Start by marking “Fireborn: Embers of Atlantis” as Want to Read:
Fireborn: Embers of Atlantis

Fireborn: Embers of Atlantis

Powerful scions walk the streets of modern London, oblivious to their true nature. Unknowingly, they carry within them the spirits of reincarnated dragons from an age of high fantasy. As magic begins to emerge once more in the 21st century, long-dormant memories begin to flood the minds of these scions, reminding them of their mystical heritage. Welcome to the world of ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Fantasy Flight Publishing (first published August 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fireborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireborn

Karissa
Sep 09, 2011 Karissa rated it liked it
I got a copy of this book from Fantasy Flight Games in exchange for an honest review. I have previously read a number of books by Tracy Hickman (Deathgate Cycle, Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, and some Dragonlance) and enjoyed them. So I was eager to read his latest work. The book was okay; it presents a very interesting world...but the characters are lackluster and some of the storyline a bit contrived.

Ethan Gallows is a cameraman in a world gone mad. Things are falling apart and magic is real
Lindsay Stares
Jan 06, 2012 Lindsay Stares rated it liked it
Premise: Based on the Fireborn role-playing game. Ethan Gallows, ace cameraman, liked his life and his job, until his footage of unbelievable events was 'proved false' and no one believed the truth. He's been making the best of it in a world gone mad until his dreams start leaking into his waking life. Plus people start telling him not only is he a reincarnated dragon, but he has to rescue his brother, who is trying to kill them all.

This is a decent book, fun and fairly interesting, with well dr
Tobias Cooper
Apr 08, 2015 Tobias Cooper rated it it was ok
Life's too short to persist with a dull book.

It is singularly failing to grip me, which is a shame when the idea behind the story is a good one.

I'm also getting very irritated by the "product placement" within the story.

"The new model of Sennheiser EW400 wireless microphones were a great improvement"

Why is this here? As I see it there are two reasons for including sentences like this one, and there are several others I could have chosen: advertising/endorsements (if these are real products) or
Aaron
Jul 09, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it
Shelves: games, urban-fantasy
Ah, gaming fiction. You tease so much, and explain so little. This is the first book in the novel series to support the Fireborn tabletop roleplaying game. The basic setup of the universe, from what I can tell, is that after having disappeared long ago, magic has come back into the world, and the souls of dragons and firbolg and other "fairy" creatures that were hidden inside human bloodlines are now coming out and breaking free. Kind of an over-the-top urban fantasy setting. Some of the ideas ...more
Christian Petrie
Jan 07, 2012 Christian Petrie rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I read something by Tracy Hickman, so it was his name being associated with the book that made me more interested in. At the end of reading it, it is not bad.
The concept of magic and mythical beasts returning to the present world, had potential. The way Hickman writes it, helps to pull the story off. The situations created were different and brought to life with his writing. The downside to the story were the characters. I found myself more interested in the situations.
Ray Wodanson
Jun 20, 2012 Ray Wodanson rated it did not like it
Well first off I am a fan of the roleplaying game this is based off and I was very excited to see a novel come out based on this world. My excitement wore off 30 some pages into the book. Even knowing some of the back story to the game it left me feeling lost and confused, who is ethan and why do I care? I had such high hopes for this book but I was sorely disappointed. The author tried to add too much too quickly without explaining it. If there had been a page or two in the front explaining why ...more
Chris Farrell
Jan 15, 2014 Chris Farrell rated it did not like it
Oh dear. This was really not good - no plot, no character development, mediocre writing, it's just somebody's lousy roleplaying adventure transcribed. Some of FFG's Android books, while not well-written, are at least fun ancillaries to their various gaming lines. Fireborn was an interesting and very clever RPG idea killed by FFG's inability do basic execution (or even proofreading), and this novel will not revive it.
Tammy Kesteloot
Dec 05, 2014 Tammy Kesteloot rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011
First Impressions...

The cover is cool! I think it's my love of Dragons and the color blue that drew my eyes to this book. I am hoping the story pulls me as quickly. Starting book on 5-18-11

6-20-11
This book had too much going on to keep me interested. The author tries to juggle a past-lives thing, with a sci-fi twist. Not to mention the history and mythical worlds of the lost city of Atlantis. I couldn't push myself to finish it.
Luis
Mar 01, 2013 Luis rated it liked it
Novel which mixes urban fantasy with high fantasy as the story is told in two different timelines, one being the "dragon age" and another the modern age. The excellent writing by Tracy Hickman elevates the material above the usual fantasy fare by giving the characters more depth. Based on the Fireborn role-playing game.
Jason
Apr 08, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-high
I really like the setting, and I think the first 3/4 of the book are an entertaining read. A bizarre side trip takes up too much time right before the finale. While not perfect, I enjoyed it. I hope there will be more books set in this world.
Nisa
Jun 14, 2014 Nisa rated it liked it
I loved the story, characters and themes of this book, but this book was a bit too graphic for me and comes with a swearing warning.
George Ramos
George Ramos rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Betsy Sands
Betsy Sands rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Graham Reynolds
Graham Reynolds rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Infernal Teddy
Infernal Teddy rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Bernie
Bernie rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Ak
Ak rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Rosanna Vastakis
Rosanna Vastakis rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Adam Pearson
Adam Pearson rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Jeremiah
Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Tomer Klein
Tomer Klein rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Blindpieu
Blindpieu rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Lynette White
Jun 23, 2012 Lynette White rated it really liked it
Shelves: tracy-hickman
Great book in true Tracy Hickman style.
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Leon
Leon rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Norbert
Good...a little magic/punk. Real world of guns meets magic and dragons.
R.nocera
R.nocera rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more
More about Tracy Hickman...