connecting with Our Kids in a Wireless World Finding Authentic Hope and Wholeness: 5 Questions That Will Change Your Life No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want